advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

The TT would not be on the dancefloor
We certainly used them on the dancefloor, and the only time they skipped a beat was when someone danced into the table (and received the death stare). They really did get treated like tools, and survived many flat moves, taxi boots to and from venues, smoke, ash, etc. More robust than me :)

and it is ?
Don't you read pfm posts? To save you the effort clicky linky;-

Your final turntable
yb11_spiralgroove1.jpg

Cheers,

DV

You may not have to wait another 2 weeks, I spoke to the guy at Doug Brady and he said that there had been a complete break in deliveries for a couple of months, but this seemed to have ended. Maybe this has something to do with the "wobbly platter" issues?

Thanks for the update. It sounds promising.

I now have it set up and running, it sounds pretty good, certainly loads better than the Thorens TD160 which was the last turntable I (briefly) owned. It's difficult to compare to the last "serious" turntable I owned (LP12/Ittok/AT-OC9/Valhalla) as I now have a different amplifier and speakers and I haven't played any records that I am familiar with yet.

I did live through it, I am 48. Technics dominated the DJ market with the 1210, these things happen. Mitchell, Pink Triangle, Rocksan were all well regarded TTs & I read many a favourable review of them. Rega dominated the entry level market. The reason why some brands didn't take off is down to them (reliability issues, not making products available to review etc).
so you were 1 when the Linn was launched? I'd guess the heavy duty marketing drive went through to about the late 80's? You'd have been 18. Early HiFi starter were you???:)

No 1200 was ever ‘made for DJ’ with the possible exception of the new Mk.7.

If not then what’s the point of the ‘pop up’ in the dark cuing light and the vast ‘on the fly’ pitch adjustment? Both of these, but particularly the pitch slider, are pointless unless you are a DJ - at which point they become very useful.

If not then what’s the point of the ‘pop up’ in the dark cuing light and the vast ‘on the fly’ pitch adjustment? Both of these, but particularly the pitch slider, are pointless unless you are a DJ - at which point they become very useful.
I've only had mine for 1 day and I have already found the pop-up cuing light useful! I like to listen in a darkish room.
I believe that pitch adjustment can be very handy for 78rpm enthusiasts - the records were often recorded at approximate speeds.

With respect, I find the idea that the huge slide adjustment for speed is for the benefit of 78rpm users highly unlikely (very creative though). As for the pop up light, well the majority of non-DJ turntables seem to have survived without such a feature.

With respect, I find the idea that the huge slide adjustment for speed is for the benefit of 78rpm users highly unlikely (very creative though). As for the pop up light, well the majority of non-DJ turntables seem to have survived without such a feature.

Whatever you think it was not originally launched as a DJ turntable;

"Technics SL-1200 is a series of direct-drive turntables originally manufactured from October 1972 until 2010, and resumed in 2016, by Matsushita (now Panasonic) under the brand name of Technics. S means "Stereo", L means "Player". Originally released as a high fidelity consumer record player, it quickly became adopted among radio and disco club disc jockeys, thanks to the direct drive, high torque motor design, making it initially suitable for pushbutton cueing and starting of tracks on radio and in dance clubs."

so you were 1 when the Linn was launched? I'd guess the heavy duty marketing drive went through to about the late 80's? You'd have been 18. Early HiFi starter were you???:)
Both Linn & Naim were at their peak in the 80s through to the 90s. I bought my first syslem when I was 22 I think. Always been interested in music & hi-fi, teenage boys reading about cars & hifi was quite a thing back in the day. Couldn't afford either at the time. If you want to llok at marketing & hype, Amstrad is probably a better example;)

advertisement

Back