advertisement

Hash Browns.

Same here, mum and dad always had leeks with breakfast, I loved it when I lived at home. Mum had the making of them off to a tee, in a milky sauce, just fabulous along with bacon and eggs etc

Ooh, I don’t know about leeks in a creamy sauce with a cooked breakfast, it would interfere with the egg or grilled tomato on my plate! - for me the delicious taste of the plain (boiled or steamed) leeks was enough. The Wife frequently cooks leeks in cream as an accompaniment to a roast dinner, that I do like.
At least I am not on my own with leeks/breakfast preferences :p

Considering I've been known to eat cold Lasagne for breakfast, I think I can safely say I'd eat just about anything for breakfast. :)
I've been know to have just wine for breakfast but these days a couple of croissant and a little cheese set me up for the day. The fried stuff can come latter in the day.

I don't mind a hash brown though I've always internally categorised them as a bit junky. Tbh for breakfast I'm pretty happy with a bowl of porridge.

Once spent a rather wild Hogmany with some friends in Dingwall many(many) years ago. A generous glass of whisky was served with the cooked breakfast the following morning. 🤪
Many decades ago while a teenager and on a camping trip with mates I recall pouring beer on my cornflakes as we didn't have any milk. Don't recall what beer but in those days it'd have been something cheap!

Was there a Boston coffee party as well? Re. Medway tea, I agree, being a Man of Kent. I've often seen it Strood like the Dickens around there.

The Full Monte English breakfast (in the south) should be Fried bread, beans, bacon, mushrooms and possibly sausages; accompanied by copious quantities of tea and a defibrillator.

“Possibly” sausages? Possibly??

There’s no possibly about it - the snorkers are essential!

I agree with the previous poster on the poor quality of some poached eggs, too. And there’s a special place in hell reserved for people who add vinegar to the cooking water. In fact, it’s the same room where you’ll find people who put salt into porridge.

Oh, and the only acceptable alcoholic accompaniment to breakfast is a glass of Buck’s Fizz.

I don't mind a hash brown though I've always internally categorised them as a bit junky. Tbh for breakfast I'm pretty happy with a bowl of porridge.
Good porridge with seeds, nuts, slices of banana and strawberries and a drizzle of honey. Great alternative to the eggs etc

By far the best breakfast (or lunch) is huevos rancheros. Eggs simmered in salsa verde served over warm tortillas, sprinkled with a little queso fresco, accompanied with black beans and fried diced potatoes. A shame you can’t get it or even decent corn tortillas in the UK. I’m going to miss it.
That really does seem like top of the list for "get someone else to make this for you". I looked it up. First get your alkalised maize flour (good luck), make up a dough and run it through your tortilla press. OK... Now make your salsa verde from half a dozen fresh herbs and ingredients. Right. Grate up some queso fresco, or in Europe you might get away with mozzarella or soft cheese, fry your diced potato and keep hot with some black beans that if you have any sense came out of a can. Great. Fry your tortillas in 2 pans, one warm to set the dough, the second hot to puff it up. Keep warm. That done, you can now poach your eggs and assemble the dish.

Yeah, right.

Good morning all,

Salt in porridge is the traditional way north of the border….. but then they make it with water as well and, IMHO, it tastes like s**t…

Made with milk at Courtiestown with double cream and maple syrup once served.

Regards

Richard

Confusingly, the New O.E.D, has breakfast as 'a meal eaten in the morning; the first meal of the day'
second half is correct...
I was initially confused, but only one is correct, Cav, because it's one sentence (= one option). There's a comma between the two phrases, meaning that the first meal of the day IS in the morning. Anybody's first meal of the day which occurs later in the day must be very uncommon. No, breakfast is determined by time of the day; no question ! :)

Has anybody mentioned pancakes? I have one at least once a week for breakfast; keeps me going for a long time. Maple syrup, honey, home-made jam, lemon juice, creamed coconut and a mix of dried and fresh fruit. Strewth but I feel hungry writing that; must go and have brekkie !

Porridge:

Odlums Irish Porridge Oats
Half and half milk and water

Top with a dollop of either double cream or, when available, brandy cream. Maple syrup is permissible.

Salt belongs on chips and NEVER in porridge!

advertisement

Back