advertisement

Floorstanders to replace LS3/5a

One of the reasons I bought my Wilson Benesch ACT Ones is that the lovely solid wood tops slope downwards towards the front at just the right angle to make them useless as potplant stands or drinks tables. Being such clever little devils, cats are likely to judge them unfeasible as landing pad too.

My cats happily sit on the SCM40s. Sound great too. Of course, you would need to get a more powerful amp to drive them, but worth it if it keeps the feline house ruler happy.

I must be lucky that my cats have never troubled the hi-fi. I braced myself when my ex gave me a kitten years ago. Fortunately he was more interested in scratching the flocked wallpaper in the lounge than the driver surrounds of the big old Heybrooks.

I was lucky to be there when he readied himself to launch onto the turntable (lid on, not playing). I threw my cluttered keyring near him onto the floor & have never seen a cat leap so up & back before or since! Sudden, loud noises from an unexpected quarter are the best thing to deter cats IME. If they know it comes from you they learn to continue their behaviour if you’re not around. I found a water pistol to be ineffective in this regard.

If you do a search for “Cat Scat Mat” on Amazon, you’ll find a possible deterrent. I use one on the top of my amplifier over the vents. You can cut them to size.

I must be lucky that my cats have never troubled the hi-fi. I braced myself when my ex gave me a kitten years ago. Fortunately he was more interested in scratching the flocked wallpaper in the lounge than the driver surrounds of the big old Heybrooks.

I was lucky to be there when he readied himself to launch onto the turntable (lid on, not playing). I threw my cluttered keyring near him onto the floor & have never seen a cat leap so up & back before or since! Sudden, loud noises from an unexpected quarter are the best thing to deter cats IME. If they know it comes from you they learn to continue their behaviour if you’re not around. I found a water pistol to be ineffective in this regard.
Our female cat, as a kitten years ago, walked towards my speakers in the listening room and put out her paw. My resulting scream at her was apparently audible at the end of the garden.

I think she got the message as neither her nor her brother have subsequently shown any interest in my hi-fi or any speaker grilles, which is a relief as Beolab 90s are pretty much all grilles!

advertisement

Back