advertisement

Finding a standalone DAC with minimum bells/whistles

I use a Mojo for headphones duties but recently tried it in my living room setup against the RME DAC. No contest, RME beats it hand down. Mojo lacks sparkle and sounds closed-in. I guess it’s no real surprise, the RME is more than twice the price.
Damn I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy a new DAC. I'll blame you! :)

I thought about mentioning the RME but decided not to because of your stated desire for no bells & whistles which the RME has aplenty. I actually replaced my Roksan with an RME (the updated one) because I couldn't live with the size of it & the headphone amp on the RME allowed me to simplify my set up (the headphone amp on the RME is superb, easily up there with my previous Woo Audio Fireflies without the accompanying noise & electric bill). The RME has what I would describe as a cleaner more hifi SQ the the Roksan which has a warmer sound with a fuller bottom end. All depends what your looking for but I marginally prefer the RME with most of the music I listen to these days. Both are superior IMO to the Mytec Liberty which is another alternative I have also owned which I found a bit to dry & analytical.
All of this is IMO of course & as always you should let your own personal preferences & ears guide you. If you buy carefully 2nd hand then you could probably try out a few DACs at minimum financial risk.
TS

Tony, would you say the RME has a more precise sound? Wondering where (or even if) to go next DAC wise, ultimately looking for more ‘real’, if you know what I mean.

Tony, would you say the RME has a more precise sound? Wondering where (or even if) to go next DAC wise, ultimately looking for more ‘real’, if you know what I mean.
That's an excellent way to describe it, yes it is definitely a more neutral sounding DAC but not in a dry analytical way, I think the best way to put it is it just gets out of the way of the music plus of course if you do want to add more flavour you have numerous equalisation settings to play with.
TS

"a DAC that has been specially designed to measure well on the limited battery of tests performed by some reviewers"

I bought one of these! A Soncoz LA-QXD1 as recommended by ASR. Almost indistinguishable from my Audiolab M-dac - a good thing. Only had it a month so can't attest to its long term reliability.

Musical Fidelity M1 Dac ticks all boxes.
Splendid little box!

Other great sounding „fire-and-forget“ DACs:
-Exposure
-Beresford
-Teddy

As usual, you got to try the available options in your system yourself to find out if it will sound better. I also use Naim amps and used to own the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC(latest asynchronous version). During that time I was listening to CDs on my Krell player more than FLAC through the M1 DAC. The CD player sounds better than the DAC.

I later bought a Chord QBD76 DAC to replace the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC after receiving a recommendation here. This DAC changes everything. I'm not exaggerating here, it's no joke that the M1 sounded broken next to the Chord. Music just sounds real and lifelike with the Chord. It's good music. With the M1 DAC it's just sound. The M1 was instantly sold once the Chord came in.

I am not sure how the lower range Chord models would compare but it would be worthwhile to explore the Chord and other options. Just not the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC that's recommended here and on the Musical Fidelity thread, sorry. I didn't post on the other thread as I don't want to spoil the party.

Haha, funny hobby this is.
I really treasure the M1 and find Chord DACs thin & sterile sounding. Although I havn‘t heard a QBD76 yet....

Haha, funny hobby this is.
I really treasure the M1 and find Chord DACs thin & sterile sounding. Although I havn‘t heard a QBD76 yet....
Yes, funny hobby. Perhaps system matching and musical preference play a role. Nevertheless, it's the other way round for me. The M1 sounded thin and sterile, mechanical. The Chord specifically QBD76 sounds organic and full of life. Just good music. I recently got a balanced cable for the Chord, replacing the single-ended that's been in use all this while. Things just got better.

Perhaps the Chord DAC you tried may be inferior, or there's something else.

A Exposure 2010s2 DAC sounds wonderful imo, very “musical” is often used to describe the sound.

There’s a silver one on EBay atm, if it was black I’d consider it myself but I’m vain:rolleyes:

I’d check with the seller to confirm whether USB is 24/96 or 24/192 before buying, there’s DSD & non DSD versions, either sounds nice regardless.

M1 Dac was one of the best I’ve heard in its price bracket. Detailed mids, a decent treble but most noticeably an articulate bass performance most likely due to its choke regulation power supply I didn’t find it in the least sterile. I would describe it as nimble.

A Exposure 2010s2 DAC sounds wonderful imo, very “musical” is often used to describe the sound.

There’s a silver one on EBay atm, if it was black I’d consider it myself but I’m vain:rolleyes:

I’d check with the seller to confirm whether USB is 24/96 or 24/192 before buying, there’s DSD & non DSD versions, either sounds nice regardless.

It's described as 2010 and they've been going for half that price on this forum (although the one advertised is like new). I think S2 is what indicates the later DSD model, which goes for more, I could be wrong (going off memory, not double checked). If this isn't the S2 then it's well overpriced, if it is, it's still not exactly a bargain, they go for less on eBay. I watch the original versions on eBay (and here) as I do fancy one (in indulgent monents).

It's described as 2010 and they've been going for half that price on this forum (although the one advertised is like new). I think S2 is what indicates the later DSD model, which goes for more, I could be wrong (going off memory, not double checked). If this isn't the S2 then it's well overpriced, if it is, it's still not exactly a bargain, they go for less on eBay. I watch the original versions on eBay (and here) as I do fancy one (in indulgent monents).

They’re all 2010s2 DACs, all 24/192 via spdif and BNC, the non DSD being 24/96 via USB and the DSD being 24/192. I picked one up for £300 late last/early this year on PFM.

I was referring to the silver Exposure DAC that was bin or best offer @£520 (seems to have gone), not the one for £895!

Couple thoughts -
I don't think you need to change anything in your system. I haven't heard each piece of gear you list but owned Naim contentedly for many years and owned and enjoyed the dacmagic.
1. I have learned that the biggest factor in enjoying the music is contentment. As a matter of fact, my counsel to anyone is to simply stop worrying about what could sound better and to enjoy the music. I believe we've all had the experience of really grooving on music over very low-fi systems without any thought about its shortcomings. So my first piece of advice is to stop thinking about upgrading. It's one thing to enjoy reading about this stuff, but detach your self from the upgrade obsession.
2. If you really want a simple, better sounding DAC , try an MHDT Orchid or similar.

They’re all 2010s2 DACs, all 24/192 via spdif and BNC, the non DSD being 24/96 via USB and the DSD being 24/192. I picked one up for £300 late last/early this year on PFM.

I was referring to the silver Exposure DAC that was bin or best offer @£520 (seems to have gone), not the one for £895!

That explains it - thanks!

advertisement

Back