advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

OK Matt (and Arthur)

Put a Houdini out there, as our colleague Jez Arkless with his phono stage. pass one around - not even the £10 postage of the Arkless (VERY good) stage.

Houdini is being put out there. In very many places. It isn't released yet, it is still very early days but plenty are doing the rounds. Do not worry you will be hearing about it... A LOT!

Blacker space?.... Its the final frontier!

Anyways for a rp3/bronze user £300 is simply too much to justify. The claims seem sensational tho but I'll wait until its widely reviewed by the magazine experts and they sell 10s of 1000s them. That said my £300 may be better spent on a new TT

Why not? I am a Funk V and Bronze user. A very modest setup! But with one very key exception. Houdini is designed for modest decks, it transforms them into truly high end performers! Don't dismiss it till you have heard what your Bronze CAN REALLY do!

119590831_10222080238610254_1959380704540027935_o.jpg
119590831_10222080238610254_1959380704540027935_o.jpg

I am willing to accept that this thing makes a difference, don't know why. I would have to hear one in action though.

I guess any improvements in sq would be bigger for direct drive TT's rather than wobbly ones ?

“A fool and his money are easily parted...”

C’mon guys, play nice. You don’t really want to make an enemy of me, what’s the point?
I’m just designing stuff to make analogue sound better, so why keep shooting me?
Esp since most of you are too scared to hear the product.
Mashman, what are you scared of? I have created something new, sorry I stand corrected, I've re-invented it. Forgive me for wanting you (people) to get the most from their records. The problem is that right now it’s not something you can easily audition, so money back.
If we didn’t offer a money back I could see your point. With it, you have loads to gain and nothing to lose.
If you feel we’ve not done you right, you get your money back including postage so I can’t see your point at all.

More significantly, this is now the new norm for Funk:
All decks now come with Achromat, and Bo!ng and Houdini.

Hmm...Thinking about it...Here’s our new launch offer:

Till Oct 14, buy and try a Houdini.
You like it. You keep it.
You don’t like. We refund you, inc postage. Nothing special so far. Now, make sense of this:
Plus...I’ll send you a crisp £5 note to spend on your favourite Smarties!

With all the waffle I’ve read, it’s a pretty safe bet you lot won’t like it. NOW what do YOU have to lose?
It'll be taking candy from a baby - The loser here surely is ME.
(Unless...the Mad Scientist really knows something others don’t?)

In fact I know as much as you do. It’s those testimonials. Let’s ignore that someone somewhat uncharitably asked if they were real people (i.e. stooges).
Well if they are stooges, then with this offer, I really am shooting myself in the foot along with all those who depend on me.
The reality is that we’re seeing it from this side of the fence: To date, 100% satisfaction. Correct. Not a single dissenter.
One person, (who’s not in the list) insisted his £80k system couldn’t be improved. Foolish boy.
No A-B comparison. Just fitted Houdini to his SME V and his £5k cartridge.
We then counted 20 seconds:
“You f***** Bastards”
Hum dee hum hum...

There no getting round it, for foam, Houdini is really clever! Only it has nothing to do with foam. But I maintain it is a step change in analogue.
PLEASE. Try the competition. They work...to an extent. What they’ll do is give you the bug for Houdini, because Houdini is a serious leap up. It is nothing like them.

Expensive? We don't have a UK market. Funk's stuff goes international and as Matt said, we lose 65%. We only get £105 of the £300!

Now consider how much you spend how much on a phone contact, tv package, fuel in your car - all gone as you use it.
Or, how much do you spend on a cartridge and arm?
What’s £300 by comparison?
The best bit is hearing what Houdini does to budget systems!
You have a modest P3 / Elys? Debut? With Achromat and Houdini, suddenly you really are playing with the big boys.

Whichever way you look at it, Houdini will deliver you a bullet: Silver or Blue.
Either it delivers unheard of music performance or a £5 note.

Sorry guys, we are way ahead of you. You needed a kick where it matters and you’ve taken the bait. We’re doing this for you to benefit.
Now go and damned well enjoy it! And 14 days later? You’ve made a fiver. Easy money.

Arthur you're probably not aware of a couple of paid up front designer projects on pfm that haven't yet delivered anything despite hugely long gestation periods.

Pay now refund later probably isn't going to win over many currently.

Good luck with the Houdini, but its not for me.

Arthur you're probably not aware of a couple of paid up front designer projects on pfm that haven't yet delivered anything despite hugely long gestation periods.

Pay now refund later probably isn't going to win over many currently.

Good luck with the Houdini, but its not for me.

There is a big difference in that this isn't vapour-ware.

Andrew

I'd like to say good luck to Arthur K. I met him a few years back and he's a true gentleman. I haven't got the time to go back and check how many of the Houdini critics are LP12 owners happy to pay extortionate prices for their upgrades but compared to Linn prices (Keel - really?) £300 isn't the end of the world.

Am I a Funk owner? No. I once owned an Achromat - that's it. I am an LP12 owner but I'm not a fanboi for the sake of it. I don't know of any Linn product being offered on a get your money back trial. And we aren't all near a Linn dealer who has multiple decks to do an A/B dem. I could spend a load in fuel and many hours driving to try to hear something that might be an improvement but likely to cost more than £300.

I agree this small Houdini part feels a bit expensive for its size but I'd be willing to give AK the benefit of the doubt. Stop carping and take him up on his offer. I might (nothing to lose) except I'm just shelling out for a Karousel so funds a bit tight for now.

My fear is some fanbois on here wouldn't give AK the benefit even if it was an improvement. I'll keep my open mind

Good luck Arthur. I hope you do get a review in a decent magazine

Well I’m in and AK and I have been discussing my order. Just looking forward to receiving it and reporting back.

Marco on the AoS has one and is staggered by its performance.

Many years ago I met Arthur when I took an Export TT to Camberwell for an upgrade, the then home of PT, I later moved on to the excellent Anniversary. My choice was a simple one, I favoured PT over the option of a Linn but to decry their products which include the PIp amp and the Da Capo and later Funk is very odd!

I have moved on to another turntable but my understanding is that years after Pink ceased the decks are still highly sought after.

The trouble is there are many part time arm chair audio guru's (with jobs which are nothing to do with audio) who think they know best on this forum. And if they shout loud enough they think the masses will follow and proclaim they are the new audio messiah. Wake up and smell the ego at work. Some people here can not accept that somebody has designed something which is way above their comprehension.

It may be all bullshit, I have not heard one but if your ears say it is worth £300 then trust your own ears and forget what these know it all's are telling you. You don't need measurements to tell you what you like.

P.S never owned a PT or funk firm product in my life. Just sick of certain people here who think their way is the only way to musical satisfaction.

Always wanted an Anniversary, could never afford one though.

I'll wait for the dust to settle on this and someone has done some measurements.

Zooming in on the pic, wonder if the plastic part is 3D printed? Makes sense to manufacture using that technique as can make something strong but light.

Anyway, back to playing the lullaby versions of the Smiths for the little one.....

It is 3d printed, or partly at least

I really can’t work you out. We have tried to engage but as you say “It’s not for you”. And yet you are still here carping! £300 for a bit of foam”, “It is 3D printed”, other carpers like you want to know “what’s it made of to justify the price?”.

Well what does it matter? First of all. Secondly why do you want to know? The fact is that Arthur has created something unique that actually works and does indeed improve almost any turntable on the planet. For possibly the first time ever you have a chance to fully exploit the performance of your chosen cartridge and hear the master tape experience (a claim bandied about for decades and never delivered) Maybe that’s why the hate! Well direct your frustration elsewhere. Arthur has delivered and soon many of you will be thanking him.

The answer to the question... What’s it made of! Answer: Forty years of blood sweat and tears! Thankfully out of all past heat and pressure has emerged a diamond (possibly even a 3D printed one) The Funk Houdini!

The trouble is there are many part time arm chair audio guru's (with jobs which are nothing to do with audio) who think they know best on this forum. And if they shout loud enough they think the masses will follow and proclaim they are the new audio messiah. Wake up and smell the ego at work. Some people here can not accept that somebody has designed something which is way above their comprehension.

It may be all bullshit, I have not heard one but if your ears say it is worth £300 then trust your own ears and forget what these know it all's are telling you. You don't need measurements to tell you what you like.

P.S never owned a PT or funk firm product in my life. Just sick of certain people here who think their way is the only way to musical satisfaction.

Hi Mega Lord,

I like your viewpoint and thanks for the support. All we want to do is improve sound. I’m very glad there is perspective here!

Matt.

This thread is interesting but really not worth a sh*t until people who voice an opinion have actually tried it. I applaud anyone who is in a position to do so!

My expectation is this device will help some set ups and not others, also there will be some ‘personal preference’ in play. At the very least a product like this might over time help us to understand some issues with some cartridge/arm matching and lead to further evolution of cartridge design. I am guessing it is a bandaid but hey some people (systems) might need this type of repair.

As to free smarties! I live in the USA and we don’t get them, the closest thing being M&M’s (which, it is my opinion suck in comparison). Sounds like a great offer!

advertisement

Back