advertisement

Glastonbury 22

Major highlight was catching that set from Warmduscher this afternoon. Currently available on the BBC's iplayer under the hidden gems banner. Devo meets Captain Beefheart via the Fall and various other channels. Glorious stuff (and not stuck up its own derrière at all)

Anyone who didn’t get what Kendrick Lamar absolutely needs to go back and watch the last ten minutes of the set. Just stunning. Shocking. Real next-level art. Politically absolutely bang on as I’d expect from him.

PS All his stuff is very heavily coded, he’s scary intelligent. It took me months as a dumb white guy with no understanding of the culture to understand what To Pimp A Butterfly was actually about, and even now I probably only understand about 70% of it.

Completely agree, and an exceptional performance

Completely agree, and an exceptional performance

I thought the whole set was astonishing and stunningly choreographed/staged, but the end, f***ing hell! I had little idea what to expect as I just have a few albums and no visual reference, but that was next-level stuff. A highly literate 21st century protest music designed to educate, support and motivate those who understand the layers, and simultaneously alienate and troll those it is protesting against. It was refreshing to see the place rammed with young folk who knew every word and nuance. I doubt anyone expected that end though!

PS Just to give some indication what I’m trying to get across here, here’s one of the sites decoding To Pimp A Butterfly (DilsonMusic). I’m pretty sure it was one of the ones that helped me get my head around it.

I thought the whole set was astonishing and stunningly choreographed/staged, but the end, f***ing hell! I had little idea what to expect as I just have a few albums and no visual reference, but that was next-level stuff. A highly literate 21st century protest music designed to educate, support and motivate those who understand the layers, and simultaneously alienate and troll those it is protesting against. It was refreshing to see the place rammed with young folk who knew every word and nuance. I doubt anyone expected that end though!
And messaging made even stronger with everything that’s gone on in the world over the last two years. It would have been great had we seen him in 2020, but in 2022, as you say, another level.

Liking Bicep. That’s definitely one to check out in full tomorrow. I want to see PSB, Amyl & The Sniffers and many more, I’ll end up watching most things at least partially. It has been a really good Glastonbury this year, one of the best for sure. So much great stuff across so many genres.

On Four Tet now and I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Always quite liked what I've heard before on casual listen but never followed up. Not really working for me in this context and the formula - beats, some noodly keys and various samples - seems stale compared to some of the other acts I've seen this weekend. And I have literally hundreds if not thousands of house and electronic dance tracks from the mid 80s on that are at least as good or better.

Watching Diana Ross right now and it's painful. 78, yes, an achievement, but surely if you can no longer hit the notes or even sing in tune, you shouldn't be on stage. Or am I being too harsh?
Beyond even the capabilities of Auto-tune. When there’s no voice left I don’t see how you can perform live even under the cover of an amazing band and backing singers. I sounded like someone ( who can’t sing) singing along to Diana Ross while they were chopping vegetables.

Astonishing show. He is next level as an artist both lyrically and musically and a legitimate genius. I understand why the, shall we say, rock traditionalists don't get him but I am always surprised all the jazzers don't love him. He's playing your music man!

it was an astonishing show - rushed by too quickly. Lyrically clever and making a point all the way through. I like the empty stage and the choreography. But I should say, I was not convinced by the show end.....You cannot take anything away from the power of the message and his art

Personally I prefer something more up tempo in terms of beat. A bit more forcefulness in spitting the bars.

AJ Tracey comes first for me closely followed by MTS and then KL

Diana Ross is getting more stick than Macca though - he was painful too. Presuamably they carry on because they enjoy it and people still turn up to listen.

So glad I'm not the only one who thought that. However what really impressed me (apart from the fact that they can still perform at their age) is the fact that their music still appeals to people 60 years their junior.

Macca struggled to reach some of the high notes (Maybe I'm Amazed - which I challenge anyone to attempt) and sometimes was frail when unaccompanied.
Ross was out of tune almost all the time.
And Paul wrote his stuff.

As to the continued appeal...the songs of Motown and The Beatles are jewels of the form. They'll be around as long as Bach.

Anyone who didn’t get what Kendrick Lamar was doing absolutely needs to go back and watch the last ten minutes of the set. Just stunning. Shocking. Real next-level art. Politically absolutely bang on (as I’d expect from him).

PS All his stuff is very heavily coded, he’s scary intelligent. It took me months as a dumb white guy with no understanding of the culture to understand what To Pimp A Butterfly was actually about, and even now I probably only understand about 70% of it (I actually had to find online explanations as I couldn’t understand it unaided). It is unquestionably one of the best albums of this century.
Agreed. An outstanding end to a great set. Chills!

First Glastonbury-related order turned up earlier this morning: Snarky Puppy Live At The Albert Hall (Amazon), decent price given its a triple. Only on side two, but it sounds great. My first album by them, and a good place to start by all accounts.

Kendrick Lamar’s Mr Morale & The Big Steppers should drop through the letterbox in CD form by 7:00 tonight. I’ll then take some time figuring out what he’s on about with the new material before watching that truly astonishing Glastonbury set again before it vanishes.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back