advertisement

Has What Hi Fi fallen out with Rega?

Have they, everything so far has been humorous, you are reading it that way (as per usual)

I doubt a judge would consider there to be any humour in your first libellous post.
How is
Wh$t Hi-Fi reviews are based on advertising spend so perhaps Rega are cutting back the budget spent there.

In any way humorous?

Nice to see these positive comments about Rega. No $100,000 amps and preamps just well engineered, high quality, and fine sounding equipment at reasonable prices year after year after year. A company with values that are worth appreciating and supporting.

Just for clarification purposes, Rega have never, in our 43 year history, paid for a single advertisement in any media publication, on line web site, blog or anywhere else for that matter.

I think that may well disappoint some people who would prefer the conspiracy theories and hopefully proves that What Hi Fi reviewers are completely independent and free to write as they find and not at all influenced by their advertising department or the spend from audio companies, which is indeed as we would all hope and expect.

Yes, personally, it may be disappointing that What HiFi do not like our loudspeakers, per se, but that's life.

Best,

Paul Darwin
Rega Research.

Paul
Regardless of the What Hi Fi review of your speakers, I should just like to say that I love my RX3's (though not yet reviewed by WHF) together with my Elicit R, and my Saturn R. My post was mainly to draw attention to the incongruity of a review which, within the text, appeared to praise major aspects of the designs, only to conclude that they weren't somehow satisfying. I find the RX3's to be very dynamic, and engaging, and therefore satisfying, and I'm sure that the RX1's and the RX5's will probably have a similar sonic signature.
At least WHF love the majority of the rest of your products!

Sour grapes ��

All the Rega products I've owned have been excellent
Me too, owned a few cd players & amps over the years, built to last, inside & out.
Currently using an old planet clamshell with Rega brio clamshell, you could hit this stuff with a sledgehammer & it would offer resistance (though I wouldn't recommend it :))

PS/ the review of the Rega Apollo-r in what hifi is utterly laughable, it is without hesitation the best sounding cd player I have encountered up to at least twice the price.

PS/ the review of the Rega Apollo-r in what hifi is utterly laughable, it is without hesitation the best sounding cd player I have encountered up to at least twice the price.

I stopped reading magazines way back and have no need reading Wathifi crap (unless I can use it for a comment in eBay auction text)

The Apollo along with most Rega gear is amazing value for money, plenty of music, less hifi, maybe thats "Whathifi" miss.!?

Kudos for Rega and their continuing analog turntable development
Luckily vinyl niche is moving ahead and Rega have a fair share of this

No ads, no forum moderator, no bling, no streaming madness, thousands of great turntables - may it continue

I don't understand the virtue in not advertising.

Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark - you know what you're doing but nobody else does.

Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark - you know what you're doing but nobody else does.

But still, ..........somehow.......... we have all heard of them?

A lot of rega sales does come from the dealers recommending and demonstrating the products and word of mouth . Generally the products sell themselves so no advertising required . What hi fi reviews are not taken too seriously these days and speakers are a matter of taste hence so many types available

But still, ..........somehow.......... we have all heard of them?

Just think what sales might be if not just forum members have heard about Rega. There is such a great story to tell that careful, clever advertising could easily raise their profile. Can you tell me any other hifi manufacturer of a comparable size that does NO advertising? :rolleyes:

Just think what sales might be if not just forum members have heard about Rega. There is such a great story to tell that careful, clever advertising could easily raise their profile. Can you tell me any other hifi manufacturer of a comparable size that does NO advertising? :rolleyes:

Probably about the same as they are now, I think Rega regularly sells everything they make.

The 'no advertising' thing arguably is in itself part of their brand values. IIRC it used to be the case that Rega wouldn't supply review equipment either - if a magazine wanted to test something, they had to prise the lid off the petty cash tin and go and buy one.

Roy Gandy's a very shrewd guy, I'm sure that policy wasn't adopted and maintained without knowing exactly what he was doing.

Err, we don't advertise. We always have too much work and turn a fair amount of work away.

I doubt somehow that Rega's sales would go up loads if they advertised as they are almost a household name anyway and it's quite possible that they are happy the size they are.

It's simple - the product sells itself by reputation and with support from its excellent dealership.

I've been reading What Hifi since the early 80's and even then Rega was well regarded.

When I worked in the industry (admittedly quite a few years ago now) Advertising spend in no way guaranteed a favorable review from What HiFi ( or any other UK mag)

I suspect it is still the same - industry is small and if that sort of thing went on your mag would be dust in weeks.

Advertising (any marketing budget) costs money.
That has to be paid for in the retail price of the equipment

I seem to recall that Rega didn't even like reviews of their products (even favourable ones) back in the '80s. This was because good reviews caused supply/demand fluctuations.

advertisement

Back