advertisement

Harbeth P3ESR XD - Friday Musings...

I think you either had a serious system mismatch or some weird room issue, since the P3ESR is anything but slow. When driven and setup properly, they are extremely nimble and excel in micro-dynamics. Where they fall down a bit is in scale and bass extension, but you'd expect that from a small inefficient speaker. I'd not quite rate them as fast as an electrostatic speaker - very little is - but for most purposes they are more than capable in keeping up with any musical genre. In fact, they're especially good at speed and pacing IMHO.

They are too warm to be good in micro dynamics or nimble.

Perhaps I have a system mismatch, but I highly doubt it.

Well, we agree to disagree then.

I think you either had a serious system mismatch or some weird room issue, since the P3ESR is anything but slow. When driven and setup properly, they are extremely nimble and excel in micro-dynamics. Where they fall down a bit is in scale and bass extension, but you'd expect that from a small inefficient speaker. I'd not quite rate them as fast as an electrostatic speaker - very little is - but for most purposes they are more than capable in keeping up with any musical genre. In fact, they're especially good at speed and pacing IMHO.
^This.

Well, for interested buyers reading this, you see the opinion is very contrasting on the issue of speed and dynamics. JTC also mention about potential mismatch that can result in very slow sounding speakers

So if you are interested in fast music, you may want to personally listen to the speakers before buying.

Then again, p3esr is phased out, so if you are getting the xd, then no problem of it being slow sounding.

After 7 years of owning P3ESR, trying to like them, and to wake them up with 4 different amps and changes in my main source, I'm totally with @yunie_ and @Tarzan on this one.
Except I don't find them so exceptional with the things they supposedly excel on either.

I had Spendor S3/5 before and they sure did 'rock', ' boogie' and generally let their hair down.

I now have Spendor 4/5 coming my way!

The people bit I get but not the speakers. Life’s too short for speakers you don’t like. I admire your perseverance.

I tend to agree.
But, the alternatives would also be some sort of bad compromise. Or would not be appropriate for our domestic environment.
I guess Neat and Kudos would not work, because they would require more space behind them.
I would lose too much with Linn Katan (not to mention Kan), Majik 109, Naim N-Sat - or I would just hate them for different reasons... Same goes for ATC.

And the same applies to floorstanders that could fit in our room and could go close to rear wall (again some old Linn or Naim Credo). Apart from logistic problems (I'm not in UK).

So in the past 7 years, there were only two real contenders, ProAc Tablette 10 Signature, and Spendor Classic 4/5.
Both quite pricey (I don't usually buy speakers in this price range).

Now finally opportunity arose to get Spendor 4/5 for fairly reasonable amount.

As for P3ESR, I may as well keep them - insert facepalm emoji ;)

@JTC I'm curious. You mentioned that it sounds about right. So I assume you have both the p3esr and the XD version?
No, I didn't have the XD (I thought I did but had the model wrong). I only had a single pair of Rosewood P3ESR SEs which replaced large Tannoys. They were in turn replaced by active speakers but not due to anything I didn't like about the P3s, more to do with feeling a bit uncomfortable with so much tied up in a large amp (the move to actives liberated a fair chunk of cash back from the hifi).

I tend to agree.
But, the alternatives would also be some sort of bad compromise. Or would not be appropriate for our domestic environment.
I guess Neat and Kudos would not work, because they would require more space behind them.
I would lose too much with Linn Katan (not to mention Kan), Majik 109, Naim N-Sat - or I would just hate them for different reasons... Same goes for ATC.

And the same applies to floorstanders that could fit in our room and could go close to rear wall (again some old Linn or Naim Credo). Apart from logistic problems (I'm not in UK).

So in the past 7 years, there were only two real contenders, ProAc Tablette 10 Signature, and Spendor Classic 4/5.
Both quite pricey (I don't usually buy speakers in this price range).

Now finally opportunity arose to get Spendor 4/5 for fairly reasonable amount.

As for P3ESR, I may as well keep them - insert facepalm emoji ;)
There's a whole world of other speakers out there.

No, I didn't have the XD (I thought I did but had the model wrong). I only had a single pair of Rosewood P3ESR SEs which replaced large Tannoys. They were in turn replaced by active speakers but not due to anything I didn't like about the P3s, more to do with feeling a bit uncomfortable with so much tied up in a large amp (the move to actives liberated a fair chunk of cash back from the hifi).

Saw that you are talking about genelec 8030. Do you own that? I owned that previously and you will immediately find how slow the p3esr are once you compare the 2.

Genelec is the direct opposite of p3esr.
Fast, dynamic but relatively soulless and bright

Saw that you are talking about genelec 8030. Do you own that? I owned that previously and you will immediately find how slow the p3esr are once you compare the 2.

Genelec is the direct opposite of p3esr.
Fast, dynamic but relatively soulless and bright
Disagree with that assessment also. It’s perhaps a fraction faster and definitely has more ‘air’ than the Harbeth, but is very honest and if the system behind it is soulless then you’ll know it. But sounds beautifully organic, balanced and insightful in my own system.

hah! that's why hifi is so subjective. I'm glad you find the 8030 organic and the harbeth fast and dynamic.

in such cases, it is likely that my system just sucks, and perhaps so, since I use a digital source.

all the best!

You kept a pair of speakers for 7 years you didn’t like?

Now this: so, I got Spendor Classic 4/5... and now I actually appreciate P3ESR more :confused:

They are still slow and somehow boring. But lately I did wake them up significantly with LP12 Karousel upgrade.

There are aspects of P3ESR that I definitely prefer over Spendors, just as there are aspects of 4/5 that are definitely much better than P3ESR. - With appropriate material Spendors can boogie better.

Haven't decided yet, which I will use. Maybe I will make up my mind in 7 years time.

Now this: so, I got Spendor Classic 4/5... and now I actually appreciate P3ESR more :confused:

They are still slow and somehow boring. But lately I did wake them up significantly with LP12 Karousel upgrade.

There are aspects of P3ESR that I definitely prefer over Spendors, just as there are aspects of 4/5 that are definitely much better than P3ESR. - With appropriate material Spendors can boogie better.

Haven't decided yet, which I will use. Maybe I will make up my mind in 7 years time.
Or you could just buy some totally different speakers.

advertisement

Back