advertisement

"Gears" ?

Lego exist only in plural. Something one is not Lego. Like sand. I think.

Technically, Lego is an adjective as it's derived from the Danish words for 'play well' so sticking an 's' on the end doesn't make any sense. If you read any LEGO literature or web page you will never see the word Legos. In fact they have gone further as the American insistence in pluralising their name clearly annoys them. This is a quote that used to be on their web site:

“The word LEGO is a brand name, and is very special to all of us in the LEGO Group Companies. We would sincerely like your help in keeping it special. Please always refer to our products as “LEGO bricks or toys” and not “LEGOS.” By doing so, you will be helping to protect and preserve a brand of which we are very proud, and that stands for quality the world over. Thank you!”

I ment that Lego is something what you stick together, so just only one piece does not make it Lego. Like one grain of sand does not make it sand.

I ment that Lego is something what you stick together, so just only one piece does not make it Lego. Like one grain of sand does not make it sand.

Yes, you could say that eh? The name LEGO already refers to the collection of bricks, that is correct.

Technically, Lego is an adjective as it's derived from the Danish words for 'play well' so sticking an 's' on the end doesn't make any sense. If you read any LEGO literature or web page you will never see the word Legos. In fact they have gone further as the American insistence in pluralising their name clearly annoys them. This is a quote that used to be on their web site:
That's probably more about protecting their trademark than any concern for grammar. It's not a problem in Danish since they mumble everything incomprehensibly anyway.

In the ‘60s there was an expression, that if something ( usually clothes ) was ‘fab & gear’ it was
the trendiest around.
I don’t suppose the word ‘trendy’ is used much these days...

Lego. The plural of which is...Lego. Not Legos! You can check with Lego is you want to argue about it.

Or the one that's being popularized by a generation new to the game. Vinyls!! NooOOOoooo! The plural for vinyl records is vinyl. You have a vinyl collection, not a vinyls collection.
That is unless you sell wallpaper, where it might be more properly called a collection of vinyls. ;)

That is unless you sell wallpaper, where it might be more properly called a collection of vinyls. ;)

Man, I remember the seventies and the horrible wall paper that went with it. my son bought a house last year that had about ten layers of paper on all the walls! He got it all off, bless him.

Don’t certain supposed English speaking countries use the word “trash” to describe male genitalia ? I could swear I’ve heard it on Big Bang Theory. What I’m trying to say is that what difference does it make so long as the other party gets the gist and doesn’t take everything literally. If not, new vocabulary or usage would never appear and we wouldn’t eat grub but grubs and cars would be six-speed but have six speeds in their six-speed box.

Don’t certain supposed English speaking countries use the word “trash” to describe male genitalia ? I could swear I’ve heard it on Big Bang Theory.

I think that would be a Big Bang Theory joke on the actual term, which is 'junk'.

A sensible answer to help the op who presumably has English as a second language. "Gear" in this sense means " equipment ". You would not ask for "equipments" so you don't ask for gears unless you want circular toothed metal objects made in an engineering works.

So you want to buy "vintage gear" or "high end gear" or "used gear".

Unlike the word "gear", I don't think "junk" can be pluralised. Nor Lego for that matter.

Fish - no ‘s‘ for plurals. This even extends to all species of fish, cod, mackerel, salmon etc

Thanks Mr. Pig, for the correction. You are right, it was the word junk. Something got lost in translation from Yank to Spanish to English. I’ve never actually heard it said in a conversation with anyone , only on TV. Anyway I’d hate for my junk to be trashed. A lot of my gear is old junk anyway.

advertisement

Back