advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

If not then what’s the point of the ‘pop up’ in the dark cuing light and the vast ‘on the fly’ pitch adjustment? Both of these, but particularly the pitch slider, are pointless unless you are a DJ - at which point they become very useful.

The Mk2 introduced features like these because they were popular with DJs who had already taken the Mk1 deck to their hearts. This does not change the fact that the deck was never specifically designed as an out-and-out DJ turntable.

In addition, a good few B&O linear tracking turntables, plus the latest Luxman PD171A, have stylus illumination lamps, and nearly all Goldring Lencos have on-the-fly pitch adjustment from 16-80rpm, but they aren't DJ decks either!

My, post LP12, JVC JLA 40 t/t had pitch control. It was quite common.

And what's wrong with a cueing light? Could've done with that after many JD's and low lighting.

But I have one now- SL1210.

The Mk2 introduced features like these because they were popular with DJs who had already taken the Mk1 deck to their hearts. This does not change the fact that the deck was never specifically designed as an out-and-out DJ turntable.

In addition, a good few B&O linear tracking turntables, plus the latest Luxman PD171A, have stylus illumination lamps, and nearly all Goldring Lencos have on-the-fly pitch adjustment from 16-80rpm, but they aren't DJ decks either!

Sorry, but I remain unconvinced. The1200/1210 has had the DJ pitch slider for 30+ years and I see Technics have not deleted it from the latest incarnation.

The SL1200 has always had a pitch control, here’s a pic of my auction find mid-70s SL120 Mk1:

13714977834_ea71c54a4b_b.jpg

Here it is two individual pots by the power/speed control. This was designed as a hi-fi deck. The MkII (which is a better deck) recognised it was also being widely used in pro-audio (broadcast, clubs, studios etc) so made the feature more accessible. It never stopped being a hi-fi deck! I can fully understand Technics retaining what is now a truly iconic piece of design in the latest upmarket version. The SL1200 is unquestionably the most famous/iconic turntable on the planet, it is ubiquitous and recognised by everyone. A true design classic. With brand recognition like that who the hell wouldn’t use it?!

PS I notice they have relaunched the SL1500 too, which has a far simpler look.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/technics-sl-1200g-turntabletonearm/?page=3

This reviewer seems very keen on pitch adjustment - that said, I am not sure that I would be able to spot the level of difference that he is quoting.
However if indeed there are (small) variations in recording speeds then I think I can see the logic of having pitch adjustment on the fly (albeit the size of the control feature on the deck and perhaps the range of variation might be over the top)??

Last edited:
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/technics-sl-1200g-turntabletonearm/?page=3

This reviewer seems very keen on pitch adjustment - that sure I am not sure that I would be able to spot the level of differences that he is quoting.
However if indeed there are (small) variations in recording speeds then I think I can see the logic of having pitch adjustment on the fly (albeit the size of the control feature on the deck and perhaps the range of variation might be over the top)??

I don't have DD deck, but mine is equipped with a pitch (well, speed) adjustment, and despite using a motor locked to mains frequency, it drifts. That's the motor, not the belt or table. I imagine a DD deck is as vulnerable to current fluctuation as any other motor that has electricity in it? (Forgive the highly technical jargon:) )

Mine will be getting replaced - it was damaged in shipping (I hadn't noticed it last week), I spoke to Doug Brady and they had another one that was damaged in exactly the same way from the same batch. The packaging isn't particularly robust - especially on the left hand side where the turntable plinth sits pretty close to the outside of the box and mine has a ding on the front-left corner.
So if you are having one delivered check the packaging carefully.
In the mean time it is sounding better and better every day...

Mine will be getting replaced - it was damaged in shipping (I hadn't noticed it last week), I spoke to Doug Brady and they had another one that was damaged in exactly the same way from the same batch. The packaging isn't particularly robust - especially on the left hand side where the turntable plinth sits pretty close to the outside of the box and mine has a ding on the front-left corner.
So if you are having one delivered check the packaging carefully.
In the mean time it is sounding better and better every day...

Interesting, I rang them today and was told I was number 2 in line. The chap I spoke to also said it would be better to pick it up in person, which is my preference anyway, rather than have it delivered. I think I now know why!

Interesting, I rang them today and was told I was number 2 in line. The chap I spoke to also said it would be better to pick it up in person, which is my preference anyway, rather than have it delivered. I think I now know why!
Yes, if you can, I would pick it up in person. If we were shipping something of that weight from my work we would have it on a quarter-pallet or at least double-box it.

I don't have DD deck, but mine is equipped with a pitch (well, speed) adjustment, and despite using a motor locked to mains frequency, it drifts. That's the motor, not the belt or table. I imagine a DD deck is as vulnerable to current fluctuation as any other motor that has electricity in it? (Forgive the highly technical jargon:) )

Standard servo-controlled direct drive decks are prone to wandering a bit but a Quartz Locked one is completely independent of fluctuations in the mains. The mains would have to fluctuate so high that it started blowing components or so low that regulators started browning out before a QL deck wobbled!

I really want a decent 1200, probably a mk2. Haven’t quite got the budget for a 1200G unless someone wants to buy a Yamaha D-9? I’ll start a WTD thread, sorry.

Anyway, my question... Does anyone else here on PFM actually do any mixing on their 1200’s? I love doing it, moved from 1210s to Numark CD decks and sold them all when kids arrived and I stopped partying. :/

You may not have to wait another 2 weeks, I spoke to the guy at Doug Brady and he said that there had been a complete break in deliveries for a couple of months, but this seemed to have ended. Maybe this has something to do with the "wobbly platter" issues?

Well, 2 months later and I’ve heard nothing from Doug Brady. I’m going to call them at the weekend and cancel the order.

Is it really that difficult to get one? I might as well give up any hope of obtaining a 1200G and just be happy with my 1200mk2s. In fact I am really quite satisfied with the 1200mk2...

advertisement

Back