advertisement

Focal Sopra 1 amplification...

Amazing to hear how the luxman has been better than the accuphase .good to know

I guess also the tone controls give a bit of flexibility with focal too

Just to be clear, the Luxman is running flat with the tone control and balance circuit disengaged under the "line straight" setting. It is nice to have those features if required someday.

Hello all,
Latest installment of a never-ending catastrophic speaker fail in my room is the beautiful pair of Carrera white Sopra 1 with matching stands. Yes, they look nice. The only problem is, theoretically, one is supposed to listen to them as well.

For a pair of speakers whose main criticism is lacking the lowest octave, as they start dropping dBs down from 47hz, these little guys boom, rattle, grunt, rumble, erupt and resonate the holy dickens in my room threatening to remove the roof from the walls. In other words, they're useless. Amplification is Naim, but on other amps they behave similarly. In a 4mx8m room they are 41cm from the rear wall. That is much too close. Focal calculated the Sopra 1, atleast they told me so, to retain bass reflex performance and tonal balance with supplied foam speaker bungs. They don't work either. Just for the fun of it, here's a handy list of speakers that do not work in my room: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M, PMC 25.22i and now the Focal Sopra 1. I am pretty convinced that it is impossible to have a hifi system in this room without DSP or expensive and unauthorized room treatment. Atleast I can be proud of single-handedly supporting the loudspeaker industry.

FWIW, does anyone have any experience with these speakers or have a suggestion on alternative amplification? I've searched and researched this question for far too long and still have no solution.

Lastly, in your view, would you think it humorous and worthwhile if I were to take them out in the garden and set them on fire while filming it to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" and post it to YouTube? I've been considering that for a while now.

Thanks and best regards.
Yes I had a pair which I enjoyed and paired with Naim Supernait 3 Integrated amp, they worked well together

advertisement

Back