advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

I wouldn't rate the LP12 as a very good example of a belt drive deck!

I would take a Xerxes or a Logic DM101 over pretty much any other TT at any price.

I’m waiting to take delivery of a 1200G to replace my Xerxes. I’ve also ordered a AT33 PTG to use in it - I currently use one in the Roxsan.

The other deck I considered was a Rega Planar 8 (yes, two more different turntables probably don’t exist), but decided on the Technics for its extra flexibility.

Down grading eh....

I preferred my non-fiddly belt driven Rega Planar 2 to my direct drive Technic 1200 SL when I directly compared them. More musical.

I'm a agnostic. Thats one of several well sorted excuses for having four turntables hooked up at one time (mostly to get the easy best out of four cartridges) . I underwent a three day Linnization service tech/sales course about 30 years ago -got a lot out of it. But my very modified LP-12 dates back to 1979 -it's got a new motor and a Valhalla , a Rega RB-250 and I stopped there. Linn prices have simply gone past my ability to pay decades ago. Looked up and three of the four tables currently being enjoyed are Technics (2 with Technics stock arms) -but no 4 is a SOTA vacuum sapphire and to me that's the bigger issue -can your table/arm/cart combo get along with your at home bass ? I still think some sort of suspended chassis system is better for most modern extended bass stereo systems and the rooms they batter.

In 1978 my brother traded his TD150 for a Trio/Kenwood KD500 (the 'in' deck from the far east that month). It took about 6 months and then he had stopped listening to LP's as all records suddenly sounded crap :-( He still thinks it was the 'better' TT that made the LP's sound worse...

The last time my LP12 saw a service must have been more than 15 years ago. Works flawless and sound stunning, a life long friend.

I would take a Xerxes or a Logic DM101 over pretty much any other TT at any price.

I've not owned a Xerxes but I've had a couple of DM101s. They are great but, christ, setting the bastard things up gives a whole new meaning to the word "faff"!

I'd still have another one*, though, even though I didn't find it as good as a Sony PS-6750, which you can pick up for a similar price.

* - Although not the "firestarter" Electronic version, obviously.

I've not owned a Xerxes but I've had a couple of DM101s. They are great but, christ, setting the bastard things up gives a whole new meaning to the word "faff"!

I'd still have another one*, though, even though I didn't find it as good as a Sony PS-6750, which you can pick up for a similar price.

* - Although not the "firestarter" Electronic version, obviously.

Ah yes the standard electronic one needs repairing about once a year in my experience! I built up a an external electronic power supply in a 19" rack case using a board I got from Doug Hewitt which was intended for another use... it was a Valhalla type design but rather more complicated and gave a big improvement in sound quality plus has been totally reliable since... at least I assume it has as the mate I did it for hasn't been in touch for ages but would be if it needed repairing!

Ah yes the standard electronic one needs repairing about once a year in my experience! I built up a an external electronic power supply in a 19" rack case using a board I got from Doug Hewitt which was intended for another use... it was a Valhalla type design but rather more complicated and gave a big improvement in sound quality plus has been totally reliable since... at least I assume it has as the mate I did it for hasn't been in touch for ages but would be if it needed repairing!
Unless...:eek:

If there’s one criticism I have of the SL1200G is there seems to be no pricing policy adhered to. At this level of exclusivity you don’t want to hear of variances of up to -20%. I applaud any owner who bought at £2300 (I’m green with envy) but Technics should align pricing and £3k has now proven to be opportunistically priced. Really should be retailing at £2500 if dealers can live with dropping £200 below that...

Oh the price of early adoption.......

advertisement

Back