advertisement

hackernap advice thread

Thanks Alan,

Those WIMAs look huge and I don't think they'll fit on the board. Would it be OK to use flying leads on these?

Andy

I always end up ordering the wrong stand off's to mount the boards and always have to bodge it :(

What are others using, especially the lengths I need to stack the cap boards as per Sam's previous builds.

Ta

Stefan

I ended up using a number of different sized standoffs to get the fit tight but not touching... I know Dad used threaded rod and cut some tubing to length to makes his work.. Far more elegant IMO.

Sam

Threaded rod and nuts work well, no need for spacers, makes servicing a little slower but its cheap and flexable.

Pete

I think I'm happy with the threaded rod solution for the CAP boards. But has anyone got a link to the standard sized spacers, it's this bit i always seem to get wrong.

Ta

Stefan

Sam did you try the polyprops instead of the electrolytics as Carl suggested? I'm just putting my component list together and that is my intention, it would be good to know someone else had done it though.

Stefan

I have every intention to, but life has got in the way atm.. I will get to it but it wont be for a few weeks now. :(

Sam

I was going to - got the polyprops as per Carl's suggestion but thought I'd stick with the original caps as per BOM until someone else has tried them...

By some miracle, I've just got one side of my stereo HackerCAP to work. Only through an old computer speaker, using an iPod, but I'm well chuffed! I'll wire up the other side tomorrow, then perhaps try with the couple of KEF Mini-monitors I've got tucked away in the loft.

HELP!

I've just wired up the other HackerNAP in my stereo version. Powered up & it's blowing the fuse. The front end & its power supply are OK & I can power up the power supply for the output stage OK, but can't connect up without it blowing the fuse. Incidentally, what's the correct size to use please?

I've pulled out the board & had a look but nothing seems untoward - all the solder joints seem OK, no obvious shorts anywhere, all diodes round the right way. I'm now lost as to how to check it further so all help would be appreciated!

What fuse do you have in there at the moment Tony? Could it be inrush current blowing it? Is there a single fuse supplying both channels? My ncc used to blow 5A fuses on switch on.

Hi James, it's a 3.5 amp slow-blow but then that's fine with the one channel; I tried disconnecting this good channel completely & the fuse still blew immediately as soon as I connected up the suspect side.

If I connect up the OK side, plus the front end supply still connected to the HackerCAP, plus the output stage power supply, all's well. It's only when I connected up this to the HC that the fuse blew.

advertisement

Back