advertisement

Harbeth P3ESR alternative?

While obviously not in the BBC tradition, I would put Reference 3A speakers in the mix, such as the Dulcet or De Capo. Very easy to drive, simple crossover, almost as close to none, really. But I suspect many will be put off by the Be tweeter material, which is a shame. It really is quite a good performer.

why would they be put off by Be tweeters ? Focal been using them for years and no problems unless you crush them up and inhale it ? or were you thinking of the sonic effects of be tweeters ?

More from the sonic aspect, I see quite a few comments about how "Bright" they must be. Like most things, it all about ones own ears and how they perceive them to be, much like those darned bright sounding silver cables....I probably shouldn't have even suggested the Ref. 3A's anyway, probably a bit off the pace of the OP anyway.

Some high end beryllium tweeters are about as good as it gets or not far off. There’s nothing bright about them, or any other tweeter that’s a bad rep, like brightness because it’s a metal dome. Be makes a good tweeter material because it’s very light and stiff, the ringing tends to decay more quickly than ali or titanium too (not compared myself, just off what I’ve seen)

Either they’re well made tweeters or they’re not, the be’s I use aren’t bright because the sensitivity is toned down in the xo. Like most need to be, soft or be. I find mostly when they’re set bright it’s intentional, to make it sound like there’s more detail and accentuate the highs. Some people like that, I find it a bit tiring after not too long

But that’s nothing to do with Harbeths so...

Anyone directly compared AN-Ks to P3s? I've only heard them in a decent-sized riom (ie not where I'd put the P3s), but not sure how they'd do in a smaller one. Lovely natural tone/timbre and also sealed boxes, but definitely more scope for depth, scale, and impact than the P3s.

Yes, l have had home demos of both......

To the OP, the baby Harbeths may need an amplifier upgrade... when l home demoed the P3ESR, one could easily tell differences in amplifiers and sources.

Just a thought.

I also think it’s worth experimenting with amps. I went through almost a dozen in my Harbeth journey.

However, I ended up moving my Harbeths on when I took a chance on some Mk 1 Snell Ks. Not quite as sweet as the P3 but still very natural and far more capable with a wide range of music. You should be able to find a pair pretty cheaply.

I think it would also be worth your while trying to hear some Tannoy Eaton.

Last edited:
Or perhaps Kef Ref 103.2. I compared mine against Chartwell ls3/5a and Tannoy Eaton and decided that the overall winner for consistently fab performance was the Kefs. And I only paid £140 for them.

So many options and it will always come down to personal taste +/- rooms and partnering equipment.

Or perhaps Kef Ref 103.2. I compared mine against Chartwell ls3/5a and Tannoy Eaton and decided that the overall winner for consistently fab performance was the Kefs. And I only paid £140 for them.

So many options and it will always come down to personal taste +/- rooms and partnering equipment.

That’s interesting. I had the 103.2 for quite a while and was very impressed, but somehow they just never could get my feet tapping like the Snell K could. Horses for courses, as you say...

It’s interesting that Pro-Ac speakers are often put forward as an alternative to Harbeths.
From what I have read, their strengths appeal to many PFM members.

advertisement

Back