advertisement

Films/Movies, Old & New - Recommendations and Reviews

I'm not a big fan of the modern movies, but "Bullet Train" was surprisingly satisfying to watch! Not any sort of masterpiece, of course, but definitely worth rewatching after some amount of time. Gave me a strong vibe of old school comedy/action movie from 90th, like the one, where Jackie Chan likes to take a part.

I have managed to get all the family to see Bullet Train, i saw it last year and I have been pushing it since -
Brad Pitt and a host of others plus a few cameos. Fast pace, great dialogue, funny and lots of fight scenes. Channing Tatum makes me smile every time! Seen it 6 times at least so far (DvD)

I ain’t no Diesel…

Have you considered to try the Blu-ray? With all respect, but I personally can hardly imagine - how it's possible yo enjoy movies on modern 4K TVs, using DVD as a source(
I've tried a few times, but I simply can't justify the picture quality. 250£ Panasonic DP-UB450 player, upscaling Blu-rays 1080p to 4K so good, that the difference with actual 4K Blu-ray HD disks are very small. The price difference between DVDs and Blu-Rays are not that big now days, chosing one instead of another, based on economical reasons.
My highest recommendation is to give a try for Blu-Ray, if you haven't done it yet.

Have you considered to try the Blu-ray? With all respect, but I personally can hardly imagine - how it's possible yo enjoy movies on modern 4K TVs, using DVD as a source(
I've tried a few times, but I simply can't justify the picture quality. 250£ Panasonic DP-UB450 player, upscaling Blu-rays 1080p to 4K so good, that the difference with actual 4K Blu-ray HD disks are very small. The price difference between DVDs and Blu-Rays are not that big now days, chosing one instead of another, based on economical reasons.
My highest recommendation is to give a try for Blu-Ray, if you haven't done it yet.

Nothing to do with money. With the reproduction equipment we have, and the television, we find DvD’s give a great visual experience. We watch a lot of films.
We have a lot of films, including blu-ray and VHS .
(upscaling blu-ray etc via LG oled evo)

It's a shame we never get to see David Lynch's original, extra-long version of Dune. Whatever, I think the new Dune's brilliant & can't wait for part 2. I bought part 1 on 4k Bluray disc, which is superb in both sound and picture quality.

I watched new Dune again this evening.
Enjoyed it more this time.
Sumptuous on the eye. Equivalent incidental soundtrack,

I think my mistake is to compare the old and new Dune - they both stand up.
interesting that I would have liked Paul’s thought commentary as per 1984 Dune in the new version.
still prefer the 1984 version ‘hand in box’ scene!

I thoroughly recommend the hugely entertaining ‘Boss Level’ on Amazon Prime as a no-nonsense b-movie action flick (with a surprisingly strong supporting cast including Naomi Watts, Michelle Yeoh and Mel Gibson).

I record a lot of films off the TV, particularly film noir. I've done it for a few decades, firstly on VHS then later on a Humax tuner/recorder as well as replacing ones I had on VHS when they became available. With my oldest Humax you can file them in different categories.
I've a second one for stuff I know I won't want to keep for long.
One more contemporary film I watch at least once a year, is this. So many interesting relationship stories as well as a murder mystery.

I can recommend it highly.

Another favourite is this. A thriller/romance and you get a bit of Brandy Carlile.
There's the music soundtrack on YouTube.

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema. You can buy the DVD when it is released for the price of two cinema tickets, or wait until it comes round and is shown on TV. Few films these days I'd suggest are worth no more than doing this.

I record a lot of films off the TV, particularly film noir. I've done it for a few decades, firstly on VHS then later on a Humax tuner/recorder as well as replacing ones I had on VHS when they became available. With my oldest Humax you can file them in different categories.
I've a second one for stuff I know I won't want to keep for long.
One more contemporary film I watch at least once a year, is this. So many interesting relationship stories as well as a murder mystery.

I can recommend it highly.

Another favourite is this. A thriller/romance and you get a bit of Brandy Carlile.
There's the music soundtrack on YouTube.

I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema. You can buy the DVD when it is released for the price of two cinema tickets, or wait until it comes round and is shown on TV. Few films these days I'd suggest are worth no more than doing this.
Lone Star is one of my favourites - very interesting on the tensions between Anglo and Mexican residents in a Texas town. And a great role for an aging Kristofferson.
I’ve never got into Blu-ray, initially because it seemed expensive, more recently because my Pioneer LX50 DVD player and LG telly do such a good job upscaling DVD images. I still prefer watching DVDs to unearthing things to watch on the various platforms. The otherwise excellent LG TV has a really clunky interface that makes tracking down the film you want a PITB.

Lone Star is one of my favourites - very interesting on the tensions between Anglo and Mexican residents in a Texas town. And a great role for an aging Kristofferson.
I’ve never got into Blu-ray, initially because it seemed expensive, more recently because my Pioneer LX50 DVD player and LG telly do such a good job upscaling DVD images. I still prefer watching DVDs to unearthing things to watch on the various platforms. The otherwise excellent LG TV has a really clunky interface that makes tracking down the film you want a PITB.

We used to have an "elephant in the corner" big LG TV, must be thirty years ago, it was brilliant. It had a six way graphic equaliser so you can balance the sound to suit what you were watching.
Back to Lone Star, I find it sad about Elizabeth Peña, who reportedly more or less drank herself to death. What a pity.

A lot of dark tastes on here. Idiocracy is definitely a B-movie and I never would have watched it if a mate hadn’t mentioned it a couple of years ago. Adam Sandler IIRC who is put into hibernation and wakes up to find he is the most intelligent person left, basically whilst intelligent people are rationalising over and not having children the fast food brigade are breeding regardless, so a tongue in cheek version of where that can lead to in the long run.

I have managed to get all the family to see Bullet Train, i saw it last year and I have been pushing it since -
Brad Pitt and a host of others plus a few cameos. Fast pace, great dialogue, funny and lots of fight scenes. Channing Tatum makes me smile every time! Seen it 6 times at least so far (DvD)

I ain’t no Diesel…
useless fact ..apparently 400 people bought the dvd last month on amazon !

advertisement

Back