advertisement

Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Keith, the dealer concerned was not prepared to provide the comparison of the 3 speakers in their own dealership despite being an agent for all 3 which I still find it quite difficult to understand. As I have said the party knows who they are and I do not intend to say who it is but move on.

Bake-up time pf members??

If I say it enough times you guys might just say I have a pair of those speakers and it would be cool to take them along to see how they compare with the others?

Keith, the dealer concerned was not prepared to provide the comparison of the 3 speakers in their own dealership despite being an agent for all 3 which I still find it quite difficult to understand. As I have said the party knows who they are and I do not intend to say who it is but move on.

Quick, how many dealers are there who have both ATC and Harbeth agencies?

Perhaps it's the manufacturers who tie his hands. Some manufcturers don't like to see their product compared to certain other product, particularly if the results of the comparison end up all over the internet. In the absence of relevant information, that's pure speculation, of course, and I haven't heard of either ATC or Harbeth applying such tactics.

Or it may simply be a case of the manufacturer not being willing to provide a demo sample of one particular model to this dealer, who doesn't have a demo speaker of his own, because there's another dealer in the general vicinity who has invested in a demo sample of the speaker you're interested in and would quite rightly expect the manufacturer not to help other dealers take business away from him.

Greg - Please, Please buy a pair, any pair even. Put yourself out of this endless cycle of 'what, ifs, and buts' even home dems are not conclusive unless you can borrow them for 2-4 weeks. Have you bought any of the system you've been discussing since spring?

Markus, none of the caveats you have speculated upon were mentioned the response was curt and no more than a few words.

Raj, we have established that I don't collect stamps and I have a hifi to listen to music on at the moment.

There is no endless cycle!

Just a straight line to what I want.

I remember you saying to me that you had spent a 6 figure sum over the years on hifi that's not part of the fun for me.

Theres plenty of deals to be had, at most you'll loose say £400-500. But at least then you'd have had them and disregarded them if not correct. But a lot is about the system as a whole and hardly ever about a single item within it. All the speakers and kit you mention will produce music at 97% the 3% remaining is just preference.

Raj, you will remember that you said exactly the opposite to me of your speakers and I would not disagree with you after hearing your speakers.

Greg - Please, Please buy a pair, any pair even. Put yourself out of this endless cycle of 'what, ifs, and buts' even home dems are not conclusive unless you can borrow them for 2-4 weeks. Have you bought any of the system you've been discussing since spring?

That your speakers are so unique in the active sound they present that they have few, if any, peers and I can see your point.

Coming back to the stamps argument.

I feel like I'm in a remake of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers and I won't be a part of what is normal until I just ...buy.

My point is: 50, 100, and 40.1 will reproduce music to extremely high standards, just pick you flava neither will be wrong. The rest of the system will/could change the sound more so than the differences between the speakers.

That your speakers are so unique in the active sound they present that they have few, if any, peers and I can see your point.

Coming back to the stamps argument.

I feel like I'm in a remake of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers and I won't be a part of what is normal until I just ...buy.

A top active system against a top passive system isn't miles appart. Its just a matter of preference. wheres i have found to prefer active.

Raj, with respect I totally disagree.

I accept that there will be those who can't handle the accuracy of an active system but there is, absolutely, no comparison in my experience, whatsoever, to such extent that those IMHO who prefer active speakers prefer a different listening experience.

I remember you saying to me that you felt that the 40.1s were in your exact words "pipe & slippers" speakers which is why you are happy with the speakers you have and wouldn't have been with the Harbeths so why diss me for wanting to check the same comparison?

This straight line has, after all, narrowed it down to just 3.

its not dissing, your miss understanding/personalizing this. What I say is 'my opinion alone' about Harbeths, you cannot/shouldn't buy or dis a product on my or anyone elses views.
It's all fun at this level. Don't make it difficult for yourself.

I'm not mate and it's always fun talking to you and the other guys.

We've ascertained in the last few pages of this thread that people like yourself, Greg at al have the experience and knowledge to astutely buy and sell s/h without losing a lot if anything and that a part of the fun is doing just that.

I don't have the experience and knowledge of you guys and just want to buy once and then forget about it.

There is also one last point I would like to make which you more than anyone else will understand has delayed my decision as it concerns you no less!

ATC have already developed their own tweeter for their active speakers and the only reason why there is some little delay is to make it retrofitable for guys like you sweating with recently purchased new actives that don't have it.

I am lead to believe it is already been sold in the very big commercial speakers and it will be on the market in the UK after 6-7 years of waiting, very shortly.

Maybe our dealer can elaborate?

...I have enjoyed attending a few bake-offs in recent times through the forums but it is the speakers I seem to remember - e.g. Beobloke's Ferrographs at Scalford last year, I think they're called that, and, in particular, a pair of egg shaped speakers made of marble from Thailand that left everyone spellbound at the recent meet at Waltham Abbey.

Greg

If you could find a pair, would you buy the Thai Eggs?

I think there'd be something quite magical about listening to speakers that can have spellbinding effect. Better than speakers that have an eggbinding effect anyway.

The Thai Eggs as you know Lindsay are made of very heavy solid marble and my understanding is we're bought in the best traditions of a wing and prayer hifi purchase for £2K mail order!

The guy who bought them said that no more are available.

A lot of speakers I have listened to sounded like egg-boxes compared with them!

I take it you were not impressed?

Sadly I didn't get to hear the Thai Eggs, but they sound like my type of speakers. Speakers with a bit of magic about them.

If a pair became available 2nd hand, would you buy them?

I was just wondering if there was any reason for them not being on your shortlist - apart from the difficulty in finding a pair?

BTW, here's the Stereophile frequency response curve for the Harbeth 40.1's.
1008harH40fig3.jpg

With an 85db/w/m efficiency, looks they'd best suit a bright solid state amp - or even better bi or tri amplification. And as Harbeth say "LF optimised for use away from hard, reflective surfaces." So they'd ideally need quite a bit of space.

A top active system against a top passive system isn't miles appart. Its just a matter of preference. wheres i have found to prefer active.

In my view there are too many variables for that to be even a workable generalization.

Lindsay, if I didn't know you so well I might think you were taking the proverbial?

I would say though that if I was hosting Abigail's Party those eggs on tubular metal frames would have pride of place but as I'm trying reduce my list in order to avoid the pfm brickbats, maybe not, but I am sure you did not note that I clearly enquired!

advertisement

Back