advertisement

Her Majesty the Queen RIP

Thankfully we're in an age where there are so many alternatives to broadcast media that if you so choose this can pass you by with barely any disruption. I didn't even know anything about it until reading this thread.

She had a hard job and gave her whole life to what she believed was her duty. Unlike some royals, British or otherwise, she did almost nothing to use her privileges for her own pleasure. Monarchy is certainly "wrong," but it was not her job to abolish it, it was the job of the British people and its political parties, neither of which showed much inclination to do so.

I’m looking forward to the practice of the ritual sacrifice of any current royal correspondents such as Nicholas Witchell and Jenny Bond to aid in the passing of Liz to the royal afterlife. They knew it was bound to happen at some point yet they still carried out their subservient grovelling without any thought to themselves, such a noble sacrifice.

Watched part of the coronation on a 9" tv in glorious black and white, seemed to me that messrs Hilary and Tensin where more interesting and important. Would not display animosity but they represent and head a class system and a form of servitude that is several centuries out of date.

It is plainly nonsense to display anything but regret to the passing of an elderly person.

I lost any feeling I may have had for royalty when Queen Mary died on a Wednesday and a Ice hockey match at Streatham was cancelled.

While the monarchy may be an anachronism, the Queen has represented a stability and continuity during her long reign, and a positive influence which may be the envy of some other countries. As constitutional experts have commented this afternoon, Queen Elizabeth ll has been the epitome of the neutral constitutional monarch.

Prince Philip was once asked ‘how long can you (the monarchy) go on for’, and he replied ‘as long as we’re wanted’. In theory, in a democracy, the country could anytime choose an alternative head of state structure, though in reality, inertia to and the practicalities of such a constitutional change make it easier said than done.

For me, the monarchy is good value, and unless going for something like the Irish presidential model, almost certainly sparing us the potential for another level of political corruption and shenanigan. That’s something I’m content with.

It wasn’t meant to be cryptic and I apologise it it came across like that. My earlier point was that her stabilising influence which has gone unnoticed will be felt by its absence very quickly. I think there’s going to be civil unrest.[/QUOTE

Understood. I think there may be civil unrest regardless - that’s brewing due to other factors. And we’ve had plenty of civil unrest in her reign. Not sure she’s ever been a stabilising influence in that respect.

I might even suggest that the four corners of the UK are less united than ever. Is that due to her stabilising influence?

Where is all this “I respect her personally whilst denouncing the institution” bullshit coming from? She was perfectly content to live with a vile racist for 70 years. She sheltered and protected her nonce son. And she went out of her way to avoid paying tax. She was as abysmal as the rest of them.

Not to mention: white, male and privileged.

This is becoming a rather distasteful thread.

She was born into privilege but also a life of service and she took her duties extremely seriously. She performed her duties rather well to my eyes and has probably been the most restrained monarch we have ever had in this country. I am no royalist but equally not particularly against the whole pomp and pageant they stand for. It is a long and fascinating history and it may have reached its natural end; I am ambivalent but it does sadden me that people cannot pause their hostility for a day or two to allow recognition of the end of life.

advertisement

Back