advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Think this was mentioned briefly earlier, but well worth a listen.

New album from Sam Lee - 'Song Dreaming'. It's pretty epic stuff at times, possibly even a bit much on occasion, but Track 3 'McCrimmon' is a beaut and showcases what a stunning voice he has. Not many vocals around with such a rich tone as Mr Lee's it has to be said.

61faCR-FbuL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

Album even got 5 stars from the Grauniad, so has to be good!?

Think this was mentioned briefly earlier, but well worth a listen.

New album from Sam Lee - 'Song Dreaming'. It's pretty epic stuff at times, possibly even a bit much on occasion, but Track 3 'McCrimmon' is a beaut and showcases what a stunning voice he has. Not many vocals around with such a rich tone as Mr Lee's it has to be said.

61faCR-FbuL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255%2C255%2C255.jpg

Album even got 5 stars from the Grauniad, so has to be good!?
Got several of his albums and should be getting this one for my birthday.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I've just ordered From The Ground by - wait for it - From The Ground (Ali Hutton and Laura-Beth Salter) after hearing 3 tracks on Anna Massie's Travelling folk programme. A mix of songs, instrumentals and spoken word over music. Looking forward to getting the album (release date 29 March). There are 2 tracks on Bandcamp now, or 3 on Travelling Folk.

Seems to be a healthy folk scene up north Maccar. Maybe the 'Sussex Wit' brief band of (mostly privileged) southern folks, with the lovely Detectorists theme being it's "no.1 pop hit song".. possibly was a useful spark, injecting life back into a flagging UK folk scene around 2010-?

Possibly utter twaddle; just an incling I've considered since then!

For ES fans. A few radio show acoustic songs here I found yesterday, of songs from XO in purest form, the guitar work shines.

Capt

For anyone interested who doesn't know, here is a pretty thorough listing of UK folk festivals. There are separate sections for England, Scotland and Wales (buttons along the top).
I'll wander downtown for a session or two this weekend, when the Sheffield Folk Sessions Festival is on, all free, in 8 local pubs. Mostly for singers and musicians, but no problem if you just want to listen.
I've also booked for Saltburn in August, I went last year and liked the setup.

Seems to be a healthy folk scene up north Maccar. Maybe the 'Sussex Wit' brief band of (mostly privileged) southern folks, with the lovely Detectorists theme being it's "no.1 pop hit song".. possibly was a useful spark, injecting life back into a flagging UK folk scene around 2010-?

Possibly utter twaddle; just an incling I've considered since then!

For ES fans. A few radio show acoustic songs here I found yesterday, of songs from XO in purest form, the guitar work shines.

Capt
Sheffield seems to be a particular hotbed for Folk.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Sheffield seems to be a particular hotbed for Folk.
Yes, it is. as is Newcastle. Both cities are good to live in, have nice countryside around, have folk history and now have groups dedicated to performance development in folk music and song - also universities offering courses in folk music. which attract talented youngsters.

The sessions festival here last weekend was great - well attended, friendly and informal, with performers from all around. Many thanks to the organisers!

BTW, for @The Captain - Joe Danks and Rowan Piggott (aka Old Spot) said that Aberystwyth's Fire in the Mountain festival is getting very positive comments from old-time and Appalachian musicians in the States!

advertisement

Back