advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Oohh the dreamy Hope Sandoval, how can any chap not be smitten by that. Good guitar playing too.

2 fine Kate Rusbies on Front Row I thought, hubby on electric guitar a stunning accompaniment I thought, 2nd song without the brass quartet, I actually preferred like so tbh ( a touch too "Brassed Off" with it I find, a wee bit corny).

Capt
Had a feeling you'd like that.
Haven't listened to Kate yet, but will soon... to be honest I much prefer her earlier stuff before she started on the bigger productions.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

My one ES for the wknd. This is IMO peak ES, from his last album, the second on which he stretched out to 'full band' (XO, then Figure 8) still reverting back to quiet songs for many on it, but with a more ambitious/ fuller production.

Color Bars: he plays piano, guitar, percussion, melotron/ the lot (pretty much on all of Figure 8).

Capt

This is from dec '23. Toria Wooff playing as simple a tune as it gets it seems to me, rather pure & splendid I think.

Played in a luthier's premises, McClaren guitars: many other current solo musicians' clips like this too, showcasing their fine acoustics, including Katherine Priddy playing Icarus (prolly being the 'standout' one I guess).

Capt

Lancashire lass, surprisingly as it sounds like she's stepped right off a Virginia porch to me.

Healthy vibrant North-West (UK) current folk scene perhaps-?

Capt

Yes, if you hadn't said, I would have her down as American, bit of a black mark for that, but I guess it goes with her music.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Yup I'm with you on the black mark- very occasionally a UK musician gets away with it, if convincing, the Stones for eg but I can't think of many others. This lass -just- get's away with it, you gotta be very confident like 'our Mick' though to pull it off.

Do you think there are any US folkies putting on a Lancashire accent Mac-? Maybe there's a George Formby super folky fan.. in Alabama-!

Capt

Yup I'm with you on the black mark- very occasionally a UK musician gets away with it, if convincing, the Stones for eg but I can't think of many others. This lass -just- get's away with it, you gotta be very confident like 'our Mick' though to pull it off.

Do you think there are any US folkies putting on a Lancashire accent Mac-? Maybe there's a George Formby super folky fan.. in Alabama-!

Capt
Lol!

advertisement

Back