1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Seeker_UK, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

The guitar on that album cover is a Kawai S-170
    [​IMG]

But he also had a Kawai Kingston SD-40
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m not too bad at this as I very regularly noodle about whilst watching the TV, especially on the classical acoustic. I certainly don’t need to look at the ‘cowboy end’ of the fretboard unless I’ve just learned a new chord or whatever though I often come unstuck making a four or more fret jump to a barre chord. I don’t really do ‘lead’ or single-note at all which no doubt makes it easier. Part of my issue there is I used to primarily play bass, so I used to be dialled in for that scale length. My basslines were always pretty simple/minimal but I needed to be able to play blind or close to it as we often played dingy clubs with flashing lights etc, and inevitably the lights would all go out just as the change that was easiest to screw up arrived. I pretty much got it down to muscle memory, though bizarrely can’t remember how to play much of it now! I approach everything differently now as I’m not trying to learn anything, not trying to play anything ‘known’, just noodling around randomly to get lost in it. I do like randomly grabbing shapes just to see where they lead. I actually like making ‘mistakes’, finding the discordant as it can be interesting.

Close, but not quite! Check out the top of the guitar body on my Discogs link. It has a series of organ-style rocker-switches, as every guitar should. It’s definitely a Teisco/Kawai (same company) of some kind though.

3. Seeker_UK

My bad. It's the S180 - the 4 pick-up version.

[​IMG]

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Three pickups are never enough!

5. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

What's the appendage sticking out of the tailpiece between the G and B strings on that guitar ?

Thought it might be a sawn-off tremolo arm, but it's an odd place to have one mounted.

6. Seeker_UK

It is a trem:
    [​IMG]

Odd place? Why yes sir, it's a cheap Jap guitar from the 60s, so why not?

Looks like you move the arm parallel to the face of the guitar body which is unusual.

-alan- likes this.
  7. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I looked at the trem on my Jazzmaster with a certain amount of suspicion when I first got it cos it looks funny (i.e. not like a strat!). But it works really well and allows one to do a lovely fine warble in the surf style.

8. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

The Doc Kauffman Vibrola moved sideways. And was a piece of crap.

Gibson also had a side-puller for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeker_UK likes this.
  9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The Gibson version was a pile of crap too ;)

10. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

12. matthewr

What you all need it Jack White's Three-Wheel-Motion Low Rider guitar.

myrman and gavreid like this.
  13. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

That drop D device on the Tele makes for some lovely drone sounds :)

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That is a bewilderingly complex Telecaster! Looks damn cool though.

15. matthewr

A friend of mine was once asked by her precocious daughter "What is the opposite of a Minotaur?". If one is every asked "What is the opposite of a Telecaster?" by a small child this would be a good answer.

16. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

A major tour?

17. matthewr

She took her to the British Museum and showed her a Centaur.

18. Seeker_UK

Because a B-Bender isn't complex enough...

19. matthewr

More playing and some chat from the awesome Kirk Fletcher this time on Chicago Blues and famous exponents thereof.

gavreid likes this.
  20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

These. Want.

I’m suffering a considerable degree of option paralysis though despite there only being two choices. I just wish the dem videos had some slightly more expensive chords. I know a Fuzzface circuit is pretty safe and doesn’t totally fart-out if you throw a 6 string jazz/emo chord at it, but what about the Black Hat Sound?