advertisement

Has What Hi Fi fallen out with Rega?

From what I'm reading it would appear that practically every other manufacturer has got it wrong by advertising as it represents a cost which won't be recouped. It's amazing that any of those profligate money wasters are still in business! ☹️

From what I'm reading it would appear that practically every other manufacturer has got it wrong by advertising as it represents a cost which won't be recouped. It's amazing that any of those profligate money wasters are still in business! ☹️

A lot of the smaller manufacturers are owned/run by enthusiasts/engineers who don't always see the benefit of marketing. Not hard to spot, it's usually immediately apparent from the website, which frequently they'll have written themselves (badly), sometimes built themselves (badly) and often they've done their own product photography as well. Badly.

The result usually looks like a prop from Space 1999 or possibly something built in Albania in the mid-fifties.

Couple I can think of I'd love to help out, but they have to be willing to meet me half way (and actually spend some money).

But then again, I can think of a number of manufacturers who I personally consider would be better channelling some of their very large marketing spend into actually developing some decent products.

As ever, dull world if we were all the same.

A lot of the smaller manufacturers are owned/run by enthusiasts/engineers who don't always see the benefit of marketing. Not hard to spot, it's usually immediately apparent from the website, which frequently they'll have written themselves (badly), sometimes built themselves (badly) and often they've done their own product photography as well. Badly.

The result usually looks like a prop from Space 1999 or possibly something built in Albania in the mid-fifties.

Couple I can think of I'd love to help out, but they have to be willing to meet me half way (and actually spend some money).

But then again, I can think of a number of manufacturers who I personally consider would be better channelling some of their very large marketing spend into actually developing some decent products.

As ever, dull world if we were all the same.

I agree 100% with what you've written, the situation in a nutshell. It is sad when so many people believe that 'advertising' is all wasteful though. After many years in the industry I believe that done properly it can compliment a company cost-effectively and introduce them to customers who might otherwise never find out about them.

I agree 100% with what you've written, the situation in a nutshell. It is sad when so many people believe that 'advertising' is all wasteful though. After many years in the industry I believe that done properly it can compliment a company cost-effectively and introduce them to customers who might otherwise never find out about them.

Sometimes though it's virtually impossible to persuade them. I have one client I've worked with for a decade or so. The original MD was classic old school, never really understood what I could bring to the party (not for want of me trying) and used to irk me by referring to me as 'their IT guy.'

Yeah, I've spent 30 years in the creative industries so I could sort out email problems on his fecking iPhone.

Change of regime 4 years ago, new MD is from a background where actually communicating with your customers is valued and has me involved to a much greater degree.

I don't understand the virtue in not advertising.

Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark - you know what you're doing but nobody else does.

One of the few 2-channel audio companies that is growing as the market shrinks, maybe they know what they're doing?

I don't understand the virtue in not advertising.

Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark - you know what you're doing but nobody else does.

“Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket. ”

― George Orwell

notevenclose

Over the last 4 years has there been a positive tracking of the extra business brought in by the new improved web site?

One of the few 2-channel audio companies that is growing as the market shrinks, maybe they know what they're doing?

Exactly; I have always felt that by not advertising and using simple packaging they have gained credibility. I still have the functional packaging that my first Rega cartridge (RB100) came in. It had a small leaflet inside explaining their philosophy behind their simple packaging etc.

notevenclose

Over the last 4 years has there been a positive tracking of the extra business brought in by the new improved web site?

Well the existing website is only a year old and I built the one before that as well. But in times gone by that was all I did.

Under the new regime I've been progressively much more extensively involved.

This isn't the place to go into detail, but I know how their business is developing. Let's just say it's a pretty strong relationship.

I've done work for quite a few hi-fi industry clients, they're interesting projects for me because, er, I'm here, and the fact I speak their language undoubtedly helps.

Couple of my clients occasionally seek my opinions on hifi matters as well, which again increases involvement. Even if as was the case recently, I wasn't hugely taken with one particular product... oops.

But still, ..........somehow.......... we have all heard of them?
Rega don't need to advertise, their stuff gets reviewed by many magazines on a regular basis, let's not kid ourselves that this equipment magically enters the buyers psyche without advertising, of course it's advertised, just not by themselves. Rega seem confident enough in their products to let the dealer/reviewer come to them, same end result, lot's of publicity.
It's clever marketing as it creates a niche audience who then pass on their thoughts, this way it feels your buying from a very select company who havn't sold out, their marketing manager should receive an award for non advertising excellence.

I meant integrity right across the board, SME and Quad don't qualify. I've owned a lot of equipment, I truly cannot think of anyone close. I don't own Rega equipment at present and I have no connection with them whatever.

advertisement

Back