advertisement

"Gears" ?

......You would not ask for "equipments"......

Funnily enough, at work we used to do exactly that. "Equipments" would differentiate the different types of equipment - LNAs, Down/up Converters, Power Amps, Local Oscillators and such - and "Units" would be used for the individual boxes. But I suppose it was just "technobabble shorthand"

Last edited:
All this makes me take my hat off to those who learn English as a second language and speak damn near perfectly, e.g., Formula One's Toto Wolff.

I'm seeing a disturbing increase in the use of "codes" to describe the source code of a computer program, especially if referencing multiple programs.

Yes, and don't get me started on folk who use "datas" as a plural of "data", when the latter is already the plural of "datum". Bastards!
You are too limited in your view of plurals. Beyond the familiar one, there are an infinite number of super-plurals. "Datas" is the 2nd degree super-plural, also known as Big Data. The 3rd degree super-plural is "datases."

People who give a flying **** about this should be put in the stocks and fruited to death... and no I couldn't give a toss if fruited is a real word or good grammar:D

What if I told you there are an infinite number of infinities?
Then I would have to agree with you, but only up to a certain point.

I will not, however, be agreeing with Arkless' rather harsh take on conversion therapy, though.

People who give a flying **** about this should be put in the stocks and fruited to death... and no I couldn't give a toss if fruited is a real word or good grammar:D
Fruiting to death might take a while. Vegetabling is quicker and more certain, on account of there being more hard and solid vegetables. Potatoing is popular, due to their chuckability, but sweding is probably quicker and surer, in the right hands.

advertisement

Back