advertisement

Glasto 2024

It always was IME. The Liverpool scene based around Planet X and a few other cafes, pubs, record shops etc were always really diverse and welcoming venues full of punks, goths, LGBTQ+ and just about any misfit imaginable. A really cool scene. It is what grew out of Eric’s (which I was too young to have been a part of), and run by many of the same crowd. I hate to think how many gigs I saw at Planet X, there most weeks for a few years!
Yeah it's always been there. I used to read HomoCore zine in the late 80s (I sold my last copy to a posh NY art gallery for £££ a few years back!)

But punk has become a LOT more female and queer over the past couple of decades. A very good thing.

Not much I’m fussed about today, The Breeders and Sleaford Mods is about it.

Shame there’s no Jon Hopkins/Chemical Bros/Four Tet/Rival Consoles etc on the bill

I can't watch the livestream, but this from The Guardian about the brilliant Kneecap:

(“You are not having a psychotic breakdown. We are rapping in Irish,” quips member Mo Chara.) But it’s a language barrier easily overcome by the trio’s sheer exuberance, as they bound across the stage, tops off six songs in. The mix of politics and comedy is a potent one - Your Sniffer Dogs Are Shite is an anti-stop and search screed that also manages to be very funny. (“A dog shouldn’t have a ****ing job,” adlibs Móglaí Bap while introducing it.) But they are also sincere, as when unfurling a large Palestinian flag in response to the ongoing situation in Gaza. “We love the British people – we just don’t like your Tory government,” shouts Chara at the set’s close.

Amen Mo,

Hope their set comes up on Youtube

It always was IME. The Liverpool scene based around Planet X and a few other cafes, pubs, record shops etc were always really diverse and welcoming venues full of punks, goths, LGBTQ+ and just about any misfit imaginable. A really cool scene. It is what grew out of Eric’s (which I was too young to have been a part of), and run by many of the same crowd. I hate to think how many gigs I saw at Planet X, there most weeks for a few years!
This is an interesting book, The Velvet Mafia: The Gay Men Who Ran the Swinging Sixties Larry Parnes, Beatles manager Brian Epstein, songwriter Lionel Bart, record producer Joe Meek, and Bee Gees and Cream manager Robert Stigwood. Winner of the 2022 Penderyn Music Book Prize.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
But punk has become a LOT more female and queer over the past couple of decades. A very good thing.

That’s good to see. I guess the female aspect was just baked right into the Liverpool scene as Planet X was run by Doreen Allen who’d worked at Eric’s previously, and you can’t go too far in the Liverpool art and music scene without bumping into Jayne Casey in some context. If one was going to dive into the counterculture in the 1980s Liverpool was one of the very best places to do so IMO. Just so much going on and so many great people and venues.

I never knew that much about the LGBTQ+ scene, but there was certainly some overlap, e.g. I had a fair few goth mates and the Lisbon, one of Liverpool’s better known gay pubs, was always a safe space at that end of town. Anyone could go there and not get any shit. It was another place with a good vibe to it.

That’s good to see. I guess the female aspect was just baked right into the Liverpool scene as Planet X was run by Doreen Allen who’d worked at Eric’s previously, and you can’t go too far in the Liverpool art and music scene without bumping into Jayne Casey in some context. If one was going to dive into the counterculture in the 1980s Liverpool was one of the very best places to do so IMO. Just so much going on and so many great people and venues.

I never knew that much about the LGBTQ+ scene, but there was certainly some overlap, e.g. I had a fair few goth mates and the Lisbon, one of Liverpool’s better known gay pubs, was always a safe space at that end of town. Anyone could go there and not get any shit. It was another place with a good vibe to it.

There were great bands, but everywhere closed early !! The nIghtlife got better in the 90s, the bands got worse.

Caught PJ Harvey on I-player. Better when they got the guitars out and played some of the old ones I thought. If you're reading this Polly, I'm still available to be your boyfriend.

LCD Soundsystem rocked, electro-dadrocked I'd say.

This is an interesting book, The Velvet Mafia: The Gay Men Who Ran the Swinging Sixties Larry Parnes, Beatles manager Brian Epstein, songwriter Lionel Bart, record producer Joe Meek, and Bee Gees and Cream manager Robert Stigwood. Winner of the 2022 Penderyn Music Book Prize.

The author was on ‘A Word In Your Ear’ Podcast a couple of weeks ago, nice guy and it sounds like a great book.

Cheers BB

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I thought the crowd had a long wait to hear the earlier and more 'festival appropriate' stuff towards the end. The crowd looked underwhelmed for a lot of it, ripples of polite applause, but more smiles and dancing for the last four songs or so.
I really like the Let England Shake songs. Best bit for me.

Watched a bit of Idles when we got back - trying too hard to be cool.

Looking forward to Little Simz later - bit of a one hit wonder, but a great lyricist, even if her latest material is a bit inward reflective mush. We saw her live in Birmingham about 6 months ago

The Last Dinner Party now. Still can’t decide if they are good/terrible, and that’s after buying the album!

dunno what the album is like but we've seen them live, a couple of times. Am enjoying this Glasto set, like them live as they have a visual presence.

Playing devil’s advocate, I could say Idles are Banksy in musical form. A bit obvious, over-earnest, preachy, oh so edgy posturing. Might impress on a first listen, not so much when you see through it for what it is (and isn’t).

‘The mask of masculinity is a mask, a mask that’s wearing me’. Oh behave.

More from Sleaford Mods’ Jason Williamson:

IMG-2185.jpg

Quite amusing that he says all that in the Guardian, of all places. : )
What a load of guff that guy talks at times. Are we going to start rating pop bands’ integrity according to how high the tower block that they grew up in was? Is it only ‘authentic working class bands’ that are allowed to be edgy and political? That’ll rule out about 85% of pop bands then.

advertisement

Back