advertisement

Hash Browns.

with the exception of the leeks, which is just madness. There’s no place for anything green on a breakfast plate!

It is what I was raised with. My Dad who was a chef when he was young used to serve leeks with an English cooked breakfast every Sunday morning. The white bread was soaked in milk before he fried it as well…

I find the flavour of the (steamed or boiled) leeks works very well against the fatty foods on the plate.
Worth noting that The Wife thinks that having leeks with an English breakfast is an abomination…

I used to see cheap food outlets advertise 'breakfasts served all day' I thought then and now that this was linguistically an impossibility, though I s'pose it depends upon whether breakfast is determined by time or meal. I'll go with time as the determiner.
Breakfast is your first meal of the day whatever time you have it.

Thank goodness coffee originates from Lincolnshire and tea was first discovered on the slopes of the Medway Valley.
Was there a Boston coffee party as well? Re. Medway tea, I agree, being a Man of Kent. I've often seen it Strood like the Dickens around there.

The Full Monte English breakfast (in the south) should be Fried bread, beans, bacon, mushrooms and possibly sausages; accompanied by copious quantities of tea and a defibrillator.

Confusingly, the New O.E.D, has breakfast as 'a meal eaten in the morning; the first meal of the day'
Mike, I don't make the rules. The Wimpy menu says 'breakfast' so I order breakfast.

If I asked the lovely staff for a lunch of fried egg, mushrooms, hash browns, veg sausage, grilled tomato, baked beans and toast I suspect they'd just think me a little odd.

A decent breakfast must include a good helping of devilled kidneys and grilled kippers as far as I’m concerned.
I am very fond of lamb's kidneys marinated in chipotle powder and fresh garlic and flambéed in brandy for a late breakfast. Is that the same thing as devilled?

The smell drives my wife nuts.

How very dare you! It's the food of the Gods.

(Having said that. I have to admit that a lot of the Black Pudding south of the border is truly awful. The worst being that Bury Black Pudding sh*te that they seem to flog in most supermarkets. Irish and Scottish Black Pudding is usually excellent).
The times I've tried black pudding, I have to say I've found it very meh as far as taste is concerned. The texture somewhat weird .. and then I remember what one of the ingredients is and I nearly barf.

As for "american" hash browns. I've also never understood the attraction. Basically just dry overcooked (pretend in most cases) potato. As others I'd rather have a decently fried rosti or similar. Not that I do anyway, it's poached* or scrambled eggs on toast for me, with mushroom and bacon and a decent latte.

By the way: when it comes to poached eggs, does anyone else here always feel shortchanged when they're served those "chefy" poached eggs that are barely more than a sack of yolk with tendrils of egg white hanging off it?

Give me a complete egg poached in a plastic pot over steamed water any day. I don't understand why people would intentionally cook in a way that loses half the egg. (and then worse ask people to pay for it).

I like most of the breakfast components mentioned on this thread (including hash browns) but it's fried bread that really gets my heart racing.
Considering I've been known to eat cold Lasagne for breakfast, I think I can safely say I'd eat just about anything for breakfast. :)

Many years ago we discovered this black pudding

Now the Bury, lumps of white fat style black pudding makes me retch.
Hash browns are unnecessary for me as part of a cooked breakfast, I would rather have fried bread and a few pieces of wholemeal toast on the side.

I also like chopped leeks as part of an English, but most folk I know regard that as bonkers.
That's the blackest black pudding you'll ever see. Even the white bits are black!

With square sausage. Bubble & Squeak, fried so it's got a lovely brown, crunchy crust.

By far the best breakfast (or lunch) is huevos rancheros. Eggs simmered in salsa verde served over warm tortillas, sprinkled with a little queso fresco, accompanied with black beans and fried diced potatoes. A shame you can’t get it or even decent corn tortillas in the UK. I’m going to miss it.

That's the blackest black pudding you'll ever see. Even the white bits are black!

With square sausage. Bubble & Squeak, fried so it's got a lovely brown, crunchy crust.

We grill the Stornoway black pudding - it gets a nice crisp outer shell and the grilling gets rid of a bit of the fat.

Unless it's a wedding breakfast. That might be the attendees second or third meal of the day.
For those who have already had breakfast, a "wedding" breakfast is elevenses or lunch or tea or dinner. You might as well talk about a funeral breakfast or an engagement breakfast or a first piss of the day breakfast...

Love a fry up/full English. Don’t mind hash browns. But given the choice between hash browns or fried bread. Fried bread wins every time.

Hash browns - no! Vile greasy crap.
Rosti - why?
Potato cake/pancake - yes
Fried potato - better than hash browns or rosti, but I prefer option 3 if I want potato
Fried slice - yes
Bread and butter - yes
Tomato, beans, mushrooms - no
Black pudding - ok
Devilled kidney - yes but not on the same plate
Kippers - not for breakfast
Kedgeree - don't eat rice except when the wife wants it with chili.
Chips - there is no savoury dish that cannot be improved with chips.

advertisement

Back