advertisement

help please

I've only got a cheap Epson all in one so I doubt it'll scan negs,

what are good ones to look at?,

I'm getting a bit worried, I seem to have transferred my desire to buy hifi to buying cameras

Joe, I confess I have not shot slide film ever -- color is 99% digital for me (please don't take my PFM photo club members card away). However, I think Guy gets comparable results to Pete's V700 with slide film, and his flickr shots look great.

Hmmm, OK scratch that :) Vibbles - I can vouch it does a very nice job with 120 Neopan 400 (B&W).

V500 works great with both slide and neg, though I've found neg a little easier. I'm a fan of Vuescan too, though Pete and Ian both use the built-in Epson software well too.

I'm using Provia/Velvia 120 with an Epson 4490 and a Better Scanning adapter. The adapter makes scanning faster and easier, and maybe gives better resolution - but I don't fret about resolution too much anyway.

I just use the Epson software.

Examples on flickr. (The square ones are mostly film.)

Guy -- Do you think your V500 does as good a job with trannie film as neg film?

I've been doing some reading and the Dmax of the V700 is higher and it seems to be the flatbed of choice if the MF nutter mainly shoots slides.

Patrick -- Is the 4490 closer to the V500 or V700 in performance?

Joe

Joe, the V500 I believe.

For posting stuff on the internet I don't really think it matters. If I wanted something high quality (apart from not choosing one of my shots), I'd pay and get it scanned on an Imacon and printed on Cibachrome or something.

Joe - I started out with trannie film for six months, loving the colours and look after digital. V500 did a grand job while I was learning. I now prefer the more muted/subtle colours and contrast, and much extended dynamic range of neg film. Slide film, especially 400asa, can have very 'coloured' and blocked up shadows, when scanned with a flatbed. It's a great 'look', but it can get a bit much after a while. Neg is very forgiving on shadows and highlights, and I've found white balance very easy to get, 90% of the time on auto settings. Fuji Pro400H has been fantastic for me.

I doubt if there's much between differing flatbeds, you'd probably need to get to low-end drum scans to get the most out of slide film.

Guy,

As you know i'm struggling somewhat with colours. I've had more luck with Kodak NC films than the VC, and find this produces more of the drab london that I recognise. I'm going to have a go with some slide film just in case this makes me feel happier with the world.

Has anyone tried any of the maskless colour neg films? This is the only other option as far as I can see and might help me judge my development better since looking at basically orange negs i'm finding it very hard to tell if i've done a good job.

Cesare

Patrick and Guy,

Thanks. I started scanning 35mm slide film with a flatbed. Occasionally, I'd get a decent scan, but more often than not the results were between ugh and meh, instead of wow.

But that was back in 2001-03, when even expensive flatbeads were crap with film. I take it that flatbeds have improved a lot since then.

I hope the V500 is up to the task, as it's the only one I can afford right now.

Joe

Cesare - I tried some Kodak 400NC (I've got some at the moment, as 7dayshop had run out of Fuji). I found it not quite as easy as Fuji, but certainly not problematic. But I think if you want instant Velvia-type punch, a straight scan from neg can look relatively dull, almost digital. I use a -25 shadows and +25 lights curve in camera raw on the scans, with auto contrast, but never bugger about with saturation or the colour channels.

Joe - I really think you won't be disappointed with the V500.

Guy,

Do you have an example of a V500 scanned slide?

Joe

P.S. That frame pic of yours is amazing.

Joe,

I've only just caught this thread. I have a V500 at work and am very impressed with its speed and quality. I've scanned many negatives (private, not work, so don't tell anyone) although as yet, no slides. If Guy doesn't have an example, I'll dig out a slide and scan it tomorrow. My brother has the earlier model that the V500 replaced (forgot the number) and he was always disappointed with its transparency scans. He saw the results from the V500 and was envious as hell.

Regards

Sean

Thanks, Sean.

Judging from Guy's results, as well as those of others, the V500 is excellent with neg film, so no worries there. It’s a helluva scanner for $275 Cdn.

However, my 120 scanning will likely be 90% slide film (Astia 100F, Provia 100F, Velvia 100 and Ektachrome 100 VS) and 10% negative film (Tri-X and Neopan), so how the V500 copes with transparency film is my main concern.

Joe

advertisement

Back