advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

That looks really good.

Supposed to be released 'on digital platforms' today 26th June - anybody any idea how to get the hold of it ?

It's not on Netflix or Prime AFAICT. There's a streaming option from the film's website, it implies it's region restricted, but you can still add it to the basket:

ACtC-3dKKYBV4lAIkG3LcvjAg2QUDcalIIO7493McU9BJ5uN57KTGhvFkPzUJU429SIHJU3FeVR92g7nlMHjPIns_g_zdo9-cge9OfF7C5uTP4L_OcuyLRmJ1RxAsUMMYGAr7MbVb5uothKIafn5t26WEbIRzg=w1296-h425-no

Seem to get a different page view if I use a US VPN endpoint:
ACtC-3cmiGL2sTIszYCscJdCJjHi4mKLb3D2xlZzypAcVySpNsFEZGz-Ktu7iRD4UxuGPymPMSOCxNC4ndscxqjsqgXUjXDHCqBIhOr33KHBA1Gy1D1SSDwwtWhZjs9igxFho5jXRXA3EQOkc5uD-ktB3m4meg=w1116-h751-no

I couldn’t resist the Reeves Electro fuzz I linked to upthread. It was backordered for a week (I suspect he’s starting to get noticed) and it turned up today. Here’s the inside:

50068521638_9e28f3c834_b.jpg

The workmanship is just astonishing, real art. Mine is #47!

I went for the 2n2Face version thinking it was likely more manageable/useful and easier to get to grips with than the more aggressive ‘Black Hat Sound’ limited edition (the correct answer would probably be to buy them both). I’m not a ‘lead’ player at all, I just don’t know how to do it and I’m not sure I really want to anyway, so really I’m looking for texture, i.e. if I stamp on a fuzz box I’m wanting Sonic Youth, Stooges, Hawkwind, Wire or whatever as I fully grasp I’ll never be Hendrix, as of course will no one else. As such this was a pretty decent choice as whilst it farts-out on some of the most expensive chords I know it can certainly do more than fourths, fifths etc (though it really sounds amazing on that simple two-note power-chord stuff). It ‘cleans up’ quite nicely, which is what I was really looking forward to playing with after watching TPS etc, but rather more so on the Strat than on the fatter sounding Yam. I suspect the volume pot taper may be different. I’m still on a learning curve here, plus in my rig so far I’m getting a bit too much overall volume change to go from ‘crunchy’ to ‘mental’ without feeling I’m playing far too loud on the latter. Using the BD-2 upstream as a compressor helps a bit there, but I suspect that’s just a side-effect of playing at very low domestic levels with a clean amp. Again, learning curve ahead, but its great fun and makes a pretty ungodly racket.

I’ve got it plugged in as first effect (obviously being a proper fuzz it needs to be first) with the BD-2 and DM-2W behind it and I think that makes sense, i.e. I’ll stick to a simple three-pedal line up, but plug either it or the RAT in depending on mood. They are significantly different which is great. My initial worry was it would overlap too much with either the RAT or BD-2, but it’s its own thing for sure. I may eventually end up building a proper little board, but I do rather like having a small selection of random pedals just sitting on the carpet 1970s style. To be honest the only other thing I’d like now is a chorus pedal, it’s the only thing I feel is missing (the amp has trem and reverb).

One fun trick with Fuzz Face type pedals is to use it as an always-on device. Especially with Strats. Set your amp on the edge, put the fuzz on, then roll back the volume on your guitar 'til it cleans up. When you find the right balance, you can go from (edgy) clean to overdrive to fuzz with the volume control of your guitar, without much change in overall loudness.

One fun trick with Fuzz Face type pedals is to use it as an always-on device. Especially with Strats. Set your amp on the edge, put the fuzz on, then roll back the volume on your guitar 'til it cleans up. When you find the right balance, you can go from (edgy) clean to overdrive to fuzz with the volume control of your guitar, without much change in overall loudness.

That’s kind of what I was thinking, but I can’t set my amp ‘on edge’ due to domestic volume constraints. Its a Rift PR6, which is a 6 Watt 60s Princeton type amp, so doesn’t have a master volume, just the input volume. It is a stunningly good sounding clean amp at the levels I can play at, beautiful jazz tones, perfect ‘Vini Reilly’ strat sound etc, I really like it, but I just can’t take it loud enough to get ‘crunch’, plus I spend a lot of time playing really clean so I’m not sure I’d want the amp setup that way at all. As such I tend to use the BD-2 as an emulator of that sort of ‘just on the edge’ amp sound, and it does that job very well indeed. I suspect I’ll be able to dial-in a good balance between the Reeves fuzz and the BD-2. Previously I’ve never felt the BD-2 and RAT played well together, I love each individually, but I never managed to get anything in combination I preferred to either pedal alone. This fuzz may prove my first successful bit of ‘gain stacking’...

I couldn’t resist the Reeves Electro fuzz I linked to upthread. It was backordered for a week (I suspect he’s starting to get noticed) and it turned up today. Here’s the inside:

50068521638_9e28f3c834_b.jpg

The workmanship is just astonishing, real art. Mine is #47!

I went for the 2n2Face version thinking it was likely more manageable/useful and easier to get to grips with than the more aggressive ‘Black Hat Sound’ limited edition (the correct answer would probably be to buy them both). I’m not a ‘lead’ player at all, I just don’t know how to do it and I’m not sure I really want to anyway, so really I’m looking for texture, i.e. if I stamp on a fuzz box I’m wanting Sonic Youth, Stooges, Hawkwind, Wire or whatever as I fully grasp I’ll never be Hendrix, as of course will no one else. As such this was a pretty decent choice as whilst it farts-out on some of the most expensive chords I know it can certainly do more than fourths, fifths etc (though it really sounds amazing on that simple two-note power-chord stuff). It ‘cleans up’ quite nicely, which is what I was really looking forward to playing with after watching TPS etc, but rather more so on the Strat than on the fatter sounding Yam. I suspect the volume pot taper may be different. I’m still on a learning curve here, plus in my rig so far I’m getting a bit too much overall volume change to go from ‘crunchy’ to ‘mental’ without feeling I’m playing far too loud on the latter. Using the BD-2 upstream as a compressor helps a bit there, but I suspect that’s just a side-effect of playing at very low domestic levels with a clean amp. Again, learning curve ahead, but its great fun and makes a pretty ungodly racket.

I’ve got it plugged in as first effect (obviously being a proper fuzz it needs to be first) with the BD-2 and DM-2W behind it and I think that makes sense, i.e. I’ll stick to a simple three-pedal line up, but plug either it or the RAT in depending on mood. They are significantly different which is great. My initial worry was it would overlap too much with either the RAT or BD-2, but it’s its own thing for sure. I may eventually end up building a proper little board, but I do rather like having a small selection of random pedals just sitting on the carpet 1970s style. To be honest the only other thing I’d like now is a chorus pedal, it’s the only thing I feel is missing (the amp has trem and reverb).

For the price I'd expect a few more components shoehorned in there.;)

For the price I'd expect a few more components shoehorned in there.;)

In some ways it’s expensive, as boutique FX pedals always are, but in others I’m amazed at the value given it is genuinely hand made by one bloke in a proper garden shed and with such astonishing care. I’d been toying with buying a ‘proper’ fuzz pedal* for a quite while now, and most of the highly respected ones are around £125-160 or so, sometimes a lot more (e.g. the fabulous Macaris Tonebender Mk1 reissue for £900!). Chances are that’s actually for a machine assembled board (not the Tonebender, obviously!), maybe even surface-mount stuff as even the big names like JHS, Wampler etc use SMD these days. I saw this Reeves Fuzz on the TPS Facebook group and thought for just an extra £40 or so I’m getting something special, plus I suspect it will be a great investment as I can’t see him being able to make them anything like fast enough once it gets reviewed by TPS, which is apparently on the cards. The casework is really nice too, the guy acid etches them himself. The website is here: reeveselectro.co.uk. I have a feeling he’ll be selling a lot of them as it is a damn cool thing. It’s only £165 more than a Chinese Behringer FFS!

*I had a Boss FZ-5 which I actually really liked. It gets panned in reviews as its digital, but to my ears it did a great impression of a Fuzzface, Maestro and Octavia. I just had an itch to try a far more simple and apparently more ‘responsive’ unit to see what the fuss was about. I sold the Boss a while back here so the Reeves kind of made my mind up what to buy, as previously I just couldn’t decide (I wanted the Tonebender, obviously, so in my world I saved myself £700!).

PS I haven’t watched Rhett’s video yet, but I clearly need that thing, whatever the hell it is.

Rhett bought one!

PS If you think that is expensive checkout the going rate for a second-hand Klon Centaur!

My latest squeeze, an Avalon Americana D320A with rosewood back and sides. Based on the Gibson J45. Plays like butter.

muwN7MI.jpg
Mq5V9sX.jpg
LBXT8Rm.jpg

azfIthG.jpg

They're meant to be lovely. Avalon was started by an ex Lowden guy right?

Where did you get it?

advertisement

Back