advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

They’re trying the same thing with the NHS

“They” have succeeded as well.

The UK is never going back to a hallowed time that never really existed (except, perhaps, as some collective BBC-propagandised delusion). I was going to ask how a small island chooses go forward is down to how hard you want to push back against the forces behind that delusion — but those forces *are* integral to the UK. Is there enough left to save?

“They” have succeeded as well.

The UK is never going back to a hallowed time that never really existed (except, perhaps, as some collective BBC-propagandised delusion). I was going to ask how a small island chooses go forward is down to how hard you want to push back against the forces behind that delusion — but those forces *are* integral to the UK. Is there enough left to save?
They have succeeded so far that is for sure. And succeeded far and wide.

Is there enough to save? Yes. Plenty.

But they have succeeded by selling us a top down society, economy, political system based on the trickle down of wealth, justice and democracy.

We could have a bottom up social system based on the greater good to the greater number, but we would have to identify who “they” are and replace them with “we”.

They have succeeded so far that is for sure. And succeeded far and wide.

Is there enough to save? Yes. Plenty.

But they have succeeded by selling us a top down society, economy, political system based on the trickle down of wealth, justice and democracy.

We could have a bottom up social system based on the greater good to the greater number, but we would have to identify who “they” are and replace them with “we”.

Here's Sharon Graham talking about the scale of profiteering just this afternoon. The figures are really quite staggering...

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ng-crisis-bosses-profits-shareholders-workers

Some of us actually believe in this sh#t and think it is worth reforming:

First thing to do is get the political appointees out and build in independance from Govts of all flavours.

Loads of great things about the BBC, where else can you listen to a documentary on earthworms at 3pm on a rainy Wednesday?

Definitely not moving to Guernsey:

“A valid TV licence is required to watch or download any programmes on BBC iPlayer, as well as watching or recording live TV on any channel. Doing so without a TV licence is a criminal offence and you could be prosecuted and fined up to £1000 (or £2000 in Guernsey).”

The BBC's a fantastic resource, comparable to the NHS in some ways. But it is also a state broadcaster. It clearly needs far-reaching reform, and if you want to appreciate how difficult that will be you only need to recall the response to Corbyn's Alternative McTaggart Lecture, which included proposals for governance and funding reform that would go a long way towards establishing meaningful autonomy. As one, the media class reacted as if he'd threatened to round them up and send them to the gulag.

As with most of Britain's cultural and political institutions, the people running the show will actively fight to maintain established hierarchies even where they themselves are subservient within those hierarchies. They will accept reform over their cold dead bodies. As such I simply don't believe it's achievable. The BBC will allow itself to be destroyed before it will accept genuine change.

Tory MPs doing what Tory MPs do these days:

Jonathan Gullis:

"If the BBC won't hold a high standard for its employees to be rigidly impartial, then they shouldn't be taxpayer funded if they're no different to Sky or any other broadcaster."

Craig Mackinlay:

"Gary Lineker is paid a seven-figure sum annually from BBC licence payers to present football. The BBC climbdown with an apology and carte blanche to do as he pleases on social media is remarkable. His eight million Twitter following is on the back of his ongoing celebrity due to his BBC contract and he can now seemingly push his highly political anti-government agenda with impunity. I know of no other employer who would permit this."

Scott Benton:

"The licence fee is a decades out of date, regressive tax which people shouldn't have to pay simply to watch TV. I've long called for it to be scrapped. This self-inflicted chaos and their obvious unwillingness to enforce impartiality will only strengthen calls for the fee to go."

The BBC's a fantastic resource, comparable to the NHS in some ways. But it is also a state broadcaster. It clearly needs far-reaching reform, and if you want to appreciate how difficult that will be you only need to recall the response to Corbyn's Alternative McTaggart Lecture, which included proposals for governance and funding reform that would go a long way towards establishing meaningful autonomy. As one, the media class reacted as if he'd threatened to round them up and send them to the gulag.

As with most of Britain's cultural and political institutions, the people running the show will actively fight to maintain established hierarchies even where they themselves are subservient within those hierarchies. They will accept reform over their cold dead bodies. As such I simply don't believe it's achievable. The BBC will allow itself to be destroyed before it will accept genuine change.
There are many synonyms for the word hierarchy, synonyms such as ‘pecking order’, ‘rank’ and ‘chain of command’. But only a few antonyms and they are words like ‘disordered’ and ‘chaos’.

If hierarchy is top down, why are there so few positive words for bottom up?

As ever, we seem to be constrained by our language.

And this is the point people miss despite Auntie's blue rinse of late. It just does so much. TBH I would pay the license fee for R3. I would pay double if I didn't ever have to listen to Tom Service, Ian MacMillan or Jess Gillam.

Don’t mind Tom Service, Jess Gilliam can do one to Classic FM as soon as possible please!

Lineker brilliant on handling the mindless doorstepping ‘journalists’ with their mindless questions and sense of self importance.

PS, I hate this type of ‘reporting’ and condemned it when it happened outside Johnson’s house. It is childish group think.

The BBC cannot be impartial while political appointments to the top jobs continue to exist.

Political appoints at the top of the institution are the problem, not the musing of an ex footballer who is ancillary to the institution.

The Tories far-right culture-war/moral panic continues apace with Braverman now desperately trying to pin the UK’s illegal drug trade on her created boat people demons and scapegoats (Twitter). When they have nothing other but hate and division to sell that is what they will double-down on.

The Tories far-right culture-war/moral panic continues apace with Braverman now desperately trying to pin the UK’s illegal drug trade on her created boat people demons and scapegoats (Twitter). When they have nothing other but hate and division to sell that is what they will double-down on.

And she's just making Lineker's point every time she does it. We've already seen arson attacks on migrant centres from far-right nutters egged on by Braverman's and the gutter press's rhetoric.

advertisement

Back