advertisement

help please

Thanks, Guy.

Your V500 gives much better results with transparency film than I ever got with flatbed scans of my 35mm slides, but it's obvious your Epson really shines with negative film. Honestly, the results are excellent.

Also nice to see that the inexpensive V500 is much better than the very expensive MicroTek scanner I was using at work at the time. My blocked up shadows usually came out with an ugly green cast, like in this MicroTek-scanned 35mm slide. Look at the top right dark area for the most egregious example of blotchy, green colour cast shadows.

Ugh.

Joe

Has anyone tried any of the maskless colour neg films? This is the only other option as far as I can see and might help me judge my development better since looking at basically orange negs i'm finding it very hard to tell if i've done a good job.

Cesare

Hi Cesare, I have been mucking about with all sorts of negs and reversal (slide) film. I find that it depends enormously on the lens and subject. Vivid saturation slide film works well with colourful subjects on Zeiss Planar lenses. Muted NC Kodak neg film works well on sharper than sharp fujinon optics. My olympus Zuiko lenses love Fuji Superia.

Which maskless negative stock did you have in mind? I think AGFA make some (Aviphot Color & Aviphot Chrome) but it is hard to get anything other than Kodak or Fuji in London.

in my quest to buy more and more cameras I am now thinking about Hasselblad,
what sort of budget do I need to get into an entry level one?,

David

Bloody hell, you've only just got a Bronica! You're looking about 500 notes and up, unless you happen to get lucky on ebay (I saw one go for £400, but then they all shot up after as people thought they'd be in for a bargain).
I bought a 500cm body and WLF for £160, a back for £60 and a 150mm lens for £220 (although they can be had for a bit less) so you can do it cheaper, but the 80mm 2.8 standard lenses generally go for quite a bit of cash as possibly they were never sold independently of the body or something (not sure) so it'd cost more if you wanted the 'kit'.

Cesare: I was looking for maskless neg film for ages, couldn't find any 120 in this country so I gave up on it and bought a 4490 scanner instead. You should get a Tetinal E6 kit.

Yes, you are right. I should have a go with an E6 kit.

The thing is I bought a 5L C41 tetenal kit since the price was good compared to the 1L kit (I paid £40 for it direct from tetenal). I didn't appreciate quite how many films i'd be able to develop through it though! At the current rate i'd get 80 - 100 films out of the kit. Chances are though the chemicals will age before I finish it...

Cesare

don't get me wrong I really like what the Bronica does and I'm enjoying learning how to use it,

I just like to know where to upgrade to:)

RZ67 of course. Why get two 6*6 format cameras? 6*7 is quite a bit bigger than 6*6.

Cesare

Why the hurry for a Hasselblad - put some film through the SQA for a while and see if MF is for you.

Yes, you are right. I should have a go with an E6 kit.

The thing is I bought a 5L C41 tetenal kit since the price was good compared to the 1L kit (I paid £40 for it direct from tetenal). I didn't appreciate quite how many films i'd be able to develop through it though! At the current rate i'd get 80 - 100 films out of the kit. Chances are though the chemicals will age before I finish it...

Cesare

I wonder if keeping them in the fridge would make them last longer? That might be a terrible idea :)

advertisement

Back