advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

No idea, not really a brand on my radar, though they do seem to make some stunning semis.

PS FWIW I’m gradually coming to the conclusion that the guitar I really want doesn’t exist! I think it is something like a very lightweight Les Paul/SG Jr with a simple wrap around bridge (i.e. like a lighter version of my Gordon Smith), but with just one P90 in the middle, i.e. where no one puts a pickup. I just think that is where it should be and that Leo Fender got it *exactly* right with the precision bass, i.e. exactly mid-point between the 20th fret and the bridge. If I was designing a guitar that is where I’d put it. I’m vaguely tempted to see if Crimson would do me a custom kit just to see if I’m right. I certainly feel the Les Paul has two pickups in the wrong place, one being too bright, one too fat (possibly true for a Tele too, but I’ve not spent enough time with one to know what I sound like playing one), and whilst I do like having three on a Strat I hardly ever use the bridge one on its own. I suspect just one in exactly the right place for me is what I need! I notice some jazz hollows do actually do this.

Crimson does a blank body just with a pre-cut neck pocket I think.

Crimson does a blank body just with a pre-cut neck pocket I think.

Ben gives the impression on his weekly live talks that they’ll actually do pretty much anything you want, i.e. I suspect I could actually specify a guitar that just needed gluing together and finishing. I need to think about it for another year or so, but I’d certainly not want to do any actual woodworking beyond sanding, so I’d need it routed and for the type of wrap around bridge I want I’d even need the threaded bushings stamped in at the right place! Either that or just bite the bullet and pay them to do me a proper custom job. I suspect that wouldn’t be too much as I’d want a very simple non-fancy guitar, almost utilitarian in a natural wood finish (e.g. I quite fancy no dot markers at all, probably no strap buttons as I don’t use a strap!). Light, one pickup, wrap bridge, volume, tone, good balance sitting down. The most basic guitar imaginable.

Ben gives the impression on his weekly live talks that they’ll actually do pretty much anything you want, i.e. I suspect I could actually specify a guitar that just needed gluing together and finishing. I need to think about it for another year or so, but I’d certainly not want to do any actual woodworking beyond sanding, so I’d need it routed and for the type of wrap around bridge I want I’d even need the threaded bushings stamped in at the right place! Either that or just bite the bullet and pay them to do me a proper custom job. I suspect that wouldn’t be too much as I’d want a very simple non-fancy guitar, almost utilitarian in a natural wood finish (e.g. I quite fancy no dot markers at all, probably no strap buttons as I don’t use a strap!). Light, one pickup, wrap bridge, volume, tone, good balance sitting down. The most basic guitar imaginable.

I'm not sure just how much is left of Crimson after the past year. They still seem to be knocking out a few kits though

I'm not sure just how much is left of Crimson after the past year. They still seem to be knocking out a few kits though

I get the impression they’ve lost a lot of revenue due to the school effectively being mothballed, plus there have been some personal changes (e.g. IIRC the main trainer/luthier Chris left), but Ben certainly gives the impression everything is there, functioning and ready to bounce back. I assume he’d have been able to claim full furlough etc as the business is certainly old enough, though obviously no idea how leveraged he is. He also has his VintageToolShop.com business, though I think that’s more like my record business, i.e. primarily a way of buying stuff for himself!

I get the impression they’ve lost a lot of revenue due to the school effectively being mothballed, plus there have been some personal changes (e.g. IIRC the main trainer/luthier Chris left), but Ben certainly gives the impression everything is there, functioning and ready to bounce back. I assume he’d have been able to claim full furlough etc as the business is certainly old enough, though obviously no idea how leveraged he is. He also has his VintageToolShop.com business, though I think that’s more like my record business, i.e. primarily a way of buying stuff for himself!

Interesting business, both tools and guitars. I notice from the guitar website the variety of building courses. Many of my pro woodworking friends make more money from teaching woodworking than selling fine cabinet work, I wonder if the fine luthier business is similar?

SMG_Rickenbacker_425a.jpg

3301-scaled.jpg

gibson-es225t-1956-cons-full-front.jpg

It’s Great Guitar Build-Off time again. I like the idea of this one carved from a single solid block of wood. Initially I thought it wouldn’t be too stable long-term as I’d expect the neck to twist, but he sunk carbon strengthening rods in so should be fine. I’ve always loved thru-neck guitars and this kind of takes that concept to it’s minimalist extreme.

I've bought a Boss GEB7 equalizer, which works well, but I can't find a PS for it - I bought one that said "all Boss pedals", but it doesn't fit; Andertons sell the official version, but that costs £25 plus £5 p&p - can anyone point me at a sensibly priced PS??

I’d just buy the Boss one, in fact I did. It’s good quality, doesn’t hum, and can power four or so pedals without any bother if you get a multi-head adapter (couple of quid from eBay). Not worth risking expensive pedals with cheap no-name adapters IMO.

Another fascinating GGBO 2021 entry, really interesting to see all the steps in using carbon fibre. Nasty toxic environmentally damaging stuff, but some real art here too. There is a second part, but no conclusion as yet so no idea what the final instrument will be like.

If you watch the latest TPS Q&A, Dan has a new guitar a Tele Deluxe made by a custom builder and he has my pickups! Specifically Wide Range humbuckers made by Jamie at The Creamery. Looking forward to the promised VLOG on the new guitar now.

I really don't like that John Mayer song and it's freaking everywhere on my YouTube.

I still don’t even know who he is! I’ve heard the name mentioned many times, I’m sure it will turn up in my feed soon enough. I’m guessing it’s overly technical white blues rock?

PS Josh’s ‘horrible solid state amps’ thing last week was great! He is such an underrated player IMO. Each week there are at least three riffs that could be developed into really good songs on the JHS show. Great band too.

He's more of a pop rock thing with blues and soul influences and his modern crossover pop success kind of alienated him from his original Guitar Bro audience. He can play guitar though, and he does write big commercial hits though which sets him apart from, say, Joe Bonamassa. This is perhaps the definitive Mayer track and whilst I admire his playing it is a bit Centrist Dad:

But this new song is specifically an 80s pop homage with late period Clapton-esque guitar noodling over the top. Given I spent most of the 80s listening to post punk and indie to avoid exactly that sort of music, I am perhaps not best judge:

Rhett and Zach (Broyles of Mythos pedals) discussed it on this weeks Dipped in Tone (you might not need another guitar podcast, although I like it as it's mostly just two friends hanging out and chewing the fat so it's very restful).

Pleased for Mary Spender though who got a lot of coverage and social media boost out of her "cover" based on guessing what the song would be from the 10 sec previews on Instagram.

Hmmm, not my thing for sure. Sounds very ‘80s AOR/mainstream as you say.

I’ve never got to the end of a Dipped In Tone yet, in fact much as I like him I’m tiring of Rhett Shull (or Rhett Shill and he’s always plugging something!). I’m still sticking with JHS and TPS, even though the latter actually turns me off pedals (which is probably a good thing!).

I think I’ve actually got a very minimal mindset to guitar, both from a playing and gear perspective. I like nice stuff, but I don’t need much of it! 90% of the time my ‘rig’ is just the Reeves fuzz controlled with the guitar volume knob/touch (kind of clean with slight crunch through to White Stripes available there). I love having an analogue chorus and delay available too, I really enjoy both, but I just plug them in when I’m in that mood, so they aren’t on the floor all the time. I’m actually making the most progress at present with the £50 Yam classical, that is getting my right hand doing new things (nothing formal or clever, just getting a basic thumb and three fingers picking type thing going), which I can then transfer to the electric with a bit more practice.

advertisement

Back