advertisement

FUNK Firm - HOUDINI

Matt - you forgot something - I(M)YHO

Thus far the reaction by anyone who has actually heard it (People who actually do know Arthur) are universally 100% bowled over in every case. Arthur has just created the achievement of a lifetime's work in this industry, make no mistake!

I'll put my cards on the table here - never, ever met Arthur, but I am an admirer. He has ploughed his own furrow for many a year and come up with some very clever off-beat thoughts and for all the quality and consistency hassles that he has thrown at him, many justifiably so, his engineering principles have, so far as I know, not been challenged.

I wish him and Houdini well.

I dont imagine that changing the effective mass, having to reset vta and adding a nonspecific secondary compliance between the stylus and its geometric mounting point would be subtle.

Arthur is not in the habit of spreading around his intellectual property willy nilly to just anyone. Especially people he does not know. So what are you hoping to achieve???

????????????????? patents are open to any and all to read - they are in public domain. You may not be aware of that, but the patent system would/could not function otherwise.

So what are you hoping to achieve by making a dumb-ass comment like that?

The arm is now relegated to its original job: To simply and passively carry the cartridge across the record.

Impossible - no record is flat. For every deviation away from flat you get an acceleration of the cart' and tonearm - a simple and inescapable fact of life. F=ma

????????????????? patents are open to any and all to read - they are in public domain. You may not be aware of that, but the patent system would/could not function otherwise.
/QUOTE]
Many years ago, working in research, I used to read abstracts of patents with the sole purpose of then trying to find ways around them.

We also made the point of not patenting a rather nice way of controlling reaction rate in emulsion polymerisations so that other companies wouldn't benefit from the idea.
Should another company have come up with the same system and tried to patent it, we would have claimed "prior knowledge" and stopped their patent.

My point is; I never saw much point in patents :)

So what are you hoping to achieve by making a dumb-ass comment like that?

Impossible - no record is flat. For every deviation away from flat you get an acceleration of the cart' and tonearm - a simple and inescapable fact of life. F=ma

Re: patent? Not what you said! But that’s ok I’ll be the dumb ass if that’s what you need.

Re: Flat records we are talking decoupling arm and cartridge only! The arm obviously performs other functions. That fact isn’t contested.

We also made the point of not patenting a rather nice way of controlling reaction rate in emulsion polymerisations so that other companies wouldn't benefit from the idea.
Should another company have come up with the same system and tried to patent it, we would have claimed "prior knowledge" and stopped their patent.

My point is; I never saw much point in patents :)

Been there, done that - even got the company patent bung for a patent registration, without a patent - don't give things away by patenting it.

It might be that this is the first pink triangle product to break the mold and perform musically, but it would be breaking a long tradition.

As owner of a Plinnk and PT1, I could not disagree more with that comment.
Have you ordered your Houdini?

The original pink triangle wasn’t all that bad to be honest, apart from the belt faff it sounded ok. It’s been a downward spiral from then on though.

It's interesting how we respond to pricing. Let's say it works - not just a little, but a lot (and given Arthur's track record for innovation based on solid engineering principles I doubt it'll be pants) - does the price smart because it's small? Simple? No-one would question if it were a box of tricks that had a nice LED and CNCd front plate. So 'worth' has a strange relativity. If this does level up an RB300 with an SME-V, £300 seems a cheap price to pay. It'll be interesting to see how it performs in the market.

Very perceptive! Yes it works a lot a lot! It’s price is very much related to performance plus also complex construction which isn’t easy to manufacture. And lashings of genius juice from the Mad Scientist!

OK Matt (and Arthur)

Put a Houdini out there, as our colleague Jez Arkless with his phono stage. pass one around - not even the £10 postage of the Arkless (VERY good) stage.

You'd get the same effect with thin sorbothane and just nipped up plastic screws.

I'm gonna make some, call them the 'Paul Daniels'.

You'd get the same effect with thin sorbothane and just nipped up plastic screws.

I'm gonna make some, call them the 'Paul Daniels'.

Now that is genuinely funny! I like it "Not a lot"! But yes very witty.

I happen to know that the magic of Houdini (see what I did) is that it is a bit more sophisticated than a bit of sorbethene and plastic screws. But that is all I can say.

Have fun though!

Regards, Matt.

advertisement

Back