advertisement

Glasto 2024

I was hoping to see Squeeze just now - nothing. They're still fab live...

I was a bit gutted by this, really wanted to see it it when I got back from work. They’re such a great band, and such a strong back catalogue of great songs.

Currently on Paul Heaton, and it’s wall to wall hits. I’d forgotten just how many hits TBS achieved.

This was a bit of a tear jerker for me. My mate who I’ve known since he was about seven plays drums for Paul. They’re such a great band.

Rambling thoughts

I really like the idea of Idles, their ideas, performance and approach - but find them quite hard to listen to. It seems strangely testosterone fuelled for such a politically informed band, even if one of them does wear a dress. I want to find an all female version of the Idles.
I found them a brilliant melange of punk, hip-hop, metal, and free jazz- a glorious cacophony.

The Slits? Not quite as overtly political tho.’

I watched Dua Lipa in preference to Idles... much as I admire their forthrightness and energy, I just don't like the music much. But I'll give them a go on iPlayer later.

The singer for Idles seems like an absolute tool. Standard shouty rock.

Dua Lipa bland, but the shots of the crowd 100% justify the headlining. Lots of under 20’s looking rapturously at the stage and singing along. That’s what it should be about, no?

Predictably enough for my age and demographic, LCD were incredible. Surely ‘Losing My Edge’ is the anthem of record-collecting men of a certain age. I need to see them live soon.
I agree Idles are too shouty from what I have heard of them on Radio 6 Music. Yet to listen to their Glasto set. The words you remember are whispered not shouted.

I watched Dua Lipa in preference to Idles... much as I admire their forthrightness and energy, I just don't like the music much. But I'll give them a go on iPlayer later.
Don’t think I’d sit at home and listen for an extended period, but live they seemed riotously good fun. A perfect festival band.

Whatever the hell it is that Heilung do they are still doing it!

PS It is a rather good example of whatever it is.
I went to iPlayer to see them, as I have a CD of Drif, bought for me by the weird grandson*. Didn't really get on with that, but the stage performance was something else. To my surprise, my wife stayed up to watch it all (played it from 10-12pm).
* I think my work is done there; got him into Coil and Muslimgauze. :cool:

I own most of her albums too, she's just brilliant!
Must admit, I find her early stuff a bit difficult, but from To Bring You My Love onwards she’s barely put a foot wrong. I Inside was my album of 23 and Let England Shake is one of the greatest English albums ever imo.

Caught 5 minutes of Dua Lipa, not my thing and she looked like she was lip syncing, looked like the crowd were enjoying it. I like the guys from Idles but can’t really be bothered listening to their music, I don’t have enough time to listen to stuff I actually like.

I’d like to go to Glastonbury if I had a private toilet. I suspect if I went I’d be listening to stuff on the smaller stages for most of it.

Cheers BB

I think that's part of it tbh. It's all just a bit laddish for me.
I get this, and am torn with them. I wouldn't choose to listen to them at home, but live, they are just so visceral, and they seem to have really nailed the organised chaos thing. Their set last night was just so powerful. Everything else after just sounded anemic. In terms of laddishness, they're on the right side of Kasabian for me, just.

I get this, and am torn with them. I wouldn't choose to listen to them at home, but live, they are just so visceral, and they seem to have really nailed the organised chaos thing. Their set last night was just so powerful. Everything else after just sounded anemic. In terms of laddishness, they're on the right side of Kasabian for me, just.
For me, take the dress thing. Lots of people of the years have put on a frock. In this case it doesn't feel subversive or interesting in the way it was with Bowie or even Kurt Cobain. It just looks like a big hairy squaddie in a dress.

Which is kind of how I feel about them in general. They're presented as being 'dangerous' and 'subversive' but the more I hear that the more it starts to feel like marketing hype. Plus I kind of feel like we've seen it all before and done better.

Though I do also feel like I'm being a bit unfair. They're a rock band and they're good at what they do. All power to them. Just doesn't float my boat.

I have a feeling I don’t understand the term ‘laddish’, to me it means the cringeworthy sexist cock-rock of say Whitesnake or any number of similarly ancient heavy rock bands from Led Zep onwards. I see Idles are a chaotic post-punk/noise band, and a very politically articulate one. I’d liken them to a modern Dead Kennedys or Black Flag. I’d stick them in the ‘punk/hardcore’ rack in a record shop. The thing that is odd is the extent of their success, you just don’t see that kind of band headlining Glastonbury!

advertisement

Back