advertisement

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

£2650 seems to be the 'favoured price'. I'm sure 'DougBrady' was just doing a special offer at £2300 as it's back to £2999. I bought my first unit from Hifi Corner and it had only just been released and even then I paid £2500.

I still want another one and I'm sure the few videos on yt of wonky platters must be a 'few' from many good ones. Hell, even my new Sondek had a dodgy sub platter and I've read several reports over the years of dodgy Cirkus bearings.

Some people seem to be getting confused between a warped platter and the strobe markings just slightly uneven!

£2650 seems to be the 'favoured price'. I'm sure 'DougBrady' was just doing a special offer at £2300 as it's back to £2999. I bought my first unit from Hifi Corner and it had only just been released and even then I paid £2500.

When I ordered mine the chap at Brady’s said they’d recently relaunched their website and had added one or two bargain items to attract people to it.

When I ordered mine the chap at Brady’s said they’d recently relaunched their website and had added one or two bargain items to attract people to it.

Need to sell my LP12 first, but I'll keep my Delos as once you own one it's much cheaper to replace it, £700 instead of £1200!

I've been fascinated by this thread. I've a mostly classical collection of some 1800 records and perhaps the presentation of the Technics would suit these?

Now, who'll give me £2,500 for a 301 in a Collinson plinth with serviced Ittok and Goldring rebuilt Karma?

I've been fascinated by this thread. I've a mostly classical collection of some 1800 records and perhaps the presentation of the Technics would suit these?

Now, who'll give me £2,500 for a 301 in a Collinson plinth with serviced Ittok and Goldring rebuilt Karma?

......the sl1200g is pitch perfect and with classical this is a huge boon as there can be lots of sustain.

When I had mine I never noticed pitch wavering with off centre records as much? I don't know if it's to do with the Direct Drive/torque or the fact it's a gimbal arm rather than uni pivot om a suspended sprung turntable but it just didn't bother me. Now I find most of my records that are off centre unplayable.

......the sl1200g is pitch perfect and with classical this is a huge boon as there can be lots of sustain.
What I was thinking. I've lived only with belt and idler (Linn/Lenco/Garrard in that order) and liked them progressively better but I don't know when I last heard a DD, let alone a posh one.

Since my digital has been sorted I don't listen to much classical vinyl and just maybe this could revitalise my collection?

Since my digital has been sorted I don't listen to much classical vinyl and just maybe this could revitalise my collection?

This was mine before I sold it! Note to Mods - No audio!

The first thing you notice when you open it is, 'I know where my £3k went'. The arm is very nice to, a precision to it like a Swiss timepiece. Nothing like the older Techy arms in it's feel and operation.

Digital spoils us doesn't it. Never noticed w&f years ago before CD came along.

Last edited:
I've noticed several people on various forums have replaced their belt drive decks for a Technics SL1200G as they got fed up with the all the 'fiddly' stuff with belt drive decks.

Not all belt drive decks are fiddly. You're really talking about the LP12. A few months ago I did have a 'that's it' moment and decided the Linn had to go. I did consider the Technics, I've heard good things about it, but I'm not a fan of the looks. After finding nothing but high praise for the Rega RP10 I decided to give one of those a try and so far I'm not regretting it. Certainly have no desire to ever buy another LP12.

Apart from the sonic improvements, the Rega is just as simple to use and fuss-free as the SL. Not all belt drive turntables are a pain, only some of them.

I really enjoyed the 10 years of trusty service that I got from my modded sl1210 with Jelco 750, but the Rega P8 I replaced it with is quite a bit better.

I haven’t heard the sl1200g, but based on the above I’d strongly suggest demoing the P8 too before handing over the cash for the Techie.

I love my LP12 and it's never going (except to my son, in my will!). I occasionally purchase other turntables but all they do is prove how wonderful my LP12 is!

I love my LP12 and it's never going...

Used to feel the same way. Used the things for over thirty years. Bottom line, other companies have been pushing the technology a lot harder than Linn so sure, it's a good record player but they've hamstrung it by refusing to alter the architecture. After buying the RP10 the decision to sell the Linn took about ten minutes!

"sounds more like CD than vinyl"

You mean; greater pitch accuracy and lower distortion?

Damned with faint praise...

If it makes it sound more like CD then what's the point of playing vinyl at all?

Sounds like the perfect TT for those that have given up. Same reason I got rid of a P9, it just sounded like mediocre digital to my ears, virtually stopped listening to vinyl whilst I owned that. Although it could have been the arm and cart to be fair, but I just got rid of it rather than faff with it.

Same reason I got rid of a P9, it just sounded like mediocre digital to my ears...

That's an interesting point. I've never heard a P9 but I suspect the RP10 is a development of the same sort of sound. The point being that many turntables add colouration to the sound, but it happens to be colouration we like and which makes the music sound more realistic. The RP10 is very 'clean' sounding, more like CD as you say, and even in the short time I've owned it I can see how it can easily end up sounding to clinical and lacking in emotion.

Out of interest, what was your P9 sitting on? Makes a big difference with the RP10.

A small unit about 600mm high, on a solid floor.

All three of a Thorens TD-125, TD-160 and now an LP12 sound far more engaging and alive than the P9 ever did. Probably my biggest Hi-Fi disappointment to be honest.

I had a similar result with a Technics SL-150/Tecnoarm, so it's either the arm or the two decks share similar life sapping, digital mimicking traits.

A small unit about 600mm high, on a solid floor.

I've tried the RP10 on Phase 12 Mana, Phase 6 Mana and a coffee table. Know what it likes the best. A wall shelf! First turntable I've heard that didn't give its best on a big pile of Mana. Rega sell wall shelves for a reason, they know something.

Does it make it sound like an LP12? No it doesn't. If the Linn sings for you then happy days, all that matters, right?

I thought very long about getting a 1200G but I decided I had to get another Voyd, so I sold my vantaged 1210 and had an opportunity to buy an SME V, just after I bought a used Voyd and couldn't be happier.
I still have another technics SL-QL1.

advertisement

Back