advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

Arthur you're probably not aware of a couple of paid up front designer projects on pfm that haven't yet delivered anything despite hugely long gestation periods.

Pay now refund later probably isn't going to win over many currently.

Good luck with the Houdini, but its not for me.

This statement really does not equate here. It even feels to me a bit slanderous. You are dealing with a long time contributing member of the audio community (Pink Triangle / Funk). We all have our opinions but I would hope we were not so quick to dismiss a lifetime of contribution to the hobby we all love.

This thread is interesting but really not worth a sh*t until people who voice an opinion have actually tried it. I applaud anyone who is in a position to do so!

My expectation is this device will help some set ups and not others, also there will be some ‘personal preference’ in play. At the very least a product like this might over time help us to understand some issues with some cartridge/arm matching and lead to further evolution of cartridge design. I am guessing it is a bandaid but hey some people (systems) might need this type of repair.

As to free smarties! I live in the USA and we don’t get them, the closest thing being M&M’s (which, it is my opinion suck in comparison). Sounds like a great offer!

All arms resonate, even the expensive one's Houdini is immune to deck suspension as what it cures isn't affected by suspension and thus far all cartridges benefit.

The physics is fundamental here and thus are the effects. We will have dealers/distributers in the states so please visit http://thefunkfirm.co.uk for updates and availability.

For now you can buy direct and we will ship Houdini.

Thanks, Matt.

This statement really does not equate here. It even feels to me a bit slanderous. You are dealing with a long time contributing member of the audio community (Pink Triangle / Funk). We all have our opinions but I would hope we were not so quick to dismiss a lifetime of contribution to the hobby we all love.

Hello again VTA

I suspect that SQ has some sort of agenda and will not ever be on side. I also suspect that as he has already laid out his pitch if he ever does hear Houdini and like's it he will probably have to keep it to himself.

Thanks for your support.

Matt.

Might I gently suggest we have some trade accounts and selling going on in the audio forum and not in the trade section where I understood such might belong? Mods feel free to slap me down, this is your site to run, but Westlake and ONIX debacles aside we as punters need to see who is trade, and (clearly, honestly, openly) selling (as hard as they want) and who is a fellow enthusiast debating pros and cons with our own biases but no money riding on the outcome? I want to hear about this product, and others, but this feels like another blurring of lines.

I wish Funk Firm all the best with this endeavour, it has clearly developed something interesting, and is selling it hard, I would prefer more clarity on the rules of the site of what trade can "get away with" in what isn't the trade forum ...

Is there any difference between a 'pre-release' Houdini and a 'post-release' one?

Might I gently suggest we have some trade accounts and selling going on in the audio forum and not in the trade section where I understood such might belong? Mods feel free to slap me down, this is your site to run, but Westlake and ONIX debacles aside we as punters need to see who is trade, and (clearly, honestly, openly) selling (as hard as they want) and who is a fellow enthusiast debating pros and cons with our own biases but no money riding on the outcome? I want to hear about this product, and others, but this feels like another blurring of lines.

I wish Funk Firm all the best with this endeavour, it has clearly developed something interesting, and is selling it hard, I would prefer more clarity on the rules of the site of what trade can "get away with" in what isn't the trade forum ...

Both myself and Arthur have been transparent. We are logged in as trade on another forum and paid up as such. We were not planning to be on Pink Fish this thread started up quite independently from us and with one individual making potentially damaging legal claims about our patent.
As well as other members making claims for our product which were not accurate and potentially damaging to our launch so we were forced to respond.

That being said we don't wish to be rule breakers so if there is anything we need to do in order to better comply please fire a mail to [email protected] and we will rectify any wrongdoing in due course. Simply talk to us, we play nice. Honest.

I have also contacted the moderators in order to clear up any potential misunderstanding.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Kind regards, Matt.

The Funk Firm

Is there any difference between a 'pre-release' Houdini and a 'post-release' one?

Originally we were short graphics and the special packaging box as well as a small screw. Now essentially you get a complete production Houdini minus the box it comes in which we are still waiting for.

Good question though.

Matt.

Both myself and Arthur have been transparent. We are logged in as trade on another forum and paid up as such. We were not planning to be on Pink Fish this thread started up quite independently from us and with one individual making potentially damaging legal claims about our patent.
As well as other members making claims for our product which were not accurate and potentially damaging to our launch so we were forced to respond.

That being said we don't wish to be rule breakers so if there is anything we need to do in order to better comply please fire a mail to info@thefunkfirm and we will rectify any wrongdoing in due course. Simply talk to us, we play nice. Honest.

I have also contacted the moderators in order to clear up any potential misunderstanding.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Kind regards, Matt.

The Funk Firm

Perfect, thanks :)

If the above is true, tell me why is it £300 and not £150, that's one hell of a margin.

It is apparent that our product is being unfairly compared to other previous attempts to decouple an arm from it's cartridge. Houdini is different, in this case the attempt has been carried through to actual achievement. Such comparisons are in fact erroneous. Houdini is highly developed, sophisicated and has to be manufactured to fine tolerances which you would expect from any precision device. It is much like comparing £500 cartridge and a £5000 cartridge you would expect a difference in engineering and performance, in Houdini's case we believe the performance hike to exceed that between those two cartridges. Given that perspective Houdini represents extroadinary value for money. This really and truely can only be judged if you have ACTUALLY heard the product and what it does. To try and guess it's perceived value before hearing it would be a mistake.

Forty years of blood sweat and tears. Arthur has served his apprenticeship it is enough time he has paid his dues. Houdini is worth every penny and will potentially save you money in other wastefull purchases.

If Houdini is successful and indeed profitable it will be because Arthur has earned that right.

I really can’t work you out. We have tried to engage but as you say “It’s not for you”. And yet you are still here carping! £300 for a bit of foam”, “It is 3D printed”, other carpers like you want to know “what’s it made of to justify the price?”.

This is a forum, and @sq225917 is a long and valued contributor who's helped people many a time especially in the DIY room. His posts are welcome by myself especially.

Your contribution in this thread is like one long cheerleading sales pitch. If you can tone it down, respect and engage with people in a dialogue then it would be a far better thread IMHO.

I'd look to control my message a lot better as a trader.

Forty years of blood sweat and tears. Arthur has paid his dues. Houdini is worth every penny and will potentially save you money in other wastefull purchases.

If Houdini is successful and indeed profitable it will be because Arthur has earned that right.

And besides our pricing is our business! If you don't agree you don't have to part with any cash, now do you?

That doesn't explain a £300 price tag on what should be a £150 product, why are the dealers getting a larger margin than the manufacturer? It doesn't make sense and is highly unusual in the Hifi industry IME

So if it's that good at decoupling there's no need to buy an expensive arm?

I'm quoting myself here from the first page of this thread as I am genuinely still struggling with this point. If Houdini levels the playing field that much is there any point in going beyond a decent budget arm, say RB300 and the like?

I cannot, but then again maybe I can, believe 118 posts, latterly of such vehemence, from (potential) punters, and two traders, the punters not having even seen, leave alone used, a new to market piece of kit.

Why are people getting bogged down in costs and the like? The cost to Joe Average is going to be £300. People will beg, borrow, steal, or even buy, one, if so inclined, and give it a whirl and find out what it does or does not do. For sure, there will be plenty of comment appearing on the www over the next few weeks and months, from people who HAVE seen and used it.

I'm quoting myself here from the first page of this thread as I am genuinely still struggling with this point. If Houdini levels the playing field that much is there any point in going beyond a decent budget arm, say RB300 and the like?

A properly engineered arm with Houdini vs a budget arm with Houdini are brought very much closer to gether. However the properly engineered arm will still have the edge. Albeit a smaller edge. Arms we have tested directly Are Funk FXR vs Rega RB2000 both with Houdini. Technical data availble on request [email protected].

advertisement

Back