advertisement

F'ing ebay tossers

They put my paypal account into negative balance as soon as the case was opened and then took the money by direct debit shortly after deciding in his favour. They have now frozen both my paypal and ebay account as a seller of fradulent goods. I've got a Linn tonearm and lp12 hinges with brackets I won in auctions I can't pay for now and that has resulted in non paying bidder reports against me.

If it's any consolation, and I realise it's probably not much, your account here of what's happened to you will have been read by a lot of people. Every one of them will now be that bit less inclined, if they ever were, to sell high-value items on eBay. This, and the thousands of other stories just like it, will hurt eBay's business*. And it will serve them right. I gave up selling anything worth more than £50 or so on eBay several years ago when I realised just how unsafe it was and how high-handed and arrogant eBay are towards sellers.

VB

*Actually I've heard it said that eBay are no longer interested in being a kind of online car-boot sale, handling countless numbers of transactions from relatively low-volume sellers. They really want to be a one-stop store front for much bigger players. I don't know if it's true. But it's entirely consistent with their behaviour, which must be scaring smaller sellers away in droves.

*Actually I've heard it said that eBay are no longer interested in being a kind of online car-boot sale, handling countless numbers of transactions from relatively low-volume sellers. They really want to be a one-stop store front for much bigger players. I don't know if it's true. But it's entirely consistent with their behaviour, which must be scaring smaller sellers away in droves.

Well then, the way still to hurt them is that we don't buy through them, in the same way that I don't use Amazon. I'll pay more to keep the smaller guys alive and on my High Street.

In any case, if you shop around online, eBay is seldom vfm for those kinds of transactions!

P

.........They put my paypal account into negative balance as soon as the case was opened and then took the money by direct debit shortly after deciding in his favour............

Just a thought here: is there any merit in approaching your bank to try and get the money taken by direct debit back under the 'direct debit guarantee' provisions?

Not sure whether they would cover this sort of scenario but could be worth enquiring.

How long before they merge with WalMart and rename themselves Buy'n Large?

His argument was that without the badge it wasn't a roksan Tabriz.

Take the flying lady off a roller it still looks like a flipping roller.

I cant knock ebay too much as it has been brilliant for collectables and other things that I would never have found elsewhere ... As a buyer they have been great ...

I agree. As a place to buy it's pretty good, although I also agree with psi310398 that you can easily get run-of-the-mill 'volume' items for less elsewhere. However it would be a much better place to buy if the sellers with the good stuff weren't frightened off by eBay's genuinely appalling treatment of them. I've got a few nice bits and pieces in store. I may take them down to a stall at Audiojumble or I may offer them on a forum like this one. But eBay buyers will never get to see them. And of course, as in any market where supply is artificially restricted, the prices rise as a consequence :(.

VB

21st century update - caveat emptor, after a long and distinguished history is retired to the comfort home of tried, trusted and workable ideas. Now the new phrase is fvck the vendor, primarily as the old doesn't suit the middleman (=. ebay, the guy taking the cut) but the new does suit him...

For the sake of it, I would take it to the local trading standards. We pay a lot for government and quite frankly it's time they stepped up to the mark to protect citizens from what is nothing less than corporate bullying.

Online transactions and e commerce may be 'new' but the govt need to learn how to run a shit load faster if they're going to be any use in managing real world citizen issues. I am so tired of watching how ridiculously slowly successive govts deal with issues that should be dealt with in weeks, let alone months. Part of the deal in being allowed to trade in the UK should be to abide by our laws, and making sure that our laws are relevant and up to date. Politicians seem to be preoccupied with utter guff half of the time and should be focused on getting civil servants to start reacting a lot faster to our changing commercial environment. And I don't even want to think about the ridiculous missing tax apple/google/starbucks debacle. 1 week and some bright motivated people and we could nail it.

As for you sheister in Germany, put his address and contact details up here and see if anyone is local and feels like popping round to get your property back. I'm a fairly regular visitor to Frankfurt and Nuremberg and would be happy to collect if it's nearby.

21st century update - caveat emptor, after a long and distinguished history is retired to the comfort home of tried, trusted and workable ideas. Now the new phrase is fvck the vendor, primarily as the old doesn't suit the middleman (=. ebay, the guy taking the cut) but the new does suit him...

T&C is the the new caveat emptor.

For the sake of it, I would take it to the local trading standards. We pay a lot for government and quite frankly it's time they stepped up to the mark to protect citizens from what is nothing less than corporate bullying.

Online transactions and e commerce may be 'new' but the govt need to learn how to run a shit load faster if they're going to be any use in managing real world citizen issues. I am so tired of watching how ridiculously slowly successive govts deal with issues that should be dealt with in weeks, let alone months. Part of the deal in being allowed to trade in the UK should be to abide by our laws, and making sure that our laws are relevant and up to date. Politicians seem to be preoccupied with utter guff half of the time and should be focused on getting civil servants to start reacting a lot faster to our changing commercial environment. And I don't even want to think about the ridiculous missing tax apple/google/starbucks debacle. 1 week and some bright motivated people and we could nail it.

As for you sheister in Germany, put his address and contact details up here and see if anyone is local and feels like popping round to get your property back. I'm a fairly regular visitor to Frankfurt and Nuremberg and would be happy to collect if it's nearby.

I'm going to give him until next week to respond and then I'll post his details. He hasn't responded to the ebay case since the 1st July so is probably happy with the arm and wants to keep it and the refund now.

Whilst i am not advocating your actions , it is a matter of common courtesy to advise anybody beforehand of what action you intend to take in default of them failing to fullfill a request .

I already have done, I have no intentions of publishing his address as I am not sure of the legality but I will definately post his name and ebay details to warn others.

advertisement

Back