advertisement

General Election 2024

Ask any disabled person about New Labour's work capability assessments.
I remember. I was recovering from the accident and assessed as "2arms, 2 legs, fit for work" . I looked at the criteria, I remember that had I only broken one arm as opposed to both then according to one read of the rules I would have been fit for work the day after the accident. I was in hospital and on morphine, but let's worry about that later, shall we?
This remains absolutely fcck all compared to the wholesale rape and pillage of the poor that has gone on since 2010.

I read who it's from. Yougov.co.uk, OK. Fair enough. Britain for the British.org, no thanks.
Nope. It was a twitter link. Owen Jones linking to a QT clip. Showing Labour’s fence sitting on student fees.

It’s the general point of uncommented links here. Let’s have a reason why it’s posted and why my time clicking through is going to be well spent, in the opinion of the poster. It feels courteous to do so.

Nope. It was a twitter link. Owen Jones linking to a QT clip. Showing Labour’s fence sitting on student fees.

It’s the general point of uncommented links here. Let’s have a reason why it’s posted and why my time clicking through is going to be well spent, in the opinion of the poster. It feels courteous to do so.
Oh yes, I was looking at his other one, from yougov.

Universities are having to operate on the fixed student fee income from a decade ago, it's a question that is well understood. Either fees will have to rise or Labour has to find a share. It's not a difficult one unless the latter is the real answer.

We mustn't forget, that people who smoke, don't need to be told, its not good for them, they're not stupid. Secondly, it does not matter, what scenario the ,almost left party inherit, the redtops will see to it, that they can't, do it.
It’s not about (existing) smokers having their wrists slapped; it’s about a gradually increasing number of years before an adult can legally decide to join in and buy their own. I don’t have massive hopes for its impact as most of the smokers I know started before they could legally do so anyway…

Universities are having to operate on the fixed student fee income from a decade ago, it's a question that is well understood. Either fees will have to rise or Labour has to find a share. It's not a difficult one unless the latter is the real answer.
So £9k a year isn't enough? My degree was time heavy, about 25 hours a week. 3 x 10 week terms. 750 hours a year. £12 per hour per student. Class of 50 iirc, so a cool £450k a year for 750 hours work, £600 an hour.
What the shxtting, utter fcck are they doing for that, and where is £450k for every 50 students going?

So £9k a year isn't enough? My degree was time heavy, about 25 hours a week. 3 x 10 week terms. 750 hours a year. £12 per hour per student. Class of 50 iirc, so a cool £450k a year for 750 hours work, £600 an hour.
What the shxtting, utter fcck are they doing for that, and where is £450k for every 50 students going?
Nowhere near enough these days. Ten years ago you could do it for most subjects outside lab based courses. The Founding council expected universites to hold on to 5% in reserves and that wasn't easy! They need 12k to match inflation and more like £15k for the others now, so where's that going to come from? Staff pay had fallen by 20% over the period from 2010 and that was before the past two years. Many universities are close to bankrupt again.

Nowhere near enough these days. Ten years ago you could do it for most subjects outside lab based courses. The Founding council expected universites to hold on to 5% in reserves and that wasn't easy! They need 12k to match inflation and more like £15k for the others now, so where's that going to come from? Many universities are close to bankrupt again.
This is true, I personally know very senior Uni management who are shedding staff and divesting property. Neither of which is a sustainable plan….

Nowhere near enough these days. Ten years ago you could do it for most subjects outside lab based courses. The Founding council expected universites to hold on to 5% in reserves and that wasn't easy! They need 12k to match inflation and more like £15k for the others now, so where's that going to come from? Staff pay had fallen by 20% over the period from 2010 and that was before the past two years. Many universities are close to bankrupt again.
In which case they can't run a pissup in a brewery. They have a fraction of the aggro that is routine in a school, and at £450k pa for every 50 students what the hell are they doing with it? Does a secondary school run at £9k per student pa?

In which case they can't run a pissup in a brewery. They have a fraction of the aggro that is routine in a school, and at £450k pa for every 50 students what the hell are they doing with it? Does a secondary school run at £9k per student pa?

These are big employers, usually the 3rd in line after the NHS and the local authority in most cities. The major, research universities turnover aroiund £1b per annum. You can't run an operation like that on parents' savings!

Jeremy Corbyn is standing as an independent in Islington North. FWIW I hope he wins it. No idea what his odds are, but probably pretty good.

I'd no more look to you for a solution Sean than I would a tin of pilchards.
Reliably gracious and charming Tim, and the attitude of the Labour right writ small, in both style and substance.

The left had an understanding of the challenges and a some sensible plans for dealing with them, including reforms in social care (which I know you know to be a huge issue). All of that’s just gone now, and not just gone - with the people who developed the policy - but placed off limits, never to be revisited. Because, what, are they going to admit that the left was right, about anything? No ****ing way! What would that make them?

advertisement

Back