advertisement

General Election 2024

One worrying result when canvassing was that a lot of under 25yrs said they would vote for Reform.

You must live in a particularly nasty area as the <24statistic is 6% and 25-29 even lower. That said as a Tory door-knocker any decent person would have slammed the door in your face.

Don’t let them off the hook. If Labour fail to make significant improvements it won’t be because the problems are intractable but because fixing them isn’t compatible with their politics, skillset and career plans. People are *rightly* going to be angry at having their hopes dashed, and this will be a good thing.
Totally agree Sean. Labour have spent so long "managing expectations" that we know they're not minded to fix things. In five years time a lot of voters are going to look at the NHS still being ****ed and wonder what the point of Labour is.

Whether that brings about real change in British politics? I'm afraid I'm not optimistic.

You must live in a particularly nasty area as the <25 statistic is 6%. That said as a Tory door-knocker any decent person would have slammed the door in your face.
Why you cannot be civilised is beyond me.

One point I have made for years is that Swindon is one of areas that is spot on for national trends. This is why the major parties take notice of the canvassing results.

I would guess with things like Reform, the timing is crucial, small parties go up and down in popularity like a yoyo. So 6% last month, 10% last week and whatever next week.

I didn't slam my door in the face of the Tory activist who knocked. I smirked a bit and wished him good luck - because he's going to need it - before quickly but politely closing the door.

The look on his face suggested that was broadly speaking the general response he'd been getting that day.

Because you are not behaving in civilised or decent manner. You have been politely asked not to smear your politics over this website countless times, yet here you are again fly-tipping your party’s junk at my expense. I won’t ban you, but I will certainly take the piss out of you. You, like “Ponty” are a troll. You will be treated as such.

One worrying result when canvassing was that a lot of under 25yrs said they would vote for Reform.
I'm astonished to learn that both Reform candidates for Swindon were dropped last month after it was discovered they were dodgy racists.

I thought that was the main criteria for eligibility.

I didn't slam my door in the face of the Tory activist who knocked. I smirked a bit and wished him good luck - because he's going to need it - before quickly but politely closing the door.

The look on his face suggested that was broadly speaking the general response he'd been getting that day.
I always try to ensure that they see me putting their materials straight in to the outside bin!

Xb8pmzE.jpeg

Totally agree Sean. Labour have spent so long "managing expectations" that we know they're not minded to fix things. In five years time a lot of voters are going to look at the NHS still being ****ed and wonder what the point of Labour is.

Whether that brings about real change in British politics? I'm afraid I'm not optimistic.

Based on current trends, real change will come eventually. From the far-right.

Whilst I don't agree with much of their (political) views, I wouldn't call their expression of an opinion that isn't aligned to the majority view on this forum as trolling.

You need to factor this is an anti-fascist site. It sits in its own location in the audio community providing a welcoming space by design. I’m happy to host everyone as long as any ugly exclusionary right-wing politics are kept off the site. I don’t care what people are offline, but given the extremist mainstream Tory position on refugees/Rwanda, LGBTQ+ rights, the disabled, homeless, Israeli genocide etc I find activists fly-tipping here beyond repugnant. It is directly against the site ethos. It really is taking the piss.

You need to factor this is an anti-fascist site. It sits in its own location in the audio community providing a welcoming space by design. I’m happy to host everyone as long as any ugly exclusionary right-wing politics are kept off the site. I don’t care what people are offline, but given the current mainstream Tory position on Rwanda, LGBTQ+ rights, the disabled, homeless, Israeli genocide etc I find right-wing activists fly-tipping here beyond repugnant. It is directly against the site ethos. It really is taking the piss.
I get what you’re saying, and I tend to ignore the obvious trolls, but there’s a risk that Off Topic then becomes a mere echo chamber. @Mick P certainly adds to the gaiety of nations, whenever he’s not taking luncheon (which seems to occupy more and more of his time recently). I’d be sorry to see him gone.

What should be a really telling difference between the Tories and Labour is that while the Tories never slag off their own leaders from the past. Labour campaigned against their last leader and their own membership while he was in office and in the run up to an election.

What the right of the party did then, and has continued to do since, is fundamentally undemocratic and has in the process, and not incidentally, become more racist, not less.

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying, and I tend to ignore the obvious trolls, but there’s a risk that Off Topic then becomes a mere echo chamber. @Mick P certainly adds to the gaiety of nations, whenever he’s not taking luncheon (which seems to occupy more and more of his time recently). I’d be sorry to see him gone.

As I say I’m not banning him. More offering an editorial disclaimer as to who he is. This is a man who went door to door selling austerity, the ‘Hostile Environment’, Brexit etc etc. A man who took a lavish state pension won by decades of trade union activism, stabbed them in the back, and finally cashed in via PFI that your grandchildren will be paying for. I’m sorry, but I’ve not a lot of respect here. Especially given I’ve paid for every last one of his gloating posts!

Because you are not behaving in civilised or decent manner. You have been politely asked not to smear your politics over this website countless times, yet here you are again fly-tipping your party’s junk at my expense. I won’t ban you, but I will certainly take the piss out of you. You, like “Ponty” are a troll. You will be treated as such.
I disagree. While I disagree with most of what Ponty and Mick say, they are among the least troll-like on pfm.

Their views might be 180° wrong, but it is surely the fact that the current Labour Party appeals to both that it is the problem.

They should stay, and be listened to, as examples of what (not who) the Labour Party now appeals to.

No not by itself, there will need to be some organising. The right will of course try to take advantage, as drood suggests. But they actually have an uphill struggle in some respects because there is much, much more public support for progressive values than there is for the fash stuff. It’s just a question of getting representation for it, because as we’ve seen the media-politics class will systematically block and attack left wing voices while spraying the most extreme right wing garbage into every living room and newsstand in the country.

advertisement

Back