advertisement

Help me choose a motorbike

A 1980s BMW R80, reliable and good handling.

Mine, bought new in 1983, in 45,000 miles went through cracked coils (they all do that sir), spark plug tops, indicator control box melting issues, oil seal failure. It handled well, apart from the engine's torque reaction and cruised easily at 100 mph (or 95 point 27 according to a nice policeman).

I enjoyed it. It was fast enough and carried its weight low. A 1993 BMW 750 brick was nicer though and they go for around 2000 quid!

That the K75 brick Herb - you recommend one ?

Been looking at those recently. (Floged my CB450K5, and have cash burning a hole in my pocket (and a nice bike-sized space in my garage :) ). The K75s seem closer to the 3500 euro mark round here, and on the German online classifieds.

My only worry would be the fuelling and ABS computers, Setting up the fuelling can be tricky. I gather they can do 200,000 miles without engine problems if maintained properly. They handle well and are unstressed at any speed. They sound nice with the three cylinders and if was 20 years younger I would snap up a good one. I crashed mine into the back of a Renault 5 in Oban, my fault, and I gave up motorcycling. It was to be my last bike, a real keeper.

I enjoyed it. It was fast enough and carried its weight low. A 1993 BMW 750 brick was nicer though and they go for around 2000 quid!
That's a lot of machine for not much money. Same goes for the F650. Is that a Rotax? Dirt cheap either way.

A 1993 BMW 750 brick was nicer though and they go for around 2000 quid!

£2k is arguably the sweet spot for semi-justifiable bikes for transport rather than indulgence. I would lean more towards a 10 year old Suzuki SV650S with mods because 30 year old bikes will have problems, decent fuel injection for economy, well developed, lots around, not too heavy, adequate speed, fairing (but handlebars require changing),... Others?

I did a quick check on ebay and yes the Suzukis look good, £3K for low mileage example and much the same for a K75 with about 60,000 miles (just run in)..

My last ride was in 1999 and I'm out of touch now but I would fancy a Honda VFR750, the Suzuki or a big single, or even the 350s already mentioned

Commandos are £8k upwards and big air cooled Kawasakis much the same or much more for the special ones. Triumph triples from 20 years ago are cheap as are Honda Africa Twins. All bikes I have had in the past and all pretty solid.

Too old now sadly.

Interesting thread. I restored a 1951 BSA Bantam last year but found it, like you, far too underpowered for the hills of Devon. Even on the flat it was a liability in modern traffic. Poor brakes, no brake light, no indicators.
I also got a Yamaha 125 - a Wr125x super moto to practice on L plates. After much faffing around through lockdown I passed my full test in October.
I ended up getting a new Honda CB500X. I am very happy with it. Very comfy, good looking, frugal, long service intervals and fun.
Enjoy your vintage Honda, it looks like a lovely bike.

Suzuki GS550 or 750 for total reliability (other than an alternator now and then until you fit a Superdream rectifier/regulator). Better than the Honda models which they were intended to take on and beat, but the 550 is rather large and heavy for a 550. For a "modern classic" a Honda VFR750 is a very nice bike indeed and about the best build quality out there. Very reliable but fiendishly complicated to work on if it ever does go wrong....

Thread resurrection...

How does the VFR800 compare, do you know?

I’m considering getting back on two wheels, and back in the 90’s the VFR750 was my dream bike.

Probably the Honda or an equivalent BMW? Looking at something with ABS and some basic creature comforts.

My son took the MSX125 out earlier and filled it with diesel instead of petrol, and didn't realise until it had cut out. It's been recovered home by the RAC now, but need to decide if it's going to the dealer to be fixed or if I'll have a go myself.

Thread resurrection...

I’m considering getting back on two wheels, and back in the 90’s the VFR750 was my dream bike.

Probably the Honda or an equivalent BMW? Looking at something with ABS and some basic creature comforts.

Have never heard a bad report about the VFR800. Might have posted this before, but it's sill a decent looking bike - the brothers long term/keeper VFR750. If it's anything to go by, the 800 should be a rather fine machine:

CRHJjDBh.jpg

My son took the MSX125 out earlier and filled it with diesel instead of petrol, and didn't realise until it had cut out. It's been recovered home by the RAC now, but need to decide if it's going to the dealer to be fixed or if I'll have a go myself.
I'd have a go myself. Diesel in petrol injection is the right way round, diesel is kind to fuel pumps and seals. Drain, bleed, clean out and live with a little white smoke in the exhaust.

Thread resurrection...

VFRs are lovely. An 800 is reckoned to be just as good as the 750 was and brought up to date.

I was passing Two Wheels in Edinburgh just before lockdown and had a seat on the VFR800. Still a lovely bike and to be fair I rode one almost 20 years ago it really could be all the bike you need, but at the time I was looking for something a bit faster ( bought a new Yamaha Thunderace).
However as I approach 60 I found like many of the bikes nowadays the seat to be high especially when getting on it. I think riding it would still be ok though just not sure how many years my hips will allow me to gracefully
clamber on!
Also although a four cylinder the V4 arrangement does give it a very specific sound from the seat. Some will like it, others may not. Must admit I wasn’t sure!

I was passing Two Wheels in Edinburgh just before lockdown and had a seat on the VFR800. Still a lovely bike and to be fair I rode one almost 20 years ago it really could be all the bike you need, but at the time I was looking for something a bit faster ( bought a new Yamaha Thunderace).
However as I approach 60 I found like many of the bikes nowadays the seat to be high especially when getting on it. I think riding it would still be ok though just not sure how many years my hips will allow me to gracefully
clamber on!
Also although a four cylinder the V4 arrangement does give it a very specific sound from the seat. Some will like it, others may not. Must admit I wasn’t sure!

Two Wheels is where I get most of my bikes from - the owner (previously owner maybe) had a kid in the same class as one of mine so I used to get a decent deal from them.

My CBF needs an MOT and service so will need to schedule a trip there soon. I've had a look at VFR's a few times and would probably have bought one if I was restricting myself to a single bike.

Two Wheels is where I get most of my bikes from - the owner (previously owner maybe) had a kid in the same class as one of mine so I used to get a decent deal from them.

My CBF needs an MOT and service so will need to schedule a trip there soon. I've had a look at VFR's a few times and would probably have bought one if I was restricting myself to a single bike.
too many bikes, tough problem to have.

advertisement

Back