advertisement

Films/Movies, Old & New - Recommendations and Reviews

Stanley Kubrik had special camera lenses made, so that he could film by actual candlelight - this gives these scenes a wonderful visual quality. Ryan O'Neal said that Kubrik forced him into places he never thought he could go.

Interestingly, and ironically, given the recent cinema release, Kubrik's original project was a life of Napoleon. However, another Napoleon-based film failed at the box office, hence the deviation into Thackeray.
From Wikipedia:
Kubrick was "determined not to reproduce the set-bound, artificially lit look of other costume dramas from that time."[6] After "tinker[ing] with different combinations of lenses and film stock," the production obtained three super-fast 50mm lenses (Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/0.7) developed by Zeiss for use by NASA in the Apollo Moon landings, which Kubrick had discovered.[6][15] These super-fast lenses "with their huge aperture (the film actually features the lowest f-stop in film history) and fixed focal length" were problematic to mount, and were extensively modified into three versions by Cinema Products Corp. for Kubrick to gain a wider angle of view, with input from optics expert Richard Vetter of Todd-AO.[6][15] The rear element of the lens had to be 2.5 mm away from the film plane, requiring special modification to the rotating camera shutter.[16] This allowed Kubrick and Alcott to shoot scenes lit in candlelight to an average lighting volume of only three candela, "recreating the huddle and glow of a pre-electrical age."[6] In addition, Kubrick had the entire film push-developed by one stop

The entire Wikipedia article is an extremely interesting read, recommend if you are an admirer of the film.

@vince rocker I must see this then. I kinda wanted to keep Portrait.. separate you see, on it's own shelf as it were, hence not actively seeking out any other of Sciama's. But you've persuaded me.

Re-watched 'Carlito's Way' yesterday.

I enjoyed it the first time round, and again a decade or more ago since release. Now it struck me as really rather better than I remembered; with Al Pacino delivering a superb performance - one of his very best, nuanced in its subtlety, the inner struggle to restrain his instincts appropriate to a former 'big guy' living with no small remorse / a real desire for a more-normal life and not just for himself. Oh - and part of that heft also lies with the rest of the really quite-small, ensemble cast and supporting performances.

tl;dr:
Everyone remembers Scarface for its brash upfront sustained assault on the senses, around a magnetic character. It remains great entertainment!
- But De Palma's later film Carlito's Way revisits sim territory from another perspective/ in a very different way: and is the better film.

Very good summary Martin. Scarface was certainly told in broad strokes whilst Carlito's Way is a more subtle style of story telling.

The theme of regret/contrition is one that Pacino has visited a few times, namely in Godfather pt3. A much maligned film, in my opinion, mainly because the first two are quite brilliant, Coppola setting a very high bar for himself. But it still works and carries a lot of weight in demonstrating that the bonds, the manipulative and exploitative nature of 'Family values' in the world of the Mafiosi, is a double-edged sword. Once you're in, you're in; and there's no escape. GF pt3 also has a very telling and powerful performance from Andy Garcia, Vincent representing not only a loose cannon but the sometimes violent character that Michael once was, and that he now rails against.
And it's Vincent who becomes the new Don.

tl;dr: Godfather pt3 is my recommend.

John

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Barry Lyndon, quirky, slow paced and a feast to the eye. The plot twist I liked most was his encounter with the Prussian Officer who pretends to believe his story then press gangs him. The part would be played by Christof Waltz no doubt these days.
Last night The Draughtsman’s Contract which no doubt owes a lot to Kubrick. It’s put me in the mood for Sir Henry at Rawlinson End.

I really enjoyed Barry Lyndon, quirky, slow paced and a feast to the eye. The plot twist I liked most was his encounter with the Prussian Officer who pretends to believe his story then press gangs him. The part would be played by Christof Waltz no doubt these days.
Last night

I watched it first time on the BBC on a Saturday afternoon a good while back, thoroughly enjoyed it, I was hoping to catch it on the big screen again but alas no and bought the DVD which for some reason I did not enjoy as much as the first viewing. great film though

Last night The Draughtsman’s Contract which no doubt owes a lot to Kubrick. It’s put me in the mood for Sir Henry at Rawlinson End.

Barry Lyndon- The film that got me interested, then later into the film biz/ camera department.
I saw it on tv in late 70's off school, ill & bored aged 8, & it's languid storytelling enveloped me totally (I think there must have been a Kubrick 'boring afternoon movie slot' as I seem to recall mesmerised by Lolita too that week). Then at school aged 18 we had a film history brief few lessons.. & the camerawork used as an example by our film-passionate teacher (he chose the masterful barn duel scene). I linked the two & 'bingo' ..Cameras.. did I have a career path to -possibly- follow? Years later after tv cam work I got a slot as a 16mm camera trainee on a bbc period drama.. continued on with this camera team for a year+, & went on to Load on commercials (35mm) & a few feature films too (24 Hour Party People, The Parole Officer being 2).

I often thought of that scene in Barry Lyndon, & being proud of my journey whilst watching our Panavision 35mm glide silently along a long track somewhere, shooting some scene.

Capt

One of my favourite film noir is Laura.
Great theme by David Raksin.

Totally agree. I think I've only seen it twice in my 74 years, both on TV. Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll see if I can find a DVD release.

I have a 78 rpm disc of Dick Haymes singing the theme tune.

I have a real soft spot for Haymes, and for his frequent collaborator Helen Forrest, forties singers who did great stuff together and individually.

DVD which for some reason I did not enjoy as much as the first viewing.

I recall watching 'Somewhere in Time' on Saturday afternoon TV a couple of decades ago and being totally absorbed by it. It never seemed to reappear on TV, despite now being something of a 'cult' film. So I bought the DVD and found it all rather cartoonish and silly.

Speaking of 'cartoonish'. I also have a soft spot for the original 1970 'Phantom Tollbooth' 'Live action/animated morality tale. For some reason DVD's seem stupidly expensive..

I'm also a huge fan of the original Robert Donat 'Goodbye Mr Chips'. Pure sentimentality but with some enduring messages. The Martin Clunes version is also very creditable.

For 'Throwaway' action thriller stuff that's not too challenging.. 'Man on a Ledge' 2012 is worth a watch, though hardly a critical success. I recall seeing a black and white B movie of the same name back in the 1950s. Think this is it.. https://www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b6be803bf

Barry Lyndon- The film that got me interested, then later into the film biz/ camera department.
I saw it on tv in late 70's off school, ill & bored aged 8, & it's languid storytelling enveloped me totally (I think there must have been a Kubrick 'boring afternoon movie slot' as I seem to recall mesmerised by Lolita too that week). Then at school aged 18 we had a film history brief few lessons.. & the camerawork used as an example by our film-passionate teacher (he chose the masterful barn duel scene). I linked the two & 'bingo' ..Cameras.. did I have a career path to -possibly- follow? Years later after tv cam work I got a slot as a 16mm camera trainee on a bbc period drama.. continued on with this camera team for a year+, & went on to Load on commercials (35mm) & a few feature films too (24 Hour Party People, The Parole Officer being 2).

I often thought of that scene in Barry Lyndon, & being proud of my journey whilst watching our Panavision 35mm glide silently along a long track somewhere, shooting some scene.

Capt
Wow.Do you find yourself crit’ing the cinematography when you’re watching films?

Wow.Do you find yourself crit’ing the cinematography when you’re watching films?

Hi TheDecameron, yes I guess so but only ever as a fanboy. I just know how scenes likely shot, which lens, lighting/ lamp positions, which camera crane etc. And I look for camera in end credits (Arriflex 435, or 'Filmed in Panavision' meaning simply this camera used, nothing more). And I can tell whether Fuji film or Kodak used.. the kodak 702350?numbers (different stocks etc, wrote on a big camera magazine I'd just emerged from my darkroom having loaded with a fresh roll/ unloaded the exposed one- primarily the Loader's job, along with the Clapper board xyz, & the 2nd camera assistant you are too: Loader is one of the busiest jobs on set).. kinda still half etched in my memory! Plus the smell!

I read one book which inspired me as much as Barry Lyndon, whist at art school: El Mariachi, the story of a very low budget 16mm feature shoot.. later redone as a 35mm cult classic (Tarantino? I forget). And also inspired by another: an autobiography of a US Loader's journey from student Arri SR16 shoots, to 35mm commercials. As it turned out my career followed an identical path as this chap's.

Capt

I read one book which inspired me as much as Barry Lyndon, whist at art school: El Mariachi, the story of a very low budget 16mm feature shoot.. later redone as a 35mm cult classic (Tarantino? I forget).

Robert Rodriguez. He directed both the 16mm original and the remake.

Both very highly recommended. :)

Totally agree. I think I've only seen it twice in my 74 years, both on TV. Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll see if I can find a DVD release.

I have a 78 rpm disc of Dick Haymes singing the theme tune.

I have a real soft spot for Haymes, and for his frequent collaborator Helen Forrest, forties singers who did great stuff together and individually.

I've always liked that tune, I occasionally play it on my "leccy piano." None of that "three chord nonsense."

https://app.box.com/s/rmvo76kx22r01xhpini1x939oacpr2uw

Mentioning Dick Haymes, brought back a memory, I've an album of his I bought fifty-odd years ago "Moonbeams."
It has this on it another favourite tune. He was an underrated singer in my opinion.

I can play that too.

Some great chord progressions in that.

https://app.box.com/file/688465999710?s=zy12psxmnh1f3nj8ylh9eqqy4pmjmfow

Enjoying this thread.

Seen quite a few suggestions of films I’ve seen and would agree with them*, plus plenty of new films to check out.

Another Talking Pictures channel fan, if I have a free Friday night, I do enjoy a classic sci-fi/horror movie night with the movie introductions from Caroline Munro. If Price, Cushing or Lee are involved I’ll probably watch it. I regularly tune in to Legend (formally the Horror Channel) on a Sunday evening/night as it does show some classic movies from that genre from the 50-70’s.

*Under the Skin is the exception, you either love it or hate it, I’m in the latter category.

I’m currently watching I, Claudius & it’s utterly fascinating. The Gold Robbers on TPTV is excellent, do love a bit of old & slow telly.

With the OP intentions in mind, I’m going to suggest/review films available on free streaming services.

The Thing from Another World (BBC iPlayer) - A sci-fi classic, while the 1982 John Carpenter version trumps it, even though this is over 70 years old, this is still needs to be seen.

Hell Comes to Frogtown (Pluto TV) - Starring “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, with a ridiculous plot, this does fall into the category of “if you are really bored and have 90 minutes you have nothing better to do with”. One of those films that is (maybe) intentionally bad it’s almost quite good.

King Kong (BBC iPlayer) - It had been almost 30 years since I’d last seen this, I did not realise how much Peter Jackson’s version had been influenced by it until I had recently rewatched it (I grew up knowing the 1976 King Kong with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange). Another classic.

Coherence (Plex) - A very low budget movie that is a real clever head f**k that keeps you guessing and trying to work out what the hell is going on. Worth watching to just appreciate what can be done with a minimal budget and a very limited filming timeframe.

@Blackmetalboon

Great!

I will chase those up.
(Apart from the 1933 King Kong which I saw again not that long ago - still makes me well up, just like it did the first time I saw it in the 1970’s)

Funnily enough, we watched The Thing this year, which I have on DvD, not sure if I have seen the older version, although I think I have.

@Blackmetalboon The Thing From Another World is a real favourite of mine. It has some great, snappy dialogue and is very effective. Carpenter’s version does follow Campbell’s tale more closely regarding the creature’s shape shifting abilities, but I’m fonder of the earlier version - maybe nostalgia given the viewings of it I had as a boy on tv!

advertisement

Back