advertisement

Floorstanders to replace LS3/5a

CTank

pfm Member
Considering selling my LS3/5a V2’s as the cat won’t be happy until he’s pushed them off their stands!

I’ve never been a fan of floorstanders, but they seem like great material value by comparison to little BBC style monitors. For example, Spendor S8e, £600 on Ebay.

Amplifier would be Primaluna valve amp, around 30wpc. Room 3mx4m, but with an open staircase. Terrace house, so listening levels constrained.

Any recommendations?

Target R4’s and some more blutac. :)
I did think of this, but preferred the sound of open stands when I swapped. I’m also curious as to whether fixing BBC cabinets rigidly to the stand, goes against the design principles.

I did think of this, but preferred the sound of open stands when I swapped. I’m also curious as to whether fixing BBC cabinets rigidly to the stand, goes against the design principles.

I’ve not liked blutac between my LS3/5as & the heavy sideboard they’re on; plastic bumpers seem to work best. Blutac might work well with lighter stands though - suck it & see!

Cut a couple of pieces of white-board (or similar art supply) put them on top of the speakers. My cats don't jump on top of my speakers since I started doing this. Make the board be a little deeper/wider than the speakers.

Just to add, he doesn’t sit on the speaker, but uses it as a launching pad to sit on top of the records (it just gets better, doesn’t it?). The whole arrangement rocks from side to side alarmingly.

Any love for floorstanders? They don’t seem to get much love on forums. Lesser performance, or just unfashionable?

Just to add, he doesn’t sit on the speaker, but uses it as a launching pad to sit on top of the records (it just gets better, doesn’t it?). The whole arrangement rocks from side to side alarmingly.

Any love for floorstanders? They don’t seem to get much love on forums. Lesser performance, or just unfashionable?
Floorstanders (don't) rock!

To my ears, floorstanders never image quite the way standmounts do, in typically smallish listening rooms.

That said, perhaps get gravity to help provide a bit of feline protection?

Why not try some weighty granite slabs on top of the LS3/5as?

If it works, you could get some gucc-looking granite perfectly cut to match the top of your speakers.

Any thoughts about ESL 57 for @CTank ? I've never heard them but I'm curious to know if they have a similar timbre to his LS3/5a. And they're certainly floorstanders!

I certainly prefer floorstands over standmounts. I tried to live with standmounts several times, but every time I have to conclude I miss solidity. Subs don't solve that issue for me. So here's some love for floorstands! Never heard 3/5's so I can't give you advice on what to look for.

Any thoughts about ESL 57 for @CTank ? I've never heard them but I'm curious to know if they have a similar timbre to his LS3/5a. And they're certainly floorstanders!
Would love a pair, but lack the space behind them. Also, they do look a little like a cat scratch pad!

Not a floorstander but how about Wilmslow Audio LS3s - the reason they may work is that I believe they are made to go right up against the wall, so there could be a way of putting them safely on a shelf. You could ring Wilmslow Audio and check that. There's a cheap made up pair on ebay now.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
3m x 4m room I would stick with standmounts. Personally I prefer standmounts over floorstanders even in larger rooms. There are small, medium and large standmounts. The standmounts I own are medium sized with 7.5" and 8" drivers.

advertisement

Back