advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

Nice thread. I'll probably end up with one of these eventually. The problem is that the WT GTA just faultlessly, keeps on trucking.

In fact, as a classical listener I wish I hadn't listened to the dealer Bullshit and gone down the Linn rabbit hole in the mid 80s. I should have embraced CD and enjoyed the ride.

Easy to be wise in hindsight. First thing I noticed about the RP10 was how quiet it was. Next was the speed stability. You're right, a lot of music sounds plain wrong on the LP12 because the speed stability is not good enough. What's weird is the way it seems to suit other music and give the deck a bouncy timing feel most turntables lack.

I totally agree that for classical music the LP12 is not the best choice.

I love Technics DD turntables.
But Revox and Dual made awesome DD decks too. They use Papst motors and they are quartz-locked too.
I find it hard to listen to piano on a belt-driven deck, it sounds vague by comparison.
No such problems on direct drives, quartz-locked or not quartz-locked.
I have been using an SL-150 mk1 for some time (and an SL-1200 mk2 with RB-300 before that) and find it just great.
The Dual CS-741 and the B790 sound equally good.

We never really considered the Sondek as the goddess of turntables here, and never accepted the whole Tiefenbrun guru clever speech, for that matter.
A quality product no doubt, but almighty certainly not and hugely overpriced.
I remember a time in UK when any other decks were derided - especially if they were Japanese and Direct Drive! Not even mentioning rim-driven Garrards. I bought one for £ 100 20 years ago when nobody wanted them.
Same goes with Rega: good tables but not better than classic Thorens ones and always overpriced too here for what they were, ie highly profitable things for their manufacturer, at best!
We didn’t really go for them either.

The LP12 marketing juggernaut made you blind to superb products, unfortunately, back then.

The Linn dealers at the time were very well trained. A bit like evangelists. There are still those who buy into the DD is constantly hunting for the right speed so never right schtick.

If any Rega can do classical as well as this GR then hat's off to them.

I have a Stanton ST.150. I took off the original arm and fitted a new armboard. At the moment it has a Rega RB202 on it, but at some point (if ever I find the time), it would be interesting to try a better arm/cart on it, to get a flavour of what a direct drive can do.

I love Technics DD turntables.
But Revox and Dual made awesome DD decks too. They use Papst motors and they are quartz-locked too.
I find it hard to listen to piano on a belt-driven deck, it sounds vague by comparison.
No such problems on direct drives, quartz-locked or not quartz-locked.
I have been using an SL-150 mk1 for some time (and an SL-1200 mk2 with RB-300 before that) and find it just great.
The Dual CS-741 and the B790 sound equally good.

We never really considered the Sondek as the goddess of turntables here, and never accepted the whole Tiefenbrun guru clever speech, for that matter.
A quality product no doubt, but almighty certainly not and hugely overpriced.
I remember a time in UK when any other decks were derided - especially if they were Japanese and Direct Drive! Not even mentioning rim-driven Garrards. I bought one for £ 100 20 years ago when nobody wanted them.
Same goes with Rega: good tables but not better than classic Thorens ones and always overpriced too here for what they were, ie highly profitable things for their manufacturer, at best!
We didn’t really go for them either.

The LP12 marketing juggernaut made you blind to superb products, unfortunately, back then.
Describing Linn as a 'Marketing juggernaut' made me laugh. I seem to recall that the actual marketing heavyweights that killed off TTs were Philips & Sony with the CD player. Garrard were already in their death throws in the late 70s & 80s. Likening the big Japanese companies to minnows compared to Linn does seem a bit rich. Linn did train their dealers well though.

If any Rega can do classical as well as this GR then hat's off to them.

I can't say, as I've never heard the GR and don't even listen to much classical, but the speed stability on the RP10 is very good. Night and day better than the LP12.

Describing Linn as a 'Marketing juggernaut' made me laugh. I seem to recall that the actual marketing heavyweights that killed off TTs were Philips & Sony with the CD player.

No, Linn were pretty effective in rubishing other brands and design ethoses and the UK press were happy to help them. If you didn't live through it, reading the mags every month, it might be hard to grasp how bad it was.

No, Linn were pretty effective in rubishing other brands and design ethoses and the UK press were happy to help them. If you didn't live through it, reading the mags every month, it might be hard to grasp how bad it was.

Exactly my experience. I was there from 1980 on.

I can't say, as I've never heard the GR and don't even listen to much classical, but the speed stability on the RP10 is very good. Night and day better than the LP12.

I did live through it, I am 48. Technics dominated the DJ market with the 1210, these things happen. Mitchell, Pink Triangle, Rocksan were all well regarded TTs & I read many a favourable review of them. Rega dominated the entry level market. The reason why some brands didn't take off is down to them (reliability issues, not making products available to review etc).

Have never listen to any Technics 1200 type deck, old or these newer ones - is the difference vs equivalent belt-drive really so unmistakably obvious?

What do Technics owners do about decoupling their deck ? Is it resistant to floor borne vibration and footfall or is it better on a wall mount?

What do Technics owners do about decoupling their deck ? Is it resistant to floor borne vibration and footfall or is it better on a wall mount?

I tried my Techy on a lightweight table. It sounded broken. I really did think I'd broken it.

So it stays on my big, ugly lump of glass and iron. Seems to be immune to foot(and dance)fall. Focalpods as feet and the glass is on sorbothane - correctly weighted.

Not all belt drive turntables are as ancient as the Linn system. I have a spare belt for my TT and was told by the designer that the original belt should last for 20 years, longer if it was not turned off. No oil nor springs to play with. Not cheap mind but for me a lot better value than the top Linn setup.

Cheers,

DV

and it is ?

advertisement

Back