advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

Anybody tried the cheaper SL1200GR ?

Not here but that question is extremely valid for me beeing a long time Rega user

Would like the ability to shift choice of cartridges easier
Another presentation vs Rega assumely
Not really keen on the DJ look admittedly

The new 1500c is a dealbreaker due to beeing forced getting build-in phono and a 2M red - both items not wanted
Not sure if tonearm identically to Gr ?

Exploring other forums some say there's little in G vs Gr - something like Gr is 80-90% of G, as I read it

Others don't really notice a difference
At half price honestly there should be

Thinking my budget is not really for G
Then I could get some extra cartridges as times go by

There's a GR + external Timestep psu at a very good price in the dealer classifieds here. If still available a bit of a bargain. I have a GR here and it's very good indeed.

There's a GR + external Timestep psu at a very good price in the dealer classifieds here. If still available a bit of a bargain. I have a GR here and it's very good indeed.

Thanks
Fidling with external psu for a G/Gr is not something I would consider

Not here but that question is extremely valid for me beeing a long time Rega user

Would like the ability to shift choice of cartridges easier
Another presentation vs Rega assumely
Not really keen on the DJ look admittedly

The new 1500c is a dealbreaker due to beeing forced getting build-in phono and a 2M red - both items not wanted
Not sure if tonearm identically to Gr ?

Exploring other forums some say there's little in G vs Gr - something like Gr is 80-90% of G, as I read it

Others don't really notice a difference
At half price honestly there should be

Thinking my budget is not really for G
Then I could get some extra cartridges as times go by
I have a friend who upgraded from an RP1 to a 1200GR. It was a massive leap up and he is very pleased. It sounds great to me and I wonder if the difference between that and my Xerxes can be entirely explained by the difference between whatever cheapisg MM he is running and my sublime Delos. I could live with it no problem.

Tony

Yes I made enquires and was very close to buying it , the Timestep is more effective with older 1200s but then it is free so a very good deal , meanwhile I had my head turned by some speakers and pow the money went :rolleyes:

I have a friend who upgraded from an RP1 to a 1200GR. It was a massive leap up and he is very pleased. It sounds great to me and I wonder if the difference between that and my Xerxes can be entirely explained by the difference between whatever cheapisg MM he is running and my sublime Delos. I could live with it no problem.

Tony

Certainly great to hear

Once heard a Xerxes it was superb as most of Touraj's turntables
Vertere heard them at shows, nothing better I thought - way out of my budget too

Tony

He replaced an RP1, the absolute base model Rega make, with a 1200GR and found it a massive improvement! I should bloody well hope so given the price difference - Rega make a bunch of different decks before you get to the price of a 1200GR! So, essentially, this is the revelation that more expensive turntables sound better than cheaper ones.....

Next tier down, but I went from a lifetime of heavily pimped Regas to a 1210GR 18 months ago and that’s me done. Completely fuss-free, shines with anything I throw at it. No tweaking, fettling or messing about. I’ll only replace it if it dies, and that would be with another one.

My only concern with the new 1200 series would be reliability and servicing, should it ever be needed. An LP12 can always be fixed. If the 1200 dies, who is going to fix it? Certainly nobody here in the USA.

An LP12 can always be fixed. If the 1200 dies, who is going to fix it?

Firstly, the thing is made in Japan!

Secondly, these decks are the number one DJ turntables on the planet and DJs are not renowned for being gently with their stuff. There will be people who fix them, you'd just have to look in a different place perhaps.

Thirdly, built in Japan...

As a indicator of reliability I have a MkI SL120/SME 3009 that must date from about 1976 and it still works perfectly! I really should think about selling it some time as I don’t need it!

I'm more worried about availability than reliability! It's coming up on 6 weeks since I ordered mine and still no sign of it. When I order a new Hi-Fi component I want it straight away!

This may have been covered already. I get it that the build quality of the 1200G is a real step up over earlier 1200 variants but is there a similar uplift in SQ commensurate with the price hike?

advertisement

Back