advertisement

Glasto 2024

I'm know I'm seriously in a minority but there's something about Idles that's always rubbed me up the wrong way. Can't quite put my finger on why.

Playing devil’s advocate, I could say Idles are Banksy in musical form. A bit obvious, over-earnest, preachy, oh so edgy posturing. Might impress on a first listen, not so much when you see through it for what it is (and isn’t).

I think that's part of it tbh. It's all just a bit laddish for me.

‘The mask of masculinity is a mask, a mask that’s wearing me’. Oh behave.

More from Sleaford Mods’ Jason Williamson:

IMG-2185.jpg

Quite amusing that he says all that in the Guardian, of all places. : )

I'm know I'm seriously in a minority but there's something about Idles that's always rubbed me up the wrong way. Can't quite put my finger on why.

It's like a lot of heavy / hard rock of the 2000s, noisy but doesn't 'flow' - the tunes seem a bit disjointed, stilted in how its played, can't really get your mosh on.

Apologies, I struggle to find the right words for it. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just sounds 'off'.

It's like a lot of heavy / hard rock of the 2000s, noisy but doesn't 'flow' - the tunes seem a bit disjointed, stilted in how its played, can't really get your mosh on.

Apologies, I struggle to find the right words for it. I can't quite put my finger on it but it just sounds 'off'.
I don't mind that so much. I quite like music that's disjointed and disorienting even.

Like Alex says, it just feels like they're overpromising a bit. The music industry loves selling tidily packaged rebellion.

To me a band like Fugazi who ran their own label, booked their own tours in all ages venues with low ticket prices, refused to sell merch, were explicit in rejecting most of the 'music biz' because they didn't agree with how it operated is a far more powerful political statement about how to live your life.

But I'm setting the bar pretty high there. They're a rock band and people enjoy their music. Fair enough.

I have a feeling I don’t understand the term ‘laddish’, to me it means the cringeworthy sexist cock-rock of say Whitesnake or any number of similarly ancient heavy rock bands from Led Zep onwards. I see Idles are a chaotic post-punk/noise band, and a very politically articulate one. I’d liken them to a modern Dead Kennedys or Black Flag. I’d stick them in the ‘punk/hardcore’ rack in a record shop. The thing that is odd is the extent of their success, you just don’t see that kind of band headlining Glastonbury!
Spot on

I’d liken them to a modern Dead Kennedys or Black Flag. I’d stick them in the ‘punk/hardcore’ rack in a record shop. The thing that is odd is the extent of their success, you just don’t see that kind of band headlining Glastonbury!
Forty years later I think it's fair to say punk/hardcore has been well and truly assimilated into the mainstream.

I spent some time volunteering in a punk venue a few years back. Lovely people but no less musically conservative than Ronnie Scotts.

The thing I enjoyed most about it was how it was largely run by female and queer people. It's healthy to find yourself in the minority for a change.

By 'laddish' I just mean that with Idles a big sweaty hairy bloke in a dress comes across as more stag do than subversive.

I just happened to be in front of the telly when Dua Lipa came on. At 75, I'm hardly in the front row of contemporary music fans and all I knew about her was her name.
First impressions. A good looker with a mostly pretty slick delivery. Simple but effective dancing about.. etc. She seems to have a decent enough voice and can sing... in a pretty generic sort of a way. I even recognised a couple of her songs from what I must have heard on radio. The nearest thing I've seen to that performance was Kylie a few years back. She couldn't sing for toffee...
DL's endless gushing about how it was her "lifelong dream to be here, on the Pyramid Stage with you guys.." started out a little twee and became very wearing. Would she have given up her reported personal stash of £90 million plus to be there? ;)

Overall then, I'm sure DLs fans loved it. I didn't find it off putting..but I was struck by the contrast between such a big, full on, pure pop, MOR show, and the sort of thing which was prevalent when Glasto started.

I see the same in the Punters. All sorts of fancy dress, young ladies 'dolled up' to the nines etc. It's almost like a load of upper middle class Glampers out 'slumming'.

I promise I'll try to find time in my busy schedule to listen to a bit more... maybe something a bit more 'dangerous' and 'edgy'... :cool:

Idles are easily the band of the festival for me, so far, although LCD Soundsystem put on an ace set.

How can they put The Streets on at 8.30 - 9.30 pm and Sleaford Mods at 9.00 - 10.00 pm ?

Bad planning or what ?

I remember watching about 30 seconds of their set a couple of years ago, Aside from the appalling racket they class as “music” I was a bit taken aback by the first line of a song dedicated to the vocalist’s baby daughter containing the words “f**k the police”. It’s not exactly Stevie Wonder and “Isn’t she lovely?” is it?!

Only watched Dua Lipa so far and must admit I enjoyed her in a polished, undemanding pop kind of way. She does have a very nice bottom, too…

Planning to check out PJ Harvey, Fontaines DC and LCD Soundsystem in due course.

I remember watching about 30 seconds of their set a couple of years ago, Aside from the appalling racket they class as “music” I was a bit taken aback by the first line of a song dedicated to the vocalist’s baby daughter containing the words “f**k the police”. It’s not exactly Stevie Wonder and “Isn’t she lovely?” is it?!
Not the first band to express such a sentiment I believe Adam but I'm now having second thoughts about recommending you Doom's seminal 1989 crust 7" 'Police Bastard - currently going for £80 on Discogs!

By some astonishing oversight they were never invited to play Glasto!

Only watched Dua Lipa so far and must admit I enjoyed her in a polished, undemanding pop kind of way. She does have a very nice bottom, too…

Planning to check out PJ Harvey, Fontaines DC and LCD Soundsystem in due course.
PJ Harvey was a superb set! be interested in your opinion Adam.

I'm just trying to imagine a 1973 Glasto where the headliners had their big hits 50 years earlier in 1923.

Billy Cotton was dead by then so I guess it would be down to Ambrose and his Orchestra to bring the good times.

In fairness I reckon they'd have found space for Brubeck, Basie, Ellington, possibly Sarah Vaughan etc.etc.., , but I take your point.. would the youthful 'Rock Age', relate to the elderly Jazz Age?
What we are witnessing now are all artists from the 'rock age'... which ISTM, is slowly dying..

The thing I enjoyed most about it was how it was largely run by female and queer people. It's healthy to find yourself in the minority for a change.

It always was IME. The Liverpool scene based around Planet X and a few other cafes, pubs, record shops etc were always really diverse and welcoming venues full of punks, goths, LGBTQ+ and just about any misfit imaginable. A really cool scene. It is what grew out of Eric’s (which I was too young to have been a part of), and run by many of the same crowd. I hate to think how many gigs I saw at Planet X, there most weeks for a few years!

advertisement

Back