advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

Is it really that difficult to get one? I might as well give up any hope of obtaining a 1200G and just be happy with my 1200mk2s. In fact I am really quite satisfied with the 1200mk2...

I was told by Sevenoaks that no UK stock has been available since April this year

Well, 2 months later and I’ve heard nothing from Doug Brady. I’m going to call them at the weekend and cancel the order.
That's a bummer, I was close to cancelling my order and you have been waiting a lot longer than me.

Four months in total. The only communication I've had in that time is when I phoned Brady's at the beginning of June.
Looks like I may be waiting quite some time for them to replace the damaged one that I received...To be fair, when they did have any information to impart they did contact me promptly, but a regular "sorry we are still waiting to hear anything new" call would be nice.

I was told by Sevenoaks that no UK stock has been available since April this year

I wouldn't necessarily trust this. Salespeople are sometimes was forced to tell people things like to either a;avoid people canceling an order or b; to buy something else

On another note Richer sounds told me on two occasions since April that they actually had them in stock and could actually collect on that day.

Not quit on topic - but just moved a modded Rabco SL-8E from a TTS-3000 Sony onto a not quit as old Technics SP-25. To be fair to the Sony - some previous owner had molested it by globbing silicone sealant onto the bottom of the platter (not disclosed before sale or after for that matter) -which really PO'd me -thing shifted speed about every other day and I've got both belt and DD tables that are dead nutz on speed for years on end . The Rabco transplant onto the Technics pro base was not a easy thing to do because my chosen DL-103 cart left me with paper thin margins for fit with the Rabco arm -something that surprised me simply because I'd had a Slindee modified SL-8e arm on the same sP-25 without issues. And sitting on the shelf below this setup is a SL-1200GAE that continues to give excellent service.
Have I got this right : All new model 1200's are multivoltage ?

I finally have an undamaged SL1200G! It arrived last Friday and seems to sound a bit better than the damaged one - I'm wondering if the chassis on the first one was damaged, it certainly took a lot of adjustment on the feet to level it.

Never mind that we require a full and in depth report about the beast.:D

Glad it worked out.:)
It's difficult for me to give a comprehensive review, my last serious turntable (LP12, valhalla, Ittok, AT-OC7) was sold about 13 years ago and I was using a different amplifier and speakers at the time - so I don't have much to compare it with...
It certainly sounds very good to me - after some fettling. I now have a Funk Achromat and I'm using it with an AT-33PTGII cartridge. I had an Ortofon 2M Blue - which I didn't like.
One thing I can report is that it deals with footfall on a sprung floor very well, my listening room has a very springy floor and I can walk up and down the room without any problems while playing a record.

Just got my SL-1200G today. I’m using an Audio Technica VM540ML/H which came pre-fitted in a headshell, so very simple to set up. Sounds really good, wish I’d have got one before. Very happy :)

s1vh2TD.jpg

Just got my SL-1200G today. I’m using an Audio Technica VM540ML/H which came pre-fitted in a headshell, so very simple to set up. Sounds really good, wish I’d have got one before. Very happy :)

s1vh2TD.jpg

Welcome to the 1200G club , I did say they were good , My 1200G is going nowhere , They Look great , The build quality is excellent , The speed stability is excellent , This IS the latest highly refind 1200 series TT and has beed developed for over 50 years, The 1200G was desigend with both new younger engineers and some of the original designers now in their 90's , Once set up leave well alone and enjoy what it was designed for " Quality HIFI listening "

I am pleased you like it :D

@AudioAl

Yes, I’ve no interest in tweeks and fiddling about with it too much. Just wanted solid performance and dependability, and it all looks good so far!

Might see if I need a different mat or weight for it?

Is it really that difficult to get one? I might as well give up any hope of obtaining a 1200G and just be happy with my 1200mk2s. In fact I am really quite satisfied with the 1200mk2...
I would approach my comment but also the 1200G with caution: I now know two people very familiar with the MK2 and the G who believe a well maintained, thoughtfully but not expensively modded MK2 is the better sounding deck. They also consider it better built despite being lighter. I seriously will not bother with any other turntable.

advertisement

Back