advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt III

With the right paint job you could make it look like a flat-fish, ray or something. Almost looks like a shark from below.

Was about to say you could start by atoning for that watch strap - but then realised it (almost) matches your guitar strap :)

Pretty cool photo!

Yebbut. . .
. . . it was the nearest thing I had to a sweatband. I was rather fond of it, but I do recall it began to fall apart after a number of gigs, bit by bit. :D

John

2007_Reverse_Flying_V_in_Trans_Amber.jpg

I’ll just leave this here (link).

With the right paint job you could make it look like a flat-fish, ray or something. Almost looks like a shark from below.

I give you the CS Gibson Thornback ..

ldJGR0Ih.png

A good friend of mine has decided to learn to play guitar and earlier tonight I had the pleasure of being the first person to get her up and running, as it were. However, first up was learning how to string-up a guitar, and thanks to the Bill Baker method as seen in the video below, she was stringing-up her guitar like a boss in no time at all - something that took me 30 years to master (thanks to Bill Baker)!

The USA map thing is pretty bad, but IIRC that was designed as a promo item for a guitar show, not a commercial product.

It's a weird one and a lot of mystery about it. It was in production for 2 years and EPiphone made a version so tends to suggest it was a commercial product.

AIUI, they only made 400 of the Reverse V - whether that's more or less than the Map, who knows?

It's a weird one and a lot of mystery about it. It was in production for 2 years and EPiphone made a version so tends to suggest it was a commercial product.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the two-year date-codes didn’t straddle the year as NAMM is sometime in January, so they likely knocked that one up the year before. I get the impression the Epiphone was way, way later (decades) when it became evident some people actually wanted to buy one! I’m not sure, but I think there may have been a few Custom Shop ones well after the fact too, but I’ve not googled so I may be wrong.

I’m amazed they thought 400 people would actually want a Reverse V!

PS Five Watt World’s video was fascinating in that the original Flying V sold under a hundred, now that is a rare guitar, and there are even less original Explorers (30-50!).

PS Five Watt World’s video was fascinating in that the original Flying V sold under a hundred, now that is a rare guitar, and there are even less original Explorers (30-50!).

And one known Explorer bass:

https://www.explorerbass.com/

Supposedly three were made, but neither of the alleged other two have ever surfaced. Maybe they're with the Moderne prototype...

I saw this bass in the window of We Buy Guitars in Manhattan in early 1984, with a tag that read "$11,000 SOLD".

AIUI, they only made 400 of the Reverse V - whether that's more or less than the Map, who knows?

They only made 90-odd original flying Vs

Having had an evening to cogitate. I reckon the reverse firebirds are pretty nasty too.

s-l640.jpg

It looks like what a 5 year old would draw if you gave them a crayon and asked them to draw a Jazzmaster.

I've played a P Bass since ages ago, then I stopped playing at all for about 15 years. I recently got the P Bass going again (with a J neck, EMG pups, and a hipshot bridge) - a lot of fun, but I've been wondering if a short scale might suit my hands better; I have small hands, and they're not getting any younger, larger or stronger (I'm 65), so I bought a Mustang Player PJ about a week ago, and then sent it back as there's an earth /shielding problem. First (brief) impressions were that it's a proper bass, but does sound a bit loose compared with the P. Since any number of guitarists (McLaughlin and Metheny to name but two) can make their guitars sound like whatever they like, I do feel that it's possible to make a shorty sound like a full scale......anyone have any views on this??

I've played a P Bass since ages ago, then I stopped playing at all for about 15 years. I recently got the P Bass going again (with a J neck, EMG pups, and a hipshot bridge) - a lot of fun, but I've been wondering if a short scale might suit my hands better; I have small hands, and they're not getting any younger, larger or stronger (I'm 65), so I bought a Mustang Player PJ about a week ago, and then sent it back as there's an earth /shielding problem. First (brief) impressions were that it's a proper bass, but does sound a bit loose compared with the P. Since any number of guitarists (McLaughlin and Metheny to name but two) can make their guitars sound like whatever they like, I do feel that it's possible to make a shorty sound like a full scale......anyone have any views on this??

What about a halfway house....https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/model/srmd/

Having had an evening to cogitate. I reckon the reverse firebirds are pretty nasty too.

s-l640.jpg

It looks like what a 5 year old would draw if you gave them a crayon and asked them to draw a Jazzmaster.

Dear goodness - the Jazzmaster is plenty ugly enough on its own, never mind having to get a 5 year old to draw a worse one .. :)

s-l640.jpg

And then there's the one that looks like a Jazzmaster that melted:

gxw46dicutio5tsrie9h.jpg

Reminds me of a young flatfish that is still in the process of transitioning.

Any updates/thoughts from those who watched Rick Beato’s string gauge challenge linked somewhere way back upthread?

I moved to 8s on my Yam SC1200 and I’m now totally used to them and I’m sure I’ll just keep this guitar strung this way. They play really easy and sound great (I use bass-cut on the amp anyway, so losing a bit of mud/mush at the bottom was never an issue). I don’t seem to be pulling chords out of tune or anything, and I’ve never been an aggressive player anyway (just too lazy!).

The light strings have been a really positive thing as I suspect this guitar has been sitting in its case unloved since sometime shortly after it was born in 1978-9, and this is never at all good for a guitar. As such as I mentioned upthread it had just a bit too much neck relief, certainly for my taste, and I was getting to the point I was not happy cranking the truss rod any further. As Dave with his World Of Fun Stuff says truss rods need little adjustments and often. He is absolutely right. Anyway, after having the 8s on for I guess several months now the neck relief is exactly how I’d want it (I like quite a straight neck, so that’s around 8-9 thou) and the truss rod isn’t cranked up crazy tight at all, I could certainly get a bit more out of it. My feeling is the neck is gradually going back to where it should be, and I suspect I‘ll end up loosening the truss rod a eighth turn or so next year. It really plays amazingly well now. I’d love to know this guitar’s history as it is in such unfeasibly good condition someone must have really hated/ignored it given its around 42 years old! Even the hard case is close to mint, so it was clearly never gigged.

PS Mosrite’s are just totally cool! Never played one, but I love the look (I have Ventures albums!). As a Shergold fan I’m obviously a bit of a Burns fan too, and Mosrite always struck me as the ‘American Burns’.

Big fan of Sonic Youth, but I’d want a tone control at the least. I had a ‘90s Japanese Jazzmaster for a while and never really took to it they way I thought I would. I made the huge mistake of selling a cool black ‘70s Fender Bronco to get it. That thing was bloody great! Short scale, single pickup, great whammy bar. Crazy twang, dirtied up great (I had a RAT and a Wem Copicat) and so easy to play. I wish I’d still got it. I’d say it and the Yam SC1200 are the two best guitars I’ve ever owned. Certainly the two I’ve connected with the best, and that’s the important thing.

advertisement

Back