advertisement

General Election 2024

Fascism has always been about corruption.

In related news I see Farage is off to support Trump rather than fail in yet another seat here. I guess he views America as closer to his fascist dreams than the UK.

Clearly the grifting options are far more rewarding over there.

Nothing really changes.

Way back around 1969 or so I hawked myself with guitar around the folk clubs as I could get in free for just two songs.

This was a topical one I used to perform at the time:-

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Philosophers and sages have been dreaming down the ages,
How to make the working classes work more hours for low wages,

Chorus
Did you ever see did you ever see did you ever see such a funny thing before?

In the days of Britains might before we landed in the mess.... ,
It was traditionally Tories had the job of screwing prolies,
Chorus

A Labour lad called Harold in his Gannex Mac apparelled,
Cried Labours a go-getter and can screw the workers better,
Chorus

He said "I'll save the nation with an act of legislation,
With the problem I will wrestle helped by Mrs Barbara Castle,
Chorus
and so on
As for Harold it is time he was cut down in his prime,
and Mrs Barbara Castle's had the bill shoved up her Astle,
Chorus
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Takes me back!

DV

I’m hoping corruption rises to the fore. Tory Party finances needs blowing wide open under the brightest spotlight. Labour might be too tainted to do this, but other smaller parties should be able to along with countless pressure groups. These parasites have stolen so many £bns from the public purse and received so much dirty oligarch money for favours they need naming, shaming, and ideally charging and jailing. The campaign can’t get dirty enough IMHO. We need to rip these thieving criminal shits apart. Expose exactly who and what they are and exactly what they did to this country.
I have never voted Tory in my life but I don’t enjoy reading this kind of tribal vitriol.

Correct.

5-10 years of neoliberal tinkering (at best!) under Labour.

Followed by a renewed, far-right Conservative Party (or, less likely, Reform).

To quote another poster, on another thread, it will be "hilarious".
I fear there may be much truth in this.

Two litle observations for what they're worth.

First, we've lost the smoking legislation. This is a major deal and I hope whoever wins revives it.

But second, if Labour win, they will face one of the most structurally challenging situations of any incoming Government since the 70s.

First, we've lost the smoking legislation. This is a major deal and I hope whoever wins revives it.

But second, if Labour win, they will face one of the most structurally challenging situations of any incoming Government since the 70s.
We mustn't forget, that people who smoke, don't need to be told, its not good for them, they're not stupid. Secondly, it does not matter, what scenario the ,almost left party inherit, the redtops will see to it, that they can't, do it.

This isn’t wrong but it’s also a cover story, in the same way that Gordon Brown’s spending was a cover story for the coalition. I don’t see it working though. In theory, in their own minds, facing huge structural challenges is a compelling reason for proceeding “cautiously” and a convincing excuse for delivering very little. In reality, huge structural challenges demand the kind of ambitious, contentious policies that they don’t want to consider and are not capable of delivering, having purged everyone who understood the issues. They’re not going to be able to scheme and bullshit their way through the challenges ahead, and if they other strings to their bow they’re keeping quiet about them.

Sadly, the utter uselessness of the Tories means you're unlikely to end up with a hung parliament requiring coalition, which I believe would have been the best result for the UK long term. Not that I think LibDem+Labour would be especially brilliant for the UK, but the price of such a deal, electoral reform, would have left a positive and long lasting legacy...

A split of the right wing vote between Tory and Reform (Ltd) can't be a bad thing, but I still expect the latter to remove themselves from any constituency where their presence might damage the Tory vote... for a price.

Given the current realities, though, the best hope is that the expected huge Labour majority will give the party enough security to drift back towards the fiscal left, because that's what the country needs...

This isn’t wrong but it’s also a cover story, in the same way that Gordon Brown’s spending was a cover story for the coalition. I don’t see it working though. In theory, in their own minds, facing huge structural challenges is a compelling reason for proceeding “cautiously” and a convincing excuse for delivering very little. In reality, huge structural challenges demand the kind of ambitious, contentious policies that they don’t want to consider and are not capable of delivering, having purged everyone who understood the issues. They’re not going to be able to scheme and bullshit their way through the challenges ahead, and if they other strings to their bow they’re keeping quiet about them.

I'd no more look to you for a solution Sean than I would a tin of pilchards.

advertisement

Back