advertisement

Harbeth Monitor 40.1

It's certainly a myth that ATC actives are tiring to listen to. The danger is that you can get suckered by them into listening too loud, and this only becomes apparent to you if you have to leave the room...

i totally agree - wonderful active speakers.

The segment of Parsifal that has just come up on the random play is about 40dB.

Which isn't a fair answer to a question that cannot be answered in the specific.

Really we should be getting AS to justify his assertion that a speaker apparently explicitly compromised for use in a TV vision control room is suitable for general sound monitoring or domestic music reproduction. His claims seem odd to me.

(The Duke Ellington that is on now is somewhere between 15 and 20dB.)

Paul

It would be really quite interesting if hifi dave were to organise/host an ATC/Harbeth shoot out. Monitor 40.1 against SCM50ASL or 100ASL. I don't think there'd be a loser, but it would be educational.

Paul

Paul, I would love such to occur as I would definitely attend as these are the 3 speakers I have narrowed my decision down to.

I want ATC but I want to hear the 40.1 to see the strengths and perceived weaknesses of each in direct comparison.

So what about it Dave so I can sort out my Crimbo present...to me?

i would say that with the 25 watt Sugden that i use, the SHL5s are more happy at what i would call a `moderate' level..i would put this at what sounds realistic with unamplified music. i would also say that they like to be a little bit louder to come alive than my old Audionotes.

My 33 watt Orton has absolutely no problems with driving SHL5 at any tolerable level. And even at low volume the combo sounds really well..

The segment of Parsifal that has just come up on the random play is about 40dB.
I guess that's mean to peak? M40s will go beyond 105db@1m IIRC, but you'd have to be prepared to eq the LF.

Really we should be getting AS to justify his assertion that a speaker apparently explicitly compromised for use in a TV vision control room is suitable for general sound monitoring or domestic music reproduction. His claims seem odd to me.
I believe there are fairly specific EU regulations regarding noise levels in the workplace.
ATCs are built to be played loud, Harbeths are made to be played at lowish levels for extended periods. Both are designed to suit their respective requirements, and this can be seen in the frequency response.
Listening levels at home are probably slightly closer to broadcast than to mastering/impressing clients.
For those who really need "dynamics" I suggest the Meyer Sound X-10
http://www.meyersound.com/products/studioseries/x-10/
Frequency response ±2dB 23Hz-17kHz
Peak spl 136 dB
Speakers don't get much more dynamic than that.

ATCs are built to be played loud

I don't think that's true. There is legislation about workplace SPLs, and these are professional monitors. I think they are designed to be "bulletproof" in terms of level, and have "headroom" for dynamic peaks.

Both are designed to suit their respective requirements, and this can be seen in the frequency response.
I don't think it follows.

I'm sure that M40.1s would be more than 'loud' enough for me. But they're more complicated than ATCs. And more expensive. I'd be really interested to hear them though. Over to Dave? I'll supply the ATCs if necessary...

FWIW all my 'TV' sound is played through them, for which they work really well at very modest levels. YMMV.

Paul

Paul,

A excellent idea! Over to you Dave?

As a relative newbie on the hifi forums I have always been fascinated by the adverts in classified where sellers are selling very very expensive components and after telling you how wonderful they are then tell you they are....6 months old?!!

I have reached the conclusion, and I stand to be corrected, that customers buy gear often without hearing it.

I have reached the conclusion, and I stand to be corrected, that customers buy gear often without hearing it.

I buy every piece of hifi and speakers without ever listening first, apart from one occassion. It's a lotery, sometimes you hit the jackpot, sometimes you buy an expensive turd.

I assume you guys are either joking or, unlike poor me, you operate in a financial stratosphere I can only dream of.

I assume you guys are either joking or, unlike poor me, you operate in a financial stratosphere I can only dream of.

Not joking at all, as greg says it's part of the fun. It has cost me quite dearly at times but as 95% of the hifi I buy is second hand you can always sell it on, or like me form a collection of speakers in the loft.

Tiger, I am sure that you are more astute in your purchasing than you let on.

What amazes me, as I said before, is the amount of expensive new gear I see on forum classifieds 5 minutes after it has been bought.

and I appreciate that some people are just passing on gear they got a deal on rather than ever intended to own...

Tiger, I am sure that you are more astute in your purchasing than you let on.

What amazes me, as I said before, is the amount of expensive new gear I see on forum classifieds 5 minutes after it has been bought.

What I always find funny is that someone is selling some brand new very expensive speakers because his wife doesn't like them in the lounge, er did they not think to ask the missus before hand before splashing out 5 grand, f'in stupid.

Blue Eyes, I have a weakness for speakers which is more often than not based on looks, this drives my purchases far above anything esle. I'm really not astute as I buy stuff that no one else wants to buy and so the collection in the loft grows ever bigger.

Tiger, my kingdom for a ATC 50,100 active & Harbeth 40.1 bake-off, as mentioned by Paul, so I can just buy one...once and for all.

advertisement

Back