advertisement

Grammar Schools?

Maths is not my subject, but I'd have thought the statistically, the chances are that, like it or not, you will, indeed, be treated by an 'average' doctor.

And I'd have thought that the chances of raising the standard of that 'average' would be increase by raising the attainment of all.

I'd also like to say that every doctor who has treated me has been exemplary. I have no idea if they were rated average or otherwise, but surely the point is that they provided me with what I needed irrespective of a selection criteria.

Was Harold Shipman average?.......lucky you not to have had him as your GP

Again your position shows a good deal of complacency

Simon

Isn't this all rather going to rather piss off the Tory voting middle classes who's kids are currently in a nice successful high achieving comprehensive who find it has just effectively been stealth-demoted to a Secondary Modern role as some blurt ideologue such as Toby Young or an organised religion has opened a "Grammar School" up the road?

No stereotyping here, eh?

Simon

Was Harold Shipman average?.......lucky you not to have had him as your GP

Again your position shows a good deal of complacency

Simon

Are you suggesting that all 'average' doctors are some sort of Harold Shipman? Perhaps you'd like to wear a t-shirt to that effect next time you're in A&E. Or do you have private health care?

Again your position shows someone who doesn't know when to stop digging

Judging by the joyless response you don't teach English Lit either.

I really must apologise if you've found my responses less than full of joy. I've found yours most amusing.

Perhaps you could teach me some of the finer points of English Lit?

I really must apologise if you've found my responses less than full of joy. I've found yours most amusing.

Perhaps you could teach me some of the finer points of English Lit?

The quote is from Dickens's Mr Gradgrind, a harsh and cruel man.
'Nowt to it' was intended as an amusing counterpoint to your obvious dedication and the difficult job you do.
Your silence on the Ofsted links I posted in the other thread that largely reflect the hilarious points I've been making is telling.

'Nowt to it' was intended as an amusing counterpoint to your obvious dedication and the difficult job you do.
Your silence on the Ofsted links I posted in the other thread that largely reflect the hilarious points I've been making is telling.

So sorry I missed your allusion to Dickens, probably down to my lack of education.

and as for Ofsted, surely you've noticed that even Michael Wilshaw has condemned Grammar schools in the last few days?

It does refute May's claim from the available evidence.
It doesn't, because May made no claim based on free school meal qualification, and the data from that is not significant either way, partly because the sample size is too small since there aren't very many grammar schools.

ISTM that it's quite plausible that 'poor' children at grammars generally happen to have supportive parents, and that therefore they probably wouldn't fail in a comprehensive.

Paul

The latest 'idea' is that Grammar schools lower the intake tariff requirements for low-income students (however that is measured).

So, that means that some middle-class kids with pass grades will not get into the Grammars, the children from low-income families will be seen as given an 'easy ride' and will be separated out and probably bullied. Parents whose kids did well enough to get in but were excluded by this positive discrimination will be royally annoyed.

Assuming the idea of Grammars is to have a group of children of similar academic ability, doesn't that kill that particular so-called advantage stone-dead?

I teach students across a wide range of A level grades and having those who come in with a B and 2Cs alongside straight A* students is a challenge that not all teachers are up to. It's hard work!

Selection means there will be losers—and in the case of Grammar schools, they might well be from the affluent middle classes (i.e. Conservative voters) who just can't afford private fees. Especially pi%%ed off will be those parents who have paid for private lessons and private junior school specifically to get their kids into a Grammar.

Stephen

I also think that an education system that works for everyone is just as important as an NHS that works for everyone. If you support the principle of a Health Service fit for everyone, why not an education system?

Because one size does not fit all. NHS I would be dead if I had to wait for the overstretched NHS.

Because one size does not fit all. NHS I would be dead if I had to wait for the overstretched NHS.

If you have the privilege of going private, then good luck to you. The rest of us need properly funded public services that are fit for everyone and treat everyone fairly

So, to tackle pedantry, I'll re state my question; if we accept the notion that a publicly funded health service should be fit for everyone, treats everyone fairly, and doesn't select on treatability, why don't we also want an education system that is fit for everybody, treats all pupils fairly and doesn't select on teachability?

Teaching a student who can barely read and write among a class of students struggling to come to terms with Shakespeare reinforces to the student that he is not as "clever" as the other students. What does the teacher do spend all his time with this one student and tell the rest of the class to carry on by themselves because they can read? Students who fall far behind their peers become very disillusioned very quickly and in most, not all cases, become a disruptive element within the classroom because of their frustration and perceived inadequacy leading to the teacher devoting more time to this one student for the wrong reasons in order to allow those more capable students to thrive.

Teaching a student who can barely read and write among a class of students struggling to come to terms with Shakespeare reinforces to the student that he is not as "clever" as the other students. What does the teacher do spend all his time with this one student and tell the rest of the class to carry on by themselves because they can read? Students who fall far behind their peers become very disillusioned very quickly and in most, not all cases, become a disruptive element within the classroom because of their frustration and perceived inadequacy leading to the teacher devoting more time to this one student for the wrong reasons in order to allow those more capable students to thrive.

Is any of this based on classroom observation? If so, in what capacity were you observing and what type of school?

Ability streaming is the only way schools can achieve good results and cheaper. Additional staff to help with struggling/ disruptive pupils is not required in large classes where they are focused and want to achieve. Contrast this with lower ability pupils, who are expected to learn the same information, which is totally useless to them and they don't want to be at school. The solution is smaller classes, slower pace and one or more teaching assistants working with those who need help.

Sorry, are you implying Toby Young isn't a blurt ideologue?
It's interesting that Toby Young's school isn't selective, yet is hard core high expectation academic, in the style of a grammar.

It seems to be doing rather well.

Paul

ks.234

I have been a teacher in various secondary schools from Leigh in Lancashire, to Inner London schools to rural schools in Norfolk and now my current school. I have been a teacher for 40 years and have been an exam marker for GCSE exam papers for various Exam Boards for nearly 30 years.

advertisement

Back