advertisement

Hash Browns.

I bought some last night, they aren't something I normally eat but I want to make a fish chowder and that was in the recipe.

I really like the flavour they impart.
along with the lamb it is what I like about a Lamb Cawl. sloo.

There are only four ingredients that should exist in a bowl of porridge. Oats, water, milk and SALT.

Ok, so I'm old school.

My friend's father, a farmer used to make porridge in very large batches and pour and store it in the pantry in a well scrubbed chest of drawers lined with linen or more likely old sheets. When hungry he would come in, cut a slice, microwave it and serve with butter and fresh homemade raspberry jam.

The last time i was in London I ordered a full English in a greasy spoon and it came with a salad on the plate and without black pudding. I was shocked, both by the unexpected ingredients and the omission (and by the price).

Bowl of trifle and a can of guinness is a nice wake me up.

Any leftovers are potentially breakfast if recovering from a session.
If it can be eaten cold that is a bonus as there is less effort.
Otherwise fry it. Or use God’s gift for the morning after, the mighty microwave oven.
Chinese/Indian takeaway? probably just eat it out of the container, cold.
The only thing that I have always warmed up for breakfast after a hard night is a kebab & chips. Fry that Mother up.

By far the best breakfast (or lunch) is huevos rancheros. Eggs simmered in salsa verde served over warm tortillas, sprinkled with a little queso fresco, accompanied with black beans and fried diced potatoes. A shame you can’t get it or even decent corn tortillas in the UK. I’m going to miss it.
Noooooo... Scrambled eggs on toast, with a covering of smoked salmon. Accompanied by fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh papaya and a black coffee. That's an unbeatable breakfast :p

Unfortunately getting even palatable Papaya in the UK is nigh on impossible. At least when it's compared to the ones in Brazil. (Similarly nothing comes close to the Watermelon in Brazil either).

Best thing you can do with left over chips is make a "Spanish"* Omelette out of them. I.e fry them up in a pan, add mixed eggs to give the chips a "scrambled egg" coating and season to taste. Often chopped fresh tomato and/or Chorizo is also added. Yummmmm......

*It's how we used to refer to it in my family at least. Though the way we made it wasn't like a typical Spanish Tapas serving. The mixture should be lose.

Best thing you can do with left over chips is make a "Spanish"* Omelette out of them. I.e fry them up in a pan, add mixed eggs to give the chips a "scrambled egg" coating and season to taste. Often chopped fresh tomato and/or Chorizo is also added. Yummmmm......

*It's how we used to refer to it in my family at least. Though the way we made it wasn't like a typical Spanish Tapas serving. The mixture should be lose.
That's got shades of a tortilla about it but it's none the worse for that. Chorizo, bacon, a bit of onion, you're not going wrong with any of that.

Reactions: gez
Porridge must be made with salt, so that it tastes sweet. If it tastes of salt you have used too much and it is vile. 3 pinches of salt for two people is about right (one cup of oats, 3 cups of mixed milk and water).

I quite like it with maple syrup, but brown sugar is more traditional.

I love my porridge, cooked in a porringer, using milk/water about 3:2, but I got acid reflux from this in the last year or so. Changed to all water (WITH SALT !) but it didn't seem to make much difference. Always with Greek style yog. and dried fruit, and banana. Must try maple syrup though instead of soft brown sugar.

Incidentally, why is there always so many fewer packets of brown sugar in supermarkets than white?
'Cos Demerara.

That really does seem like top of the list for "get someone else to make this for you". I looked it up. First get your alkalised maize flour (good luck), make up a dough and run it through your tortilla press. OK... Now make your salsa verde from half a dozen fresh herbs and ingredients. Right. Grate up some queso fresco, or in Europe you might get away with mozzarella or soft cheese, fry your diced potato and keep hot with some black beans that if you have any sense came out of a can. Great. Fry your tortillas in 2 pans, one warm to set the dough, the second hot to puff it up. Keep warm. That done, you can now poach your eggs and assemble the dish.

Yeah, right.
Well yes, even better if your local diner has it on the menu. You can get fresh tortillas, Mexican cheese and verde sauce in most supermarkets in the US, so not much more of a hassle than making a full English.

Well yes, even better if your local diner has it on the menu. You can get fresh tortillas, Mexican cheese and verde sauce in most supermarkets in the US, so not much more of a hassle than making a full English.
Those items are the show stoppers, for sure. Fryig some diced potatoes and warming up black beans is easy. But I had to look up the maize flour treatment, that's a toughie.
I imagine that in California it's no more difficult than asking for a sausage bap.

advertisement

Back