advertisement

"Gears" ?

PBB

pfm Member
Is the use of "gears" proper in the context of an advert presented as "want to buy"? I tend to think not as it is a collective noun in such a case.

Since English is your language and not mine I thought it better to ask people in the UK foregoing the US as American English is a mishmash of sorts.

An inquiry from the Commonwealth. Oops I am showing my age!

Thanks.

Is the use of "gears" proper in the context of an advert presented as "want to buy"? I tend to think not as it is a collective noun in such a case.

Since English is your language and not mine I thought it better to ask people in the UK foregoing the US as American English is a mishmash of sorts.

An inquiry from the Commonwealth. Oops I am showing my age!

Thanks.
I think if you are using the work as a noun, then just say ‘gear’. Or ‘kit’ is another common way to describe equipment in a casual way.

Inappropriate use or omission of an "s" on the end of words by non-natives speakers is common enough.

Sheeps
A trouser
Mouses

the list is almost without end but not the end of the world.

Good English there PBB. You put some of us natives to shame.

See also 'vinyls'.

And on the subject of uncountable nouns, I thought value and surgery (as in the operation not the place) were, as in 'good value' and 'had surgery'. But very often I read 'a good value' and 'had a surgery'.

We need to bring back the death penalty for treason, and for murdering the English language. For non-native speakers the latter would automatically be commuted to a sternly-worded warning for a first offence, and public humiliation for a second.

We need to bring back the death penalty for treason, and for murdering the English language. For non-native speakers the latter would automatically be commuted to a sternly-worded warning for a first offence, and public humiliation for a second.

Dats sum awsmazin bangin trufax seesta innit!!

;)

Lego. The plural of which is...Lego. Not Legos! You can check with Lego is you want to argue about it.

Or the one that's being popularized by a generation new to the game. Vinyls!! NooOOOoooo! The plural for vinyl records is vinyl. You have a vinyl collection, not a vinyls collection.

advertisement

Back