advertisement

Harbeth P3ESR alternative?

Mini DSP processor would be cheaper and better.
Keith
No idea, I've only used the Antimode DSpeaker. I suspect the Mini DSP processor does exactly the same thing but without the additional functionality and a whole lot more faffing about?

Last edited:
Is it easy to use Keith? I’m intrigued by them, but seem a lot of faff, are they?

They're relatively easy to use but not however fool proof. Indeed, results can vary depending on measurement technique etc. The DDRC-24 with DIRAC (a Mini-dsp with DIRAC) can provide a useful solution, but still with some level of tinkering involved - you cross the sub and mains in the Mini-DSP software, then implement DIRAC via its software and several mic FR recordings of room response.

To my mind, and knowing about several digital room corrections software options, it's yet to be truly user friendly/ satisfaction guaranteed. Though I think that time isn't aways off...

It was the best relatively low cost investments in hi-fi I've made in recent years. Don't be put off by the instructions: they are very detailed and quite daunting at first glance, but the set up process is mostly automatic once you set it going.
Subsidiary questions Mike.. do you have to set the level, xo frequency and phase yourself- as you would normally?

Ayya....how do the upper frequencies compare, P3 vs SEAS A26?
i dont think I compared both in the same room (A26 vs P3).
They have good treble, the P3 and A26 both use a quality Seas tweeter. the A26 tweeter is a 1.5” soft dome and the P3 use a 0.75” metal dome.
the advantage of the A26 is that you can lower the tweeter level to match your room but i never found the P3 treble to be fatiguing either.

If and when I add a sub I would look to buy an Antimode, wish I had on my previous failed attempts to get a sub to work.
I just about get the level control but xo frequency and phase- I understand in theory but am not confident about optimising in reality.

I just about get the level control but xo frequency and phase- I understand in theory but am not confident about optimising in reality.

By twiddling the knobs alone I could never get the sub to sound right. Read a lot and fiddled a lot but never to my satisfaction. Being technically incompetent never helps.

Subsidiary questions Mike.. do you have to set the level, xo frequency and phase yourself- as you would normally?
Dec, before calibration you should deactivate the sub's low pass filter, set phase shift to 0 degrees, and volume at around 50 per cent, then reset after calibration in the normal way. (This is explained in Section 2.1 'Before Calibration' on page 5 of the 8033 user manual (v 1.9). Section numbering etc. may be different if you have a later version of the manual.)

Once you've calibrated the 8033 and hopefuly eliminated the worst impact of room modes and peaks you will more than likely find that you need to run the sub at a slightly higher volume level than before, and with little or no phase shift. This is explained in Section 2.3. 'After Calibration' of the 8033 user manual. To reset the sub after calibration and integrate with the main speakers I just follow the guidance notes on page 5 of the XLS200 user manual.

I hope this makes sense!

I have these beautiful speakers. The things I like the most about them are that they are so addictive to listen, good on low volume levels and non fatiguing at all.

And everything seems to be perfect but they are too soft, polite on highs. I mean trumpet or acoustic guitar should have this raw, maybe sometimes sharp sound because that's like the real, live music sounds . With the harbeth everything is so predictable. Maybe that's why they are so easy to listen to but I think that it also somehow makes the music sound similar. This is my main concern.

As you guys who knows them already know they are especially good on jazz, acoustic, vocal but sometimes seems to lack dynamic and bass on some more modern genres. It's good to play from time to time some classic rock or pop but with these genres harbeths are not the best.

Do you have some options/alternative speakers that keep good points from harbeths and add the things I'm missing with them?

Thanks,
Marcin

I owned P3ESRs for a short while and can totally understand your observations

The best small speaker I have heard that can do all genres equally well are the Audio Note AX2- providing you can position them with some room boundary reinforcement (not necessarily hard against a wall). I’ve had 3 pairs of these and I have no intention of moving the current set on as they are no longer in production.

They have great flow and dynamics with great tonal qualities.

The AX2s are a great speaker but being small and easy to drive they do lack bass. I would love to have ago with another pair.

While obviously not in the BBC tradition, I would put Reference 3A speakers in the mix, such as the Dulcet or De Capo. Very easy to drive, simple crossover, almost as close to none, really. But I suspect many will be put off by the Be tweeter material, which is a shame. It really is quite a good performer.

I think it is a useful comparison. My early model Dulcets, enjoyed for many years, now with my son, who finds them very satisfactory. I've had the Harbeth P3ES-2s for more than a decade, serving as a reference as other, larger speakers come and go through my den.
The Dulcets have a tremendously immediate, rich and alive sound, exceptional imaging even for a good small monitor. And yes, (cliche alert) 'astonishing bass for their size'. In my experience, at their best with tubes, I didn't find them great with Naim, but that was many models ago.... Haven't heard the recent versions with the Be tweeter. The earlier model could get a little bright if pushed too high and hard.

The little Harbs a little less potent or rich in some ways, but the clear diction of the spoken word, clarity of vocals in song excels. Which also makes them great for Netflix, Masterpiece Theatre, etc. A very even balance across the frequency range. Quite different approaches, both successful.

I owned P3ESRs for a short while and can totally understand your observations

The best small speaker I have heard that can do all genres equally well are the Audio Note AX2- providing you can position them with some room boundary reinforcement (not necessarily hard against a wall). I’ve had 3 pairs of these and I have no intention of moving the current set on as they are no longer in production.

They have great flow and dynamics with great tonal qualities.
I've been eyeing the AX-2's for a while as they have everything I need for my small room and are easy to drive but... can they rock? I don't necessarily mean wall shaking, chest slamming, gut punching bass that you feel with your body (of course you can't expect that) but do they have at least some welly in the bass? I hate rock music that sounds thin and anemic.

I've also heard they are a bit on the bright side. Is that true?

I've been eyeing the AX-2's for a while as they have everything I need for my small room and are easy to drive but... can they rock? I don't necessarily mean wall shaking, chest slamming, gut punching bass that you feel with your body (of course you can't expect that) but do they have at least some welly in the bass? I hate rock music that sounds thin and anemic.

If you can put them close to the front wall (or maybe try corners) then the bass is reasonable for the type of speaker. Though reasonable bass is all relative to the individual!

you should try amphion 3s , they are not bright and they rock with the right amp . The argon 1 are nearer in size to the p3esr and are worth a try.

Certainly the ax2 seem to sell fast sh, a pair on HiFi for sale flew out the door in hours recently

advertisement

Back